The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

If Uni of Reading goes bust?

Hi.

Does anyone one know what would happen if Reading University or any university for that matter went bust?

One of the courses I am interested in is at reading uni but a friend of my dads who works there said they are in real financial difficulties and may go bust. When I looked at the local press it is full of department closures and staff redundancies.

My fear is that I start a course there and they close the department. What would happen? Would the uni have to find me another place? Also would my degree be worth anything if the university went bust?

Any one help with this? Should I just choose somewhere else? Is there anyway we can see the finances of a university?

Thanks all. :smile:
You'd finish the year and have to apply for direct entry somewhere else I presume. Not really worth the risk imo, go elsewhere from the start.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
martymarty89
Hi.

Does anyone one know what would happen if Reading University or any university for that matter went bust?

One of the courses I am interested in is at reading uni but a friend of my dads who works there said they are in real financial difficulties and may go bust. When I looked at the local press it is full of department closures and staff redundancies.

I wonder what position the friend of your Dad's occupies at the university.

Here is a copy of the annual accounts. The consolidated accounts include Henley Business School and all of the related institutions.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/finance/accounts/docs/Accounts2009.pdf

Reading made an operating profit last year (which is more than Oxford did) and increased its cash reserves.

Last year there was a leaked list of four universities said to be "at risk". They were London Met, Thames Valley, Cumbria and Gloucestershire.

No-one can guarantee that any university will not collapse but Reading is not one of the prime candidates. Furthermore, Reading's brand means that even if it got into trouble someone is likely to come to the rescue. unlike one or two others.
Reply 3
in view all unis are full it does make an interesting question though?
will tuition fee loans still be repayable
what about people who paid upfront

??
Reply 4
in view all unis are full it does make an interesting question though?
will tuition fee loans still be repayable
what about people who paid upfront

??
Reply 5
god knows what I did there!
Reply 6
martymarty89
Hi.

My fear is that I start a course there and they close the department. What would happen? Would the uni have to find me another place? Also would my degree be worth anything if the university went bust?

Any one help with this? Should I just choose somewhere else? Is there anyway we can see the finances of a university?

Thanks all. :smile:

What's the course?

It is true that there are some redundancies being made in some departments, but Reading certainly isn't in dire financial trouble. This is a difficult time for all institutions, and like nulli says Reading Uni (and the town itself) is in a pretty good position to ride it through and come out the other end.
Reply 7
Live in Reading, I can assure you that there is no way Reading is going to go bust lol. Pretty sure it'd make all the local news if there were such hard times going on there.
Reply 8
Judging on the large amount of buildings being created, and having been recently finished, I reckon their finacial situation is ok. Unless they build buildings with no forethought on their money sitch.

Latest

Trending

Trending