The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Which maths course for T173 Engineering the future?

Hi everyone!
Im looking into starting an engineering degree with OU course T173;Engineering the future. Reading the course details it suggests taking a maths course along side it may be necesary. I think it probably will be, so I have looked at the 2 suggested modules MU123 and MU121 and took the tests offered on the OU maths site but this has left me even more confused.

I found the majority of the MU123 tests pretty easy and am pretty confident the bits I did get wrong are within my grasp with a little brushing up.
With a new found confidence I looked at the MU121 quiz and did pretty good...on the first 2 questions anyway, after that I was totally lost! Not a clue how I would even start to go about finding an answer to most the questions, others I didnt even understand what they were asking me to do.

Does anyone have experience of any of these courses?
Does MU123 get harder?
Does MU121 start easier?!
Is there a course I dont know of somewhere between the two?!

Any input/discussion will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Evening :smile:

If the MST121 questions are quite difficult, it's probably best to begin with MU123. I couldn't say if it gets any harder as I did the predecessor to MU123 instead.

What you see in the MST121 quiz is what you're expected to know before the course begins. At the very least, if you do go for MST121, register early and get stuck in to the revision pack asap. You'll have about a month before the course begins. As for T173 though, MU123 will do it, but you'll likely need MST121 for later courses.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Evening Moggs

Forgive me,I cant figure out how to quote you so Im just gonna pretend, use quotation marks and hope you check back!

"MST121 quiz is what you're expected to know before the course begins"

Aah yes just reread OU site, thankyou missed that 1st time around, ok looking like MU123 and T173 to start with and we'll cross the 121 bridge when i get to it..

I gather you're currently doing engineering with OU moggs? I've only been investigating all this a few weeks, Im sure I could come up with loads of questions for you if u dont mind? :biggrin:
Reply 3
I am studying MST121 at the moment. I have a relatively recent maths A Level so I didn't study MU123. I'm not really sure what to suggest. The units at the start are pretty confusing for me and I am confident with maths. What sort of level have you studied maths up to in the past?

I think it sounds like you're looking more to MU123 which would set you up nicely to do MST121. The revision pack is pretty hefty. I think you would struggle if a lot of the material was new rather than revision. That said, the course is designed so that there's an introductory assessment at the beginning that doesn't count. You could always try it and if you struggle on this, your tutor can help you move onto MU123. It really depends on how much time you have to devote to study/catching up. I don't want you to get demoralised or to compromise other course results.
Reply 4
no1really
I gather you're currently doing engineering with OU moggs? I've only been investigating all this a few weeks, Im sure I could come up with loads of questions for you if u dont mind? :biggrin:

Go for it, I'll answer them if I can :wink:

(The quote button is in the bottom right of each post)
Reply 5
Assuming you are just starting out on your B.Eng, you will need MST121 as it is now compulsory for the B.Eng - One advantage is that there is no exam, simply the TMAs and an ECA, to get your final mark. Of course you may need to do higher maths if thats your thing, but the beauty of the engineering degree is that it is so wide reaching, though the OU do seem to be clampong down on what is available...

Latest