The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

An FAQ is about to be posted on the first page, one of these questions are:

They're taking a long time to get back to me, what do I do?
Recruitment is undertaken alongside managerial duties so it can take a while. If they say they'll call back then they will do, if you feel like you need to phone them try and give it a week first. Call them by using the store number > option 2 (Colleague menu) > People Service Manager.

It can take a week or so, but please bear in mind that typically that call is to arrange a follow up interview.

If you need to then phone using the answer above.
Please check the first post of the thread for the new FAQ posted today.

Original post by Roving Fish
An FAQ is about to be posted on the first page, one of these questions are:

It can take a week or so, but please bear in mind that typically that call is to arrange a follow up interview.

If you need to then phone using the answer above.

Thank-you for this, and the FAQ. It's very helpful.
Original post by Rlove95
I've been invited to the ASDA Magic selection day for next week and I was wondering if anyone had any advice they could give me?

I've also got a few questions. What generally happens on the day and how did you find the experience? Does anyone know what type of questions they'll ask in the one-to-one interview and how long it lasts? Do they usually only employ one person from the interview and how many people are you usually with. I'm leaving for university in September (although I haven't got my results yet but I'm just trying to be hopeful atm) will that affect my chances of getting the job, is it better to just not mention the fact that I might be going to university and if they do ask what would be the best thing to say?

I'm not really sure how I would answer a question on why I want to work there because really I only want to work there for the money, its about as simple as that but obviously I can't say that :colondollar:

FAQ on the first post should answer most of them but in regards to the first: just be friendly.. don't take charge in the group (e.g. overshadow others) but also, don't stay quiet or unnoticed. I also had an on the floor practice with my soon to be section leader (ironically in a different section) and if you have to do this as well, the key to this is actually making sure you're being noticed.

And really you should be able to spit out some spiel as to why you want to work here because saying just money probably won't cut it as everyone wants money. You may want to read up a bit on Asda and their beliefs etc.

Good luck and try not to panic too much :smile:
I want to know what number in my wallet is the password for the green room please
Can i know how to find it please

Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Greenroom is the colleague website which advertises colleague achievements, things the company is doing, special offers etc. If you want the password for the greenroom to get offers such as travel insurance etc just pm me.
Original post by itsme13
I just received a call telling me I was successful at the Asda Magic day and I have been called back for a one to one interview next week. I know that Asda do a 12 week probationary period but I start uni in about 11 weeks which is far from where I live. How bad is it if I was to quit before my probation period ended? Or, during my probation period, would it be possible to be transferred to a branch closer to my uni?

Did they ask you about university? I'm worried that the fact that I'm going to uni soon will affect my chances of getting the job.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
FAQ on the first post should answer most of them but in regards to the first: just be friendly.. don't take charge in the group (e.g. overshadow others) but also, don't stay quiet or unnoticed. I also had an on the floor practice with my soon to be section leader (ironically in a different section) and if you have to do this as well, the key to this is actually making sure you're being noticed.

And really you should be able to spit out some spiel as to why you want to work here because saying just money probably won't cut it as everyone wants money. You may want to read up a bit on Asda and their beliefs etc.

Good luck and try not to panic too much :smile:

Thank you for the advice, I've just looked at the FAQ and it was pretty helpful.

Yeah I'll have to look at the website and think of something to say. I do like ASDA as a supermarket so I guess I can just talk about that.

Thanks and I'll try not to :smile: !
Reply 4308
I haven't received an email about where my interview is and it is due on Tuesday. I was going to phone the number that called me to tell me I had an interview but it turns out it is a Asda store in Larkhall which is hours away, so would it be better to call the Head Office HR department to ask?

It's for the Barrhead store that opens in late summer (11th Aug)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rlove95
Did they ask you about university? I'm worried that the fact that I'm going to uni soon will affect my chances of getting the job.

They didnt ask at the magic day but I have the one to one interview in 2 days and I think they probably will :/
Just a quick question - do I have to call a supervisor and sign off the form for every cash lift or only the lift at the end of my shift?
Original post by Highsandlows24
Just a quick question - do I have to call a supervisor and sign off the form for every cash lift or only the lift at the end of my shift?

Every store is different for podding/cash lifts. In my current store we can cash up ourselves but have to put on the sealed cash bag (something like this) our names so that the cash office know we did it not the supervisor.

In my uni store, only the runners can do podding as they have to sign to say they've done it.
I've got my first shift working in the bakery on Friday and was just wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of things I'd be doing, as I'm worried that they'll expect me to baking and making food when I have extremely little knowledge of doing that.

Thanks
Is the lunch on ASDA good? I mean for colleagues

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kilght
I haven't received an email about where my interview is and it is due on Tuesday. I was going to phone the number that called me to tell me I had an interview but it turns out it is a Asda store in Larkhall which is hours away, so would it be better to call the Head Office HR department to ask?

It's for the Barrhead store that opens in late summer (11th Aug)

It's in the building opposite, it's called the James McGuire building.
Does anyone know if the ASDA fleece comes in XS or is it just a small? Also what kind of shoes are allowed to be worn instore?
Original post by Rudebirdy
Is the lunch on ASDA good? I mean for colleagues

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some stores have a canteen that cooks alright food cheaply. These are slowly being phased out though. In colleague canteens without dinner service, there are vending machines and microwaves as well as free bread/milk and hot drink stuff. :smile:
Hi,
I had an one to one interview with maneger and trial shift about ten days ago at Asda, just wondering to know what should I do, can I call them to ask the result of interview? ?
Any help will be appericiated
Original post by Rlove95

It shouldn't be an issue, I applied to Asda twice, and never even got an interview, then when I changed my status to student, and applied again I was invited in and given a job. It's highly likely they will want you on a contract of 16/18 hours, means when it's quiet they only need to get you in those hours, and will try to convince you not to come in most of the time if it's really quiet so they don't pay you at all, then pressure you into overtime when it's busy. So being a student suits their needs, you are off during their super busy periods, especially Christmas.

As a company they expect you to do all the bending to suit them and pay you a pittance mind you, they will just rota you in for days you don't want, then you physically have to ask not to work it.

However, they give you a 10% discount.
Original post by Camcam1234
Does anyone know if the ASDA fleece comes in XS or is it just a small? Also what kind of shoes are allowed to be worn instore?

Yes, the fleece comes in XS I've got one that size.
Every store differs on shoes, they're one of those grey areas. If they're black and cover your feet they're allowed in our store.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending