The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sem193
I've been working at Asda for 12 weeks now and I still haven't received my discount card and I don't even have a locker. Should I tell them that I've been working for them for 12 weeks and ask for a colleague discount card, or should I wait until they approach me about it?

Go to them. Have you filled out your Unit forms? Usually you have to do a little quiz thing before you get your card. They'll likely give u all the answers, it's just to show you've learnt your role on the job you've been working on. There is so much for them to do in personnel in companies like ASDA that they'll probably not have the time to even realise/find/approach you about your discount. Go and let them know :biggrin:
confusing situation here:

i got offered a job at asda in the bakery on sunday today but i had to tell her im on holiday for 2 weeks. therefore i would miss the induction on friday (she did say there would be another induction soon)

at my interview i told the manager that i may be going to uni in october (which i am) and he said i could be a seasonal

now.. i dont know when the next induction will be, and in any case there wont be many more sundays left before i go to uni

anyone know what i should do? do you think they wont give me the job? i would like to work there in uni holidays on sundays

shall i ring her again and ask her when the next induction is?
Original post by m00balot
Hello, I work for ASDA and have done so for a year, have worked on ALOT of departments and am trained on ALOT of different things (I'm a bit of an ASDA whore, but I need the money, so I like to do alot!)

If you have ANY questions about applying, the application or the interviewing process, even the working and the way to use a till (if your desperate to know :P ) just ask!

Sorry if this seems like a really weird question but
Do you ever get really badly behaved customers who like disagree with everything that you say when they complain about something?
Reply 2143
So, can anyone help me out here?

My job submission status has been 'Application in Progress' for a few weeks now.. when apparently I was told they normally contact you a few days after your application to invite you to the interview.

What does this mean...:unsure:

Thanks!
Original post by zedaa

My job submission status has been 'Application in Progress' for a few weeks now.. when apparently I was told they normally contact you a few days after your application to invite you to the interview.

Thanks!

Check your email and ring HR or the store itself to find out what's going on.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-B7510
Original post by zedaa

Thanks!

Mine has been the same. I applied at the start of the month and it has said 'application in progress' ever since. Not had any contact aside from the initial acknowledgement email.

It doesn't really matter for me now - I have a job elsewhere - but it is a curious situation. :redface:
Original post by zedaa

Thanks!

I didnt hear back for a month or so, the job I applied for had already been filled, so they gave me a better one (or it would have been if I didnt have holidays booked over the training week!).

Could try calling them though if you wanted.
Finally got a pay slip - and it says i'm contracted 7 hours even though at my interview and induction it said 28!

Does anyone know who I need to see about this? :/
Reply 2148
Original post by elstoleno
I didnt hear back for a month or so, the job I applied for had already been filled, so they gave me a better one (or it would have been if I didnt have holidays booked over the training week!).

Could try calling them though if you wanted.

Original post by affinity89
Mine has been the same. I applied at the start of the month and it has said 'application in progress' ever since. Not had any contact aside from the initial acknowledgement email.

It doesn't really matter for me now - I have a job elsewhere - but it is a curious situation. :redface:

Original post by greenfly125
Check your email and ring HR or the store itself to find out what's going on.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-B7510

Thanks for your help:^_^:

I also forgot to mention that they sent me an email on the 23rd saying: We appreciate your interest in joining us. Please don’t reply to this email, but rest assured we’ll get back to you as quickly as possible after looking carefully at your application.

I'll call them today. Thanks again :}
Original post by MelissaJayne
Pay day is good and bad. Good to get money, bad that it's never enough for what feels like your soul.

Heya :smile:
Quick question... I'm hopefully store swapping and have filled in the internal transfer form. Do you know how long it will take (roughly) for the new store to contact me & what the procedure is for letting them know about starting / leaving at my current store??

Have applied for grocery - any ideas what it'll entail??

Sorry loads of questions :/
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Heya :smile:
Quick question... I'm hopefully store swapping and have filled in the internal transfer form. Do you know how long it will take (roughly) for the new store to contact me & what the procedure is for letting them know about starting / leaving at my current store??

Have applied for grocery - any ideas what it'll entail??

Sorry loads of questions :/

Cant really help you on the top bit, I guess it depends on the personnel at both stores and how quickly they process it all and get you through. I imagine if they're efficient it shouldn't be much of a delay though, given the pace they get completely new people in, it'll involve a lot less just transferring an existing colleague.

Grocery shifts could involve a number of things on Ambient department. From day fills (taking out cages/extra stock) from Warehouse and filling it up throughout the day. Backroom picking, scanning the extra stock and the gun will tell you what can and can't be bought out onto shop floor. Rumbles a few times a day (just going round and bringing the facing products forward and clearing cardboard), top stocking (bringing down the stuff from the top shelf and fitting it out in the shelves) Waste and damages (marking down products, sorting through put backs, scanning whats being wasted to take it out the P.I system) - you could be across all of Ambient or on a particular area (such as Health and Beauty, Frozen, BWS) depending on your store.
Hi :smile:
I'm going to the ASDA Magic selection event tomorrow and I'm extremely excited about it, but much more nervous!

What sort of questions do they ask you? I've heard you have to talk about a product in front of a group of strangers.. what else can I expect?

Also, would wearing black jeans be too casual? :s-smilie:

Any other tips and advice would be great!

I have a few questions i would like to ask.

1. I have a asda magic interview on the 4th sep, iv done some research into what happens but the bit im scared of is were you need to stand up and tell the group about the person who you asked questions. Because iv got slight stutter and it goes bad when nervous. I was wondering what questions shall i ask my partner

2. What shall i wear during the interview? shirt,suit pants,smart shoes?
Reply 2153
Original post by Sem193
I've been working at Asda for 12 weeks now and I still haven't received my discount card and I don't even have a locker. Should I tell them that I've been working for them for 12 weeks and ask for a colleague discount card, or should I wait until they approach me about it?

Go and ask - I had too. Loads of people before me had their names put on a list by the clocking in machines to go and collect their's, when it got to about 15 weeks I went and asked for mine and it was waiting on me!
Reply 2154
Quick question. At the moment I'm doing 6am-12pm shifts on Thursday and Friday, during Ramadan it was easy but now I'm struggling with the early starts. On the overtime there's always a slot from 8am-2pm on those same two days so was wondering how likely they'd allow me to swap my shifts over?

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get paid for the induction, are you meant to get it in your first pay slip?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2155
Original post by Ebzeey :)
I'm going to the ASDA Magic selection event tomorrow and I'm extremely excited about it, but much more nervous!

What sort of questions do they ask you? I've heard you have to talk about a product in front of a group of strangers.. what else can I expect?

Also, would wearing black jeans be too casual? :s-smilie:

Any other tips and advice would be great!

There's quite a lot of replies for this throughout the thread so I'll just copy and paste one of mine from a while back....

Hi.

Erm the session is really relaxed. They started off with a group interview. All we did in this was find out things about the person we were sitting next to (name, age, education, why they want to work at ASDA, and one random question - like who would they take out to dinner if they could choose anyone), and then introduced them to the rest of the group.

We were then split into two teams and did a team challenge, we had marshmallows and pasta and had to build the highest tower we could. I think the main thing about this is that you have to show you work well in a team (give input when necessary, listen to other people when you should) and just enjoy yourself. I don't know if it had any bearing on whether we were picked but the other two people I was working with in this team challenge got the job as well, whereas no-one from the other team did. During the team challenge we were just having a laugh and getting along, the other team looked forced.

You then get a tour of the store and go on to the shop floor do to some tasks. i.e. they'd give you things to find on the shop floor, ask any of the customers if they needed help (we didn't do this though as no-one wanted any help), find products that have been put on sale etc.

And that was pretty much all we did. We did no 1-on-1 interviews at the session as we all got interviews the week after.

Just be yourself really, if you can show them that your happy and easy/fun to work with, I'm sure you'll get the job.

Original post by DeanPeters19

I have a few questions i would like to ask.

1. I have a asda magic interview on the 4th sep, iv done some research into what happens but the bit im scared of is were you need to stand up and tell the group about the person who you asked questions. Because iv got slight stutter and it goes bad when nervous. I was wondering what questions shall i ask my partner

2. What shall i wear during the interview? shirt,suit pants,smart shoes?

1) Might be different for different stores but we stayed seated during this part and the lady running it told us what they wanted us to find out from the person sitting next to us. (See above)

2) That's what I wore and it was fine.
Original post by Deshi
There's quite a lot of replies for this throughout the thread so I'll just copy and paste one of mine from a while back....

1) Might be different for different stores but we stayed seated during this part and the lady running it told us what they wanted us to find out from the person sitting next to us. (See above)

2) That's what I wore and it was fine.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Hey, I was just wondering whether anyone could answer my questions, What is the hourly rate for an over 18 store assistant? and do I get a break for working 7.5 hourse and if so, how long?
Original post by Add!ction
Hey, I was just wondering whether anyone could answer my questions, What is the hourly rate for an over 18 store assistant? and do I get a break for working 7.5 hourse and if so, how long?

Hey,

£6.28 for the first 12 weeks, rising to £6.50 after this. However, from October the pay is increasing by 13p an hour to £6.41 (newbies) then to £6.63. Yes you will get a break - if you are working a shift over a 'mealtime' (I assume you would be if it is 7.5 hrs) you will get a 30 min unpaid break. If its not a mealtime then you would get 20 mins.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2159
Different places different wages though. I've started on £6.60.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending