The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Highsandlows24
Just a quick question - do I have to call a supervisor and sign off the form for every cash lift or only the lift at the end of my shift?

Every store is different. In mine only section leaders and managers are allowed to do the pod lifts, so best to ask your manager when you're in next :smile:
I applied yesterday and got an email today asking me to come to an "asda magic" thing? Did I get the job? Apparently it's some group training day? I applied for a chilled colleague and how how much can I expect to get paid? It's 16 hours a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slim Shady 96
I applied yesterday and got an email today asking me to come to an "asda magic" thing? Did I get the job? Apparently it's some group training day? I applied for a chilled colleague and how how much can I expect to get paid? It's 16 hours a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it doesn't. The Magic session is a candidate-selection session to see how well you work in a group and interact with others. Best advice is to be yourself, but try to contribute a sensible amount to the tasks. You may be given a group interview.
If you're successful in that then you'll be called in for a one-to-one interview and a job trial.
Then I think they'll select from a number of trialed people for the number of vacancies available (for me I'm still waiting for any other correspondence from my job trial, I was told I'll be waiting for 2-3 weeks).

The above process is what happened when I applied for an advertised seasonal position for Chilled Products at the start of the month. The actual vacancies were for bakery/bread though!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Exodecai
No, it doesn't. The Magic session is a candidate-selection session to see how well you work in a group and interact with others. Best advice is to be yourself, but try to contribute a sensible amount to the tasks. You may be given a group interview.
If you're successful in that then you'll be called in for a one-to-one interview and a job trial.
Then I think they'll select from a number of trialed people for the number of vacancies available (for me I'm still waiting for any other correspondence from my job trial, I was told I'll be waiting for 2-3 weeks).

The above process is what happened when I applied for an advertised seasonal position for Chilled Products at the start of the month. The actual vacancies were for bakery/bread though!

Ahh man that's so long, I'll apply to other jobs just in case, as a chilled colleague, what will I actually do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys so i know next payday is next friday BUT does anyone know if the wages from last saturday are paid. I worked 12 hours on Saturday and I'd quite like it to be paid :P
Original post by Hariskhan7
Guys so i know next payday is next friday BUT does anyone know if the wages from last saturday are paid. I worked 12 hours on Saturday and I'd quite like it to be paid :P

Payday cut off was close of business on 19th July. :smile:
Original post by ChellyStar
Yes, the fleece comes in XS I've got one that size.
Every store differs on shoes, they're one of those grey areas. If they're black and cover your feet they're allowed in our store.

Thanks and is nail polish also not allowed? Do you have to wear hair tied back if you have long hair?
Ahh man that's so long, I'll apply to other jobs just in case, as a chilled colleague, what will I actually do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm assuming that you'll be refilling the displays in the fridges, checking the best before / use by dates of stock already on the shelf and looking for any damaged packaging like holes. And giving customer service such as showing customers where products are, etc.

The position I was interviewed for was for seasonal work in bakery and BBIC - but a fresh seasonal worker, which means bakery, BBIC (prepacked bread/cakes), fresh food, chilled products (iirc) and grocery in my particular store, although you'll probably only work in one or two single areas. If you get to the interview stage then you may end up being told this if you discuss the role they're interviewing you for.

Bare in mind that it and the timings will vary from store to store. The time also depends on the other candidates and if they've booked holiday within the trialing period. Maybe you could wait 3-4 days after your Magic session before considering to apply for other jobs, because I got my callback 3 days after the Magic session.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Exodecai
Well I'm assuming that you'll be refilling the displays in the fridges, checking the best before / use by dates of stock already on the shelf and looking for any damaged packaging like holes. And giving customer service such as showing customers where products are, etc.

The position I was interviewed for was for seasonal work in bakery and BBIC - but a fresh seasonal worker, which means bakery, BBIC (prepacked bread/cakes), fresh food, chilled products (iirc) and grocery in my particular store, although you'll probably only work in one or two single areas. If you get to the interview stage then you may end up being told this if you discuss the role they're interviewing you for.

Bare in mind that it and the timings will vary from store to store. The time also depends on the other candidates and if they've booked holiday within the trialing period. Maybe you could wait 3-4 days after your Magic session before considering to apply for other jobs, because I got my callback 3 days after the Magic session.

Thank you so much for this, my magic session is on Wednesday so should I just go to customer services whenever it starts? would I wait for a call after that or will they tell me on Wednesday after my session about whether I got the job or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for this, my magic session is on Wednesday so should I just go to customer services whenever it starts?

would I wait for a call after that or will they tell me on Wednesday after my session about whether I got the job or not?

Actually I asked when I got a call inviting me to the Magic, and I was told to go to the Colleagues enterance/exit, use the 'Call' function and explain I was there for the session (or, they may say the doors already open). I signed in at the desk inside and waited. The staff at the session will tell you the system they're following to appoint staff. (They may even give you a short trial shift there and then)

Yes. Although obtaining a 1-to-1 interview doesn't mean you've secured the position.
I applied for a part time position in the Bakery section on the 3rd July, and I got an email saying they are reviewing my application and will contact me. Its been almost 3 weeks now and my application is still 'under review'. Does anyone know or have any experience with how long it will take for them to invite me to a magic session?
Original post by Camcam1234
Thanks and is nail polish also not allowed? Do you have to wear hair tied back if you have long hair?

Nail polish depends on what department you're on. On checkouts we're allowed it, as long as it isn't chipped and our nails are well looked after etc.
And yes, long hair has to be tied back, much to my annoyance :smile:
Original post by Lance Jack
Hey there! :smile: I hate group interviews too but somehow I always make it through :s

At my magic session we had to pair up and spend a few minutes finding stuff out about the other person presenting it to the others afterwards. Then we were given a product and we had to team up and advertise it. Just make sure you have some sort of input, basically don't shy away.

I work the evening shift 5-10 in Produce (fruit&veg) and can honestly say I almost love my job! It's great. My contracts 22 hours a week but recently it's been closer to 50 hours a week. Haven't had a day off in nearly 3 weeks (completely my own decision). For 8 hour shifts (Nights are from 10PM-6AM) you get 30 minutes unpaid break and a 20 minute paid break so 2 breaks. Wow that's mental!

Sorry I have another question!! Do you know about the asda weekend policy? eg is it there policy to work one weekend day? Ive read about it somewhere but not sure how legitimate it was.

Also what do the grocery colleagues do??

Thank you so much for your answer! I have an interview at sainsburys but im thinking of withdrawing my application and just focusing on the Asda interview! :biggrin:

I know! in sainsburys I had to work from 11-6am before getting a 15minute break! then back to work until 7am.. so a 50min break at Asda alltogether sounds brilliant!
Original post by NiniTanya
Sorry I have another question!! Do you know about the asda weekend policy? eg is it there policy to work one weekend day? Ive read about it somewhere but not sure how legitimate it was.

Thank you so much for your answer! I have an interview at sainsburys but im thinking of withdrawing my application and just focusing on the Asda interview! :biggrin:

I know! in sainsburys I had to work from 11-6am before getting a 15minute break! then back to work until 7am.. so a 50min break at Asda alltogether sounds brilliant!

1) Weekend Policy - all colleagues must work at least one day at the weekend, so either Sat or Sun - maybe even both.
2) Don't withdraw your app elsewhere, put your effort into both and then you've got options. Would be crap if you didn't get Asda and you already withdrew from Sainsbury's.
3) Don't get too excited, the breaks at Asda are pretty ****ty.
Original post by Roving Fish
1) Weekend Policy - all colleagues must work at least one day at the weekend, so either Sat or Sun - maybe even both.
2) Don't withdraw your app elsewhere, put your effort into both and then you've got options. Would be crap if you didn't get Asda and you already withdrew from Sainsbury's.
3) Don't get too excited, the breaks at Asda are pretty ****ty.

The sainsburys hours are over the weekend and monday at 5am so I couldn't do both, I was just trying to decide between the too.

Hahha Im sure there not but compared to what ive had before, hopefully itll be better
Got my bakery department training on Wednesday, does anyone have any idea of how long it lasts and if I get paid?
Original post by NiniTanya
The sainsburys hours are over the weekend and monday at 5am so I couldn't do both, I was just trying to decide between the too.

Hahha Im sure there not but compared to what ive had before, hopefully itll be better

I agree with the previous poster. Don't withdraw anything just yet. When I applied I got both an asda and sainsburys interview and kept both. Luckily I got the job from asda and I preferred their hours even though it's further away from my house so I just withdrew from my sainsburys interview (which would've been tomorrow). It's best to have both just in case one doesn't work out.

Original post by Maguire94
Got my bakery department training on Wednesday, does anyone have any idea of how long it lasts and if I get paid?

My induction is from 9-5 over 2 days. Not sure if it's the same for bakery though and I'm sure you do get paid
Do you get paid extra for working on Sundays ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I agree with the previous poster. Don't withdraw anything just yet. When I applied I got both an asda and sainsburys interview and kept both. Luckily I got the job from asda and I preferred their hours even though it's further away from my house so I just withdrew from my sainsburys interview (which would've been tomorrow). It's best to have both just in case one doesn't work out.

My induction is from 9-5 over 2 days. Not sure if it's the same for bakery though and I'm sure you do get paid

Will just have to see, hopefully it's not too long
Original post by Rudebirdy
Do you get paid extra for working on Sundays ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. You get time and a half for working bank holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending