The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by huntthehaunted
we get a tiny bonus for working bank holidays, we think its performance based as its always variable. also we think you get more if you are not contracted to do it (not sure on this one)

also does anyone have any idea how ive managed at 5.30h seasonal contract with as much or little overtime as i want ? i thought all seasonal lwer 16h+

Bank holidays is pay and a third at last check i think...

And seasonal contracts do end up like that. I had a 4h15 contract for about a year, would do 3:15 till 8 every sunday with half hour unpaid break. It was alright and then whenever i wanted more overtime i'd ring up and ask and could be working 50 hours the next week. :biggrin:

Think 15/16 hours is the minimum is you're a year round worker but they're nice and make exceptions for seasonal workers...
Original post by MHorman
Bank holidays is pay and a third at last check i think...

And seasonal contracts do end up like that. I had a 4h15 contract for about a year, would do 3:15 till 8 every sunday with half hour unpaid break. It was alright and then whenever i wanted more overtime i'd ring up and ask and could be working 50 hours the next week. :biggrin:

Think 15/16 hours is the minimum is you're a year round worker but they're nice and make exceptions for seasonal workers...

its time and a half at my place + a little bonus, they are really chilled even when i worked year round i manged to get at 5.5 h contract and still avg 40 h a week .... mind you bonus sooon woooooo!!!!!!
its time and a half at my place + a little bonus, they are really chilled even when i worked year round i manged to get at 5.5 h contract and still avg 40 h a week .... mind you bonus sooon woooooo!!!!!!

They always told everyone at my work it was time and a half then i looked at my pay check and it was 6.32 for normal then 8.40 for bank holiday so when i asked them they said "it's close to time and a half... " :rolleyes:

My bonus won't be much, not worked much at all tbh. Worked Summer/xmas and thst's it...

In my first year i had a 4.25h contract and managed 250 hours in 4 weeks(averaged 62.5). :smile:
Original post by MHorman
They always told everyone at my work it was time and a half then i looked at my pay check and it was 6.32 for normal then 8.40 for bank holiday so when i asked them they said "it's close to time and a half... " :rolleyes:

My bonus won't be much, not worked much at all tbh. Worked Summer/xmas and thst's it...

In my first year i had a 4.25h contract and managed 250 hours in 4 weeks(averaged 62.5). :smile:

£8.40 for bank holiday what region is that in ? i get £9.56 and hour for bhols... also we get £6.37 an hour !
£8.40 for bank holiday what region is that in ? i get £9.56 and hour for bhols... also we get £6.37 an hour !

Thats what it was last time i checked i think...

In devon. But i think we've probably got a raise since 6.32 as we normally get a raise each october time but i don't pay attention anymore being just a seasonal worker...
Original post by MHorman
Thats what it was last time i checked i think...

In devon. But i think we've probably got a raise since 6.32 as we normally get a raise each october time but i don't pay attention anymore being just a seasonal worker...

do you know why we get a raise in oct? minimum wage goes up.....so ours over the past 3 years has gone up in line with it.
do you know why we get a raise in oct? minimum wage goes up.....so ours over the past 3 years has gone up in line with it.

Dunno, think it's just ASDA policy...

It's normally at the same time as they give you the survey thing to do on the computers and stuff so maybe they just want people to be in a good mood...
Reply 247
Seeking advice of some others here. I'll just keep the blurb as short as possible..

When I originally took my shifts on at Asda I thought I was temp, which suited as I have other commitments during the summer. However as it turns out I'm permanent.

In the next month or so I will need to approach my manager about the situation. The shifts I am rota'd for are the days I need off (and I can't do any other days in the week so can't swap). However I really quite like it in Asda and can see it progressing further in future.

So I would like to be able to be kept 'on the books' so to speak but still do shifts when possible yet have the time off I will need. Not seasonal though. How likely do you think the management will support this or will I need to hand in my notice? (I don't want to but if I had to I would).
Original post by _jason_
Seeking advice of some others here. I'll just keep the blurb as short as possible..

When I originally took my shifts on at Asda I thought I was temp, which suited as I have other commitments during the summer. However as it turns out I'm permanent.

In the next month or so I will need to approach my manager about the situation. The shifts I am rota'd for are the days I need off (and I can't do any other days in the week so can't swap). However I really quite like it in Asda and can see it progressing further in future.

So I would like to be able to be kept 'on the books' so to speak but still do shifts when possible yet have the time off I will need. Not seasonal though. How likely do you think the management will support this or will I need to hand in my notice? (I don't want to but if I had to I would).

So you need some time off for a short period but will be able to work again afterwards? If you talk to your people manager in store he'll help.

There are things you can do from "going Seasonal" to just taking "exam breaks"...

Tbh, Asda had to pay about £200+ to train you up to standards so they're not going to throw it away if you're a good worker. Talk to them in advance and explain it and they'll normally give you the time off...

In my first year i was doing Ten Tors(so needed every toher weekend off to train) and gave my manager a list of dates at the start of the year and i just worked every other weekend. It was quite simple.

Good thing about going seasonal is you can just pick up overtime shifts whenver you want but you don't HAVE to do any shifts. :smile:

PS If i misunderstood your Q just post it again differently...

I'm going to be transferring to my new store near uni during my 4 weeks Easter break and just working a few overtime shifts a week on tills... Will earn plenty of mons and it will stop me from going crazy over the 4 weeks...
Reply 249
I was looking at the dates today. From April till October I need about half of those weekends off.

I really don't want to let go the chance I got to work there so want to be able to apprcoach this subject and feel I can come out of it OK.

What I would hope for is not to have any rota'd shifts in the time period but leave it be that they can phone me to check if I'm available if they need me. Does such a thing go on in Asda? Then in the winter go back in.
Original post by _jason_
I was looking at the dates today. From April till October I need about half of those weekends off.
I really don't want to let go the chance I got to work there so want to be able to apprcoach this subject and feel I can come out of it OK.
What I would hope for is not to have any rota'd shifts in the time period but leave it be that they can phone me to check if I'm available if they need me. Does such a thing go on in Asda? Then in the winter go back in.

Yea, basically go in and talk to your line manager. and explain the whole situation to them.

They will be the one to decide on whether or not you get the time off.

Depends on the manager in question and how many people there is on your department to cover shifts etc etc.
Reply 251
First post, got an magic session tomorrow.

I pretty much know what's gonna be going on. But I just wondered, where do you do the session? Minus the Have a Go parts and interview obviously.
Reply 252
I love it at my Asda (Roehampton). Everyone is friendly and unique, and the pay is £7.09! plus im in Photo & Music+Video so its a nice department.

Recently I asked to switch to seasonal due to university commitments and the manager was great about it, he understood exams come first.
Hi

I have been working at Asda on the checkouts since November. My contract is 10.5 hours over 3 days. I work 3.5 a day during the week and 3.5 sat and sun.

The problem I am having it that I go to uni and I am struggling with the workload and I want to change my working days and hours.

Ideally I would like to work fri,sat and sun instead of the day during the week as this prevents me from during uni work.

I was just wondering who do u go to to ask for the change and what are the chances of my contract being changed as I want to change the day and times of my usual times.
Original post by stressdave
Hi

I have been working at Asda on the checkouts since November. My contract is 10.5 hours over 3 days. I work 3.5 a day during the week and 3.5 sat and sun.

The problem I am having it that I go to uni and I am struggling with the workload and I want to change my working days and hours.

Ideally I would like to work fri,sat and sun instead of the day during the week as this prevents me from during uni work.

I was just wondering who do u go to to ask for the change and what are the chances of my contract being changed as I want to change the day and times of my usual times.

You'd go see your line manger which would be the front end manager to discuss it. You may have a key colleague that does your shifts though so discussing it with them would also be good.

Normally they don't mind as long as you keep the weekend shifts as those are the ones the adults with kids don't wanna do so are the ones they like people to do...

Also, depends on how big your store is. If it's a tiny store and there's not many people you're less likely to get the shifts changed as they'll need to find someone to cover your other shift during the week.
Reply 255
I've been working at Netto for about 3 weeks, and ASDA are taking over. I was just wondering because at Netto we have to work nearly every weekend - what's it like at ASDA? Can you opt out of working at weekends? And if you do work weekends, bank holidays etc. do you get paid more? At Netto we don't get paid more at all.

How hard are the tills to learn? I've picked up Netto's tills pretty fast, after about the first day, where we have to learn codes for things etc.

Also at netto, we have to cash up all our own tills at the end of a shift, what happens at ASDA?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lavinder
I've been working at Netto for about 3 weeks, and ASDA are taking over. I was just wondering because at Netto we have to work nearly every weekend - what's it like at ASDA?

Can you opt out of working at weekends?

And if you do work weekends, bank holidays etc. do you get paid more? At Netto we don't get paid more at all.

How hard are the tills to learn? I've picked up Netto's tills pretty fast, after about the first day, where we have to learn codes for things etc.

Also at netto, we have to cash up all our own tills at the end of a shift, what happens at ASDA?

Asda is good. They're a decent company to work for tbh.

You probably can arrange shifts so you don't have to work weekends but it would be very difficult. Most people work at least 1 weekend.

Get paid no more at weekends and pay and a half on bank holidays.

Tills are very easy to learn. After an hour or so you can pick up 90% of it...

Urm, the runners/security/a manager cash up at the end of the day. You don't have to worry about it.
Reply 257
Original post by MHorman
Asda is good. They're a decent company to work for tbh.

You probably can arrange shifts so you don't have to work weekends but it would be very difficult. Most people work at least 1 weekend.

Get paid no more at weekends and pay and a half on bank holidays.

Tills are very easy to learn. After an hour or so you can pick up 90% of it...

Urm, the runners/security/a manager cash up at the end of the day. You don't have to worry about it.

Cheers, I don't mind working weekends, just not every weekend like I'm working at the moment because my parents live down Birmingham and I never get to visit.

Cheers for the info :biggrin:.
Reply 258
Hey,
Anyone who currently works at ASDA- I completed an online application for an hourly role, the due date for which was 1st March and have not received any sort of reply yet except the confirmation email. How long did it take them to get back to you and was this by phone or email?
Thanks!
Original post by mer1991
Hey,
Anyone who currently works at ASDA- I completed an online application for an hourly role, the due date for which was 1st March and have not received any sort of reply yet except the confirmation email. How long did it take them to get back to you and was this by phone or email?
Thanks!

They took 1 day to reply to me but i handed in a physical form and then they rang me.

Ring up the branch you applied to. Get through to the personnel department and ask them.

Do it in the morning though. Personnel staff never seem to be in past midday for some reason...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending