The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes! Another excuse!!! We can do with a lot more of these!!!

Please, surely intelligent is knowing what alcohol can do to you?
Or maybe its because intelligent people constitute the working class and need a little "excitement" to "remedy" their bleak predicament.

In which case, cheers to cirhosis! *clang*
lawbot
The taste disgusts me. I have never tasted piss, but i imagine it would taste somewhat similar.
Beer= piss or to clarify Beer in Britain = piss
Reply 23
lawbot
one word: ********.

Top of my class in school. Straight A's at A-Level and a distinction in my Law Degree.

I have drank no more than one pint of alcohol in my entire life.

The taste disgusts me. I have never tasted piss, but i imagine it would taste somewhat similar.

Not smart enough to have heard of anecdotal evidence though eh?
Maybe its because of the "higher intelligence- lower happyness" correlation.
Intelligent people are often unhappy individuals. "increased unhappyness- increased amount of alcohol consumed". Thats why my mother is an alcoholic.

Also thanks to the OP- now I have a brilliant subterfuge for my drinking habits.
(edited 13 years ago)
lawbot

Top of my class in school. Straight A's at A-Level and a distinction in my Law Degree.

Beer is horrible. Cocktails or sambuca taste like bliss though. :wink:
Reply 26
Good bloke
I didn't, but now that I have I have a few more doubts about the study. For a start it doesn't seem to be controlled for age, which would probably very significant. I would love to know the size of a group that is controlled for such a huge range of variables, and I also wonder at the logic that determines that drinking alcohol is deemed to be evolutionarily novel in the 21st century. By the same token, smoking tobacco surely ought to be in the same category and intelligent people would smoke more. I doubt that is true.

There are a few holes in the methodology but I don't doubt the fact that there seems to be a tentative association between IQ and alcohol consumption. I doubt it's casual though.
oh okay reread...it even said it was controlled for factors such as depression etc...

hmmm i have difficulties believing it, i mean surely it would have been very difficult to control factors such as age, income, social life,education, satisfaction with life etc aswell as differing iq levels.

i mean no offense but i cant see many thickos being in highly well paid jobs.
lawbot

you must be clever if you you've finally managed to find one counterexample disproving the existence of a general trend :pierre:
Reply 29
I would hypothesise the causation here is the opposite to what you're implying (drinking more increases intelligence) but rather that the more intelligent people drink more due to their constant ennui with a world that doesn't appreciate them. :pierre:
(edited 13 years ago)
patientology
Maybe its because of the "higher intelligence- lower happyness" correlation.
Intelligent people are often unhappy individuals. "increased unhappyness- increased amount of alcohol consumed". Thats why my mother is an alcoholic.

Also thanks to the OP- now I have a brilliant subterfuge for my drinking habits.

I agree with this I think :yep:
Low Profile
:ditto:

that seems plausible.

I can't wait to see more on that.
Intelligent people earn more money and so can spend more on alcohol?

It's a possibility :holmes:
Reply 33
I'd agree with this. The most naturally intelligent people I know (ie the ones who get good grades with a minimum of work, not people who sit there for hours with text books) are also the heaviest drinkers. I think at most universities, the medics and the lawyers are generally the heaviest drinkers as well.
Reply 34
The vertical axis on that graph bothers me slightly.
The scaling/comparison method does not seem to be described in the article, from my skimming it.
according to the blog the study was controlled for both depression and income :fyi: etc
I always knew vodka was good for you.
That's quite interesting.

I'm sure its not causal but I can't easily think what it is if depression and income have been factored in.

Work hard; play hard is something you hear often. Perhaps its something to do with that kind of attitude of engagement that some (intelligent) people have.

lawbot

Top of my year in school. Straight As and a 1st in my Physics degree.

...AND I'm a raging alcoholic and chain smoker. So :eviltongue:

Just imagine what you could have achieved if you had a healthy drinking problem like the rest of us :biggrin:
Reply 38
If this is true then why aren't there more academics in Russia?
Hmm.. I like to think myself fairly intelligent and I have a glass of wine with my meal maybe once a month? But then again, like all psychological findings, you have to be aware of possible extraneous variables which would present such findings..

Latest

Trending

Trending