The Student Room Group

Dropping Economics A Level but studying Economics at Uni

I am currently doing 4 A levels: Maths, german, economics & psychology.
I want to drop a subject, because 4/5 of the unis I am applying to ask for 3 A levels.
I want to do Economics with German at Uni.
My predicted grades are:
Maths - B (maybe A)
German - A
Economics - A
Psychology A*
I know maths is important for an economics degree, as it is favoured by some of my uni choices. But I don't know how it would be viewed if I dropped Economics after AS but go on to study it at uni? My top choice wants AAA and is an under subscribed course. I am aware that psychology is probably the most irrelevant subject to my degree course out of the 4 but it is the subject I feel I can get the highest grade in.
Reply 1
Dropping economics probably won't be looked at too favourably by the unis. It's hard for them to think you'll want to put 30 hours a week into doing economics work for 3 years when you want to can it now.

If you really don't want to drop Psychology I'd recommend keeping all 4.
Reply 2
I agree with the comment above.
If you keep up to date with the work and all, it wont be hard to do well. BUT your uni's do only want 3, so a 4th would be a waste of time probably.

As an answer for your question, I'd keep Eco nonetheless.
Reply 3
Why would you even want to study econ at uni if you don't want to study econ at school??? Psychology is not unrelated to econ.
Reply 4
I know it says you are a girl but seriously, MAN UP.

I mean what do you think the work load at uni will be like? They ask for 3 A level so that is the work load you will have? The more A levels the take, the better preparation for uni.
I agree with the other posters, you only really have 2 choices:

1. Carry on with all 4. Your subject choices are very respectable indeed, and although psychology is the least relevant of all your subjects, it supports economics slightly (behavioural theories, consumer confidence etc) so is not useless. I'm guessing you enjoy psychology too (good taste if I may so say :smile:) so it's nice to do it from that perspective too. A good mark in a 4th subject is always looked upon favourably, even if unis say they don't discriminate. You never know, if it turns out you miss your offer narrowly, they may just give it to you based on the fact you did 4 and got stellar grades all round. BUT if you feel the workload is too much...

2. Drop psychology. The other 3 are indispensable, and even though you feel psych is your best subject, if you work hard and invest the time you would have spent on psych on your other subjects, then there's no reason why you can't do just as well, if not better.

Good luck, and work hard! :biggrin:
Reply 6
There's little sense in dropping A-Level Economics when you're wanting to study Economics at university. Just keep all your A-Levels, and as has already been highlighted, this will better prepare you for your university studies considering how much more work you'll have.
Regardless of whether Economics is a requirement or not. Put yourself in the eyes of a tutor. Your Personal Statement is saying you love economics and really enjoy studying it yet you drop it for A2. Your actions are totally going against what you're saying.
Reply 8
lol dropping german would be the obvious choice.
Reply 9
Original post by Law123mus
lol dropping german would be the obvious choice.

She wants to do Econ and German, therefore there are 3 subjects directly being relevant to her degree. Psychology is the only one that isn't.

Latest

Trending

Trending