The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Im Digital
R.I.P. Electriical/M+V desk, it's gonna feel odd not hearing callouts back to the desk every half an hour ...

That's the desk I work on atm. We survived the cull because ours joins onto the Photo Centre that we also man. D:
R.I.P. Electriical/M+V desk, it's gonna feel odd not hearing callouts back to the desk every half an hour ...

Ours is still there... :erm:
I'm worried about getting overtime banned:

Week starting the 22nd - 5 Days
Week starting the 29th - 4 Days
Week starting the 6th - 7 Days
Week starting the 13th - 7 Days
Week starting the 20th - 6 Days

I'm not exactly sure how it works exactly. But each shift is 8hours, 7.5hours taking away breaks. Think ill be okay?

Edit: I don't currently have my working hours after the 20th yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AttractingEUW
I'm worried about getting overtime banned:

Week starting the 22nd - 5 Days
Week starting the 29th - 4 Days
Week starting the 6th - 7 Days
Week starting the 13th - 7 Days
Week starting the 20th - 6 Days

I'm not exactly sure how it works exactly. But each shift is 8hours, 7.5hours taking away breaks. Think ill be okay?

Edit: I don't currently have my working hours after the 20th yet.

I'm not sure if its different store to store but i've been on an overtime ban as such because I was about to break the working time directive (averaging more then 48 hours over a space of the last 17 weeks), thanks to pre-stocktake prep and the week before being 10-12 hour shifts, 6 days a week.

I've not personally heard of a store wide overtime ban after a set amount of hours, but this ban was imposed as it was legal related.

Edit: then again my stores H+L dept is quite a bit under workload with its SL and George & GM TM being the lapsed type who wants as much help as they can get, so YMMV.
(edited 8 years ago)

Being a new store we never had one. Would beat searching through the lockup!
How is everyone liking the new name badges & lanyards? :laugh:
Original post by darkdetective
How is everyone liking the new name badges & lanyards? :laugh:

They're just fine :P

You're a new store as in before the rebrand or did they fit rebranded stuff into the store? :smile:
Original post by Roving Fish
They're just fine :P

You're a new store as in before the rebrand or did they fit rebranded stuff into the store? :smile:

My store opened in November so pretty new, but they just rebranded the store. :smile:
Original post by darkdetective
My store opened in November so pretty new, but they just rebranded the store. :smile:

That's good then, my GSM will probably push hard for the new brand on our walls and signage... She's pretty good at getting decorators in.
Anybody know when next payday is?
Original post by dadams2
Anybody know when next payday is?

24th!!! So 2 weeks today!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need to submit my references but it's asking for email addresses and my last employer (a small local store) doesn't have an email. Can I get around this or do I need to find another referee?
After having a best welcome last Tuesday I went in again for checkout training and I'm just a bit confused now because at the end I was told to just sign off the till and then left without having anything else said to me by anyone so now I have no idea what's meant to happen as nothing was really explained to me. I'm a seasonal colleague, do I wait for them to contact me for when I can work etc. or should I contact them?
So I had the manager of front end pull me into a room just after I clocked out of my shift tonight and did I think a complaint basically i was refusing to go on checkouts but I weren't its just I was either helping customers or in warehouse where you can't hear it, basically she said it could stay on my record for 6 months ? Was it a disciplinary or a complaint ? I'm confused as obviously I weren't given much notice and I was going to miss my only way home and my point is she should have done it when I was still working
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I need to submit my references but it's asking for email addresses......

Hey, I had a similar issue myself, I luckily had the managers contact information, and asked her to give me her personal email which I checked was satisfactory, maybe try calling your previous workplace, and ask for your managers email.

Original post by willowxclark
After having a best welcome last Tuesday I went in again for checkout training.......

Phone first thing, ask to speak to your line manager, or section leader (assuming you know who they are), explain your situation, and hopefully someone will be able to help! But 100% call up, the next chance you can and find out!

Original post by Pricey23
So I had the manager of front end pull me into a room just after I clocked out of my shift tonight and did I think a complaint......

This sounds like a file note to me, I don't believe there are any serious consequences but if they accuse you (Whether rightly, or wrongly) of the same thing again, then I believe it would start to become more serious. I mean, just do whatever your manager says... at least you can't get moaned at then.
Original post by Pricey23
So I had the manager of front end pull me into a room just after I clocked out of my shift tonight and did I think a complaint basically i was refusing to go on checkouts but I weren't its just I was either helping customers or in warehouse where you can't hear it, basically she said it could stay on my record for 6 months ? Was it a disciplinary or a complaint ? I'm confused as obviously I weren't given much notice and I was going to miss my only way home and my point is she should have done it when I was still working

Tough one - talk to her again and explain this.

No point in getting file notes for silly stuff!
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I need to submit my references but it's asking for email addresses and my last employer (a small local store) doesn't have an email. Can I get around this or do I need to find another referee?

I had this exact same problem, I just wrote in the box "n/a no email", and it hasn't seemed to be a problem yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay so I was called yesterday to be told that I'd been successful in my application for a grocery colleague role. They are going to get back to me regarding an induction date, so I hope this is pretty soon.

So, some questions:

What exactly will my role entail?
What will happen at the induction? I am paid for this too aren't I?

Finally, I go on holiday on the 2nd August (they know this and it was absolutely fine). Is there a cut off date for July pay? I was just thinking that even if I only get a couple of shifts in by then it'd be ideal...a bit of extra spending money. Or will any hours worked now be paid at the end of August?

Cheers!
Reply 5938
Couple of questions, I start tuesday I went to the introduction welcome thingy today. I didnt have my account no with me (thought it was on my debit card) so the lady doing the introduction thing just said to put down my card number (I had my sort code though). Just checked and my account no is different to the long no on my card, should I bring this up when I go in or will I still be paid?

I'm in produce (I asked her if it was fruit and veg she said yes, though whats grocery then??) and I presume I will be trained then as I've had none. Also was given the uniform, the trousers fit fine around the waist but are SO baggy like its ridiculous, can't I just wear some smart black ones I have that aren't skinny but much slimmer. Also they didn't give me a jacket, but instead 1 with no arms? Can i ask for a fleecy one??

Overall the people we saw seemed friendly enough, and I dont have massive amounts of hours though enough just to get a bit of money.
Original post by Vitamin D
I had this exact same problem, I just wrote in the box "n/a no email", and it hasn't seemed to be a problem yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did not think of that Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest