The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roving Fish
Oops, no I meant holiday pay.

Your holiday entitlement moves with your contract, so if you're contracted to 24 hours then cut them to 8 then you'll get 32 hours of holiday a year (about 4 weeks, a little bit more here and there). :yy:

I'm surprised that you've not been asked to book all your holiday!

They dont know im leaving yet, well I think everyone but the managers know, but since the managers sit in the back chatting all day and haven't spoken to me for about three weeks it might be a surprise to them when 7 of their staff go to Uni. The first two handed in their notices this week and apparently the manager "wasn't expecting it" :biggrin:
Original post by Kemosabe99
They dont know im leaving yet, well I think everyone but the managers know, but since the managers sit in the back chatting all day and haven't spoken to me for about three weeks it might be a surprise to them when 7 of their staff go to Uni. The first two handed in their notices this week and apparently the manager "wasn't expecting it" :biggrin:

Will you be able to give three weeks notice to take a fortnight or two of holiday before going seasonal?
Anyone know if it states in a contract the amount of overtime you are expected to pick up over Xmas or is it just what each store would like from staff?
Results out soon for voice survey.
Original post by chuffy
Anyone know if it states in a contract the amount of overtime you are expected to pick up over Xmas or is it just what each store would like from staff?

You're asked to be as flexible as possible - however you fill in a flexibility questionnaire how much you can do.

If you are a seasonal colleague you're expected to work for 1 week with maximum flexibility.
Original post by Danno190
I think sometimes just a copy of the OED wouldn't go amiss either.

Anywho, 'nuff said. Wouldn't want to be in breach of Social Networking Policy :wink:

Prob talking about anything on here is a breach
Original post by Roving Fish
You're asked to be as flexible as possible - however you fill in a flexibility questionnaire how much you can do.

If you are a seasonal colleague you're expected to work for 1 week with maximum flexibility.

Wording is a bit onerous & open to interpretation then.
Does anybody know if the asda handbook says that work trousers have to be bootcut? I bought a pair of trousers from primark and they're straight leg (been wearing them for months) and I've been told they look like skinny jeans (they don't at all) and have to wear asda ones when the ones they give me never fit and are like tents at my ankles...

It's ridiculous because mens trousers are straight leg and I have to wear ugly, uncomfortable flare trousers? When it's actually could enough without having a draft at your feet. I think they're just picking on me tbh, can't do anything right in this place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dead101
Does anybody know if the asda handbook says that work trousers have to be bootcut? I bought a pair of trousers from primark and they're straight leg (been wearing them for months) and I've been told they look like skinny jeans (they don't at all) and have to wear asda ones when the ones they give me never fit and are like tents at my ankles...

It's ridiculous because mens trousers are straight leg and I have to wear ugly, uncomfortable flare trousers? When it's actually could enough without having a draft at your feet. I think they're just picking on me tbh, can't do anything right in this place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you 'have' to wear the Asda ones, i just wear normal black work trousers (which are bootcut I guess). Everyone else in my department wears trousers like this, so I'd just wear normal trousers if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitamin D
I don't think you 'have' to wear the Asda ones, i just wear normal black work trousers (which are bootcut I guess). Everyone else in my department wears trousers like this, so I'd just wear normal trousers if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do wear work trousers, they just happen to be straight leg ones. Bit sexist the guy ones aren't boot cut though
I worked 12-7 today so what breaks was I entitled to? I usually only do 8 and 9 hour shifts so I get half hour then 15 mins for those, is it the same for 7 hours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitamin D
I worked 12-7 today so what breaks was I entitled to? I usually only do 8 and 9 hour shifts so I get half hour then 15 mins for those, is it the same for 7 hours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just a half hour for a 7 hour. In general breaks are:

4/5 hours: 15
6 hours: 20 or 30 (if runs over a meal break)
7 hours: 30
8/9 hours: 30 & a 15
10 hours: two 15's and a 30
11/12 hours: two 30's and a 15

But if full shift runs over a meal break, no matter how long, you're expected to take a 30..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6192
Next week I'm off on holiday and on the chart on the chiller door it says time off with a (U) does this mean I won't be paid? If so why not?

also the week after that (my 2nd week on holiday) my name isn't on the chart at all..? Anyone able to shed any light?
----
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know what the '(O)'s and '(U)'s mean on the rota??
I'm pretty sure U is unavailable - meaning don't bother calling if theres a staff shortage. While the O means away but willing to come in - Think it means optional. - That was my boss told me.
I'm sick to death of working sundays- I cant wait for these next two weeks to be over so i can go back to uni
Reply 6197
Yeah I think you might be right with the U and O, I thought it meant unpaid but asked my section leader and said that wasn't the case and i will be paid when I'm away after all

How do you know how many days/hours holiday you get a year and when does the year start?
Original post by oh116
Yeah I think you might be right with the U and O, I thought it meant unpaid but asked my section leader and said that wasn't the case and i will be paid when I'm away after all

How do you know how many days/hours holiday you get a year and when does the year start?

It'll be on your payslip under holiday hours to take remaining, year starts April to march
U means under your contract hours for that day.
O means over your contract hours for the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending