The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've got an interview for 12th November :smile:

Helen Taylor said that Newcastle haven't given her the UKCAT cut-off score, so she's calling anyone with 690 or higher for interview because she thinks they should make the cut off point but she did say that she couldn't guarantee it 100%.

What are you guys doing in terms of preparation?
Reply 41
Original post by hallie.x
I've got an interview for 12th November :smile:

Helen Taylor said that Newcastle haven't given her the UKCAT cut-off score, so she's calling anyone with 690 or higher for interview because she thinks they should make the cut off point but she did say that she couldn't guarantee it 100%.

Damn, missed that by 5 points! :p:

Hopefully if Helen is deliberately overshooting her estimate, the actual cut off will be somewhat lower, though.
Reply 42
I've got an interview for 12th November

How did you find out? Did your ring up? And what's your ukcat? :tongue: sorry about all the questions but i neeeed to know! I got 690. And his Helen taylor like the head of admissions or something? I can't believe people are getting interviews so early. :frown: I just want her to ring. Oh that brings to mind another questions did she ring your mobile or home phone? :tongue:
Oooo that's good to know. I guess we shall have to sit tight and wait then!
Reply 44
Original post by Medicz
Ewwwwwwwwwww Durham! why would you want to live in a place for 2 years and then have to MOVE again.

Gosh, so silly.

Please say that was a joke? :confused:
Reply 45
I applied to Durham...did badly in UKCAT but have extenuating circumstances which are documented with my test score. If they decide to offer me an interveiw, do you guys think i'll be one of the very last?
Reply 46
Original post by jazzy1234
How did you find out? Did your ring up? And what's your ukcat? :tongue: sorry about all the questions but i neeeed to know! I got 690. And his Helen taylor like the head of admissions or something? I can't believe people are getting interviews so early. :frown: I just want her to ring. Oh that brings to mind another questions did she ring your mobile or home phone? :tongue:

well yeah i called her to arrange the date and time of my interview and she just explained everything there are then. Yeah - Helen Taylor is the admissions tutor i think. She rang my home phone, but that was because i hadn't put my mobile number on the form.

I think you should get an interview with 690, obviously presuming the rest of your application was good too. I mean if she thinks over 690 is a safe number to go with, i'm sure when they find out the real cut off you should be above it. :smile:

Sit tight and hope for the best, i guess - good luck
Reply 47
Original post by Jack.O
Damn, missed that by 5 points! :p:

Hopefully if Helen is deliberately overshooting her estimate, the actual cut off will be somewhat lower, though.

i'm pretty sure you'll be fine - i mean, if she thought that 690 would definitely be safe, then its likely scores around 685 would be safe too...
Reply 48
Original post by hallie.x
i'm pretty sure you'll be fine - i mean, if she thought that 690 would definitely be safe, then its likely scores around 685 would be safe too...

Here's hoping - good luck with your interview.
690 might just be a safe overshoot. Mind you our year group is too large with a benchmark of 648, so you never know...
Reply 50
Original post by Beska
It's a troll, Newcastle/Duram: 1) rank by UKCAT, which hasn't been released yet; 2) interview all applicants above the cut-off and; 3) don't give out offers/rejections until March.

Bah.

I pressume you think theres many trolls now, with many interviews? lol
Reply 51
Original post by Hyperbole08
I pressume you think theres many trolls now, with many interviews? lol

No, but I was right. She hasn't guaranteed it 100%. :smile:
Original post by Medicz
Ewwwwwwwwwww Durham! why would you want to live in a place for 2 years and then have to MOVE again.

Gosh, so silly.

Hate to tell you but your going to have to venture out of newcastle during years 3/5 no matter where you start!
Reply 53
Original post by Jack.O
Here's hoping - good luck with your interview.

Aw thanks :smile:
I'm a little worried about it already. :s-smilie:

Good luck with everything too
Reply 54
690 might just be a safe overshoot. Mind you our year group is too large with a benchmark of 648, so you never know...

-_- great. Now i'm worried.
Reply 55
Original post by Beska
No, but I was right. She hasn't guaranteed it 100%. :smile:

Were did you hear that its 8th of Nov till UKCAT is recieved by Unis?
I've checked on UKCAT website and googled it but there is no evidence on this.
Enlighten me pls :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by Medicz
Were did you hear that its 8th of Nov till UKCAT is recieved by Unis?
I've checked on UKCAT website and googled it but there is no evidence on this.
Enlighten me pls :smile:

I believe somebody a few years ago contacted universities about it and they told them, and it's been floating around in the medicine forum since then.
Reply 57
Original post by Beska
I believe somebody a few years ago contacted universities about it and they told them, and it's been floating around in the medicine forum since then.

I some how doubt that then, 'few years' so the timing will change. Dont think its 8 Nov, earlier or later; i dont see why sending UKCAT electrnoically will take such a long time, thats like a month.
Reply 58
Original post by Medicz
I some how doubt that then, 'few years' so the timing will change. Dont think its 8 Nov, earlier or later; i dont see why sending UKCAT electrnoically will take such a long time, thats like a month.

Makes sense. Nobody gives out interviews before the 8th Nov, or at least middle November. Seems the only logical conclusion is the results being released early November.
Reply 59
Original post by Beska
Makes sense. Nobody gives out interviews before the 8th Nov, or at least middle November. Seems the only logical conclusion is the results being released early November.

Or Unis are lazy with there current students and cant be bothered with Medics till later. If this was true, every UKCAT uni (with cut-offs) would send out rejections on more or less the same day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending