The Student Room Group

Walking into uni and into a random lecture

Well ive been to uni. for a good year now and i'm into my second year but I have been thinking.
At derby its very easy to just walk into the main building and go to any lecture and just sit their and get educated for a day.
Is it like this at other universities? cause I don't see why i'm going to have to be paying back a 9 grand tuition fee loan when I could have just walk in off the street and use the lectures for my own gain -tuition fees
Another example would be if say you were a couple and then one payed for tuition and the other could drop in on the classes (Admittedly their would be no degree but they are still exploiting the lecturer).

I mean if it happens at my uni. does it happen at other institutions? if not, how has your university tried to mitigate/stop this exploit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At UCL, you have to have your ID to walk into any building with a lecture hall, its either gates where you have to scan your ID to go through or a security guard which asks for the ID.
Reply 2
It's certainly possible. Mark did it on Peep Show and was like "Is that it? Is that how easy it is to steal some education?" :awesome:

You get the knowledge, but not the qualification. Some places take attendance, but others don't.
Well you wouldn't get a degree at the end... so although you're being educated, you would have nothing to show for it. And it would only really work in big lecture theatres with a lot of people, and from my degree, that only really happened in year 1, and the first semester of year 2...
One of my lectures takes attendances but I suppose even then you can just pass the sheet to the next person
For my other lectures you can just come straight in!I think people and even the lecturers will notice someone they dont really recognize
Thats me only in my 7th week of uni aswell but everyone kind of knows each other and my lecturers know quite a lot of names
Reply 5
Would work in some ways but not in others. Plus you wouldn't have any qualifications at the end of it.
Blueflare
It's certainly possible. Mark did it on Peep Show and was like "Is that it? Is that how easy it is to steal some education?" :awesome:

You get the knowledge, but not the qualification. Some places take attendance, but others don't.

Love that episode, he tries to sleep with that girl the first day they meet and when she says "But we have 4 years(or how many it was) to build a relationship" and Marks like, NO! Noww! :biggrin:

Even better was the one where he cooks and eats his friends dog.

:topic: I know, but I do because I can.
Easy to do in Edinburgh, if one of our friends needs to hang about abit, they'll just come into our lectures.
Easy to do in Stirling aswell.
Reply 9
you're paying for the qualification, not the education.
Some of my buildings you can just walk into but you obviously can't take the exams therefore you can't get a degree.
Our Sixth form tutor encouraged us to go to some lectures for other subjects once we got to Uni so that we had a more all round education, don't think it is allowed for medicine but for most subjects at Cambridge it is relatively easy.
I did this a couple of times for music lectures last year, as I was interested in what I would have been learning if I'd picked that course instead of Psychology (I couldn't decide for ages!).. it was fun! Haha.

You wouldn't get a degree though, so it would be a little bit pointless to say you can just get it for free. Plus, some of our uni buildings need ID cards to get into, but not all of them as yet, you can still get to the maj. of lecture theatres just from "walking in off the street".
The only way I see this as being at all useful is if you were paying for some kind of distance learning course, but instead went to the lectures for free. That way you'd get the education and the qualification at reduced cost.

Otherwise there really isn't any point, just go to a library or use the internet if you want education for the sake of itself.
Reply 14
samir12
At UCL, you have to have your ID to walk into any building with a lecture hall, its either gates where you have to scan your ID to go through or a security guard which asks for the ID.

Not in Foster Court.

Although all the rooms in there are small so it'd be pretty obvious if you were meant to be there or not.
samir12

Not true; you can easily get into Gustave Tuck LT for example without having ID.
you're paying for more than lectures tbh OP. seminars and tutorials, essay marking, examinations, certification, pastoral care, access to uni facilities like the libraries, etc. you don't actually learn that much from lectures
yeah i'd probably be one of those people who randomly mooch along to other people's lectures, if they'd let me in. i'd just do it for fun, and because of genuine interest rather than see it as some sort of opportunity though.
Is there a point if you can't sit exams or earn a degree?
py0alb
you're paying for the qualification, not the education.

Nahhhh! If you were just paying for the paper, you could get one of those 10$ degrees online.

Latest

Trending

Trending