Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The Working At Asda Thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m00balot)
    Hello, I work for ASDA and have done so for a year, have worked on ALOT of departments and am trained on ALOT of different things (I'm a bit of an ASDA whore, but I need the money, so I like to do alot!)

If you have ANY questions about applying, the application or the interviewing process, even the working and the way to use a till (if your desperate to know :P ) just ask!
    How much do you get?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i applied yesterday, do you think i still have a chance for a job? they seem to have already interviewed and hired a lot of people
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    I've got my checkout training on Sunday. I'm just a christmas temp. :yes:
    Good luck!

(Original post by Shippy)
    Had my first shift yesterday and it went really well! Had someone watching over me for about 4 hours, and then went on my own till for the last 2 hours of my shift and only need help once or twice, it's amazing how quickly you just absorb everything. I realy enjoyed it though, i like chatting to the customers and everything The only problem is that I couldn't get used to sitting down at all, i couldn't move things very well (i only have short arms) so ended up standing for all of my shift, which was good because i was working very efficiently, only had a big queue once, but my feet and back were killing when i'd finished!
    You really do pick everything up really quickly! For the sitting thing, make sure the chair is high/low enough that your legs are touching the underneath of the checkout. It shouldn't matter you have short arms, but you shouldn't need to stretch either.

(Original post by SupAJ1M)
    Thanks for the info, AndSparkles. What exactly am i suposed to wear to this magic event then? I can understand on a one to one interview you'd dress up nice but for a group thing, it all sounds very light and informal but then it doesnt lol....how did other guys dress at these events? :confused:
    Smart casual is best bet. No jeans or trainers tho.

(Original post by problemsolver)
    What is the best thing about working in ASDA?
    The people. And tbh, your customers.. they really make the difference. And it helps if you're like me and you like scanning things And talking...

(Original post by extom)
    Asda have emailed me today about this magic event bollox. They have given me less than 24 hours notice as the event is at 11am tomorrow

How many people get jobs at these events? I already have an offer to work at royal mail
    With that attitude, don't bother. And for reference, you're actually able to CHOOSE the event you attend, and book yourself on to whichever event. But even if you couldn't - it's you that wants the job, not them. You should be doing the running.

(Original post by destined1)
    ive got an induction dat 2 moz wat do i wear
    Clothes?
    In all seriousness, the same type of clothes you wore at interview and Asda Magic.

(Original post by Mr. Frying Pan)
    Depends. Is it a new store? Usually, I think there'll probably be just one vacancy, but I'm not too sure. Is it a temp position?
    All positions are now temporary for 12 weeks irregardless. Like probation basically. And there was about 4 at my store at first - but then they needed more, so it does change!

(Original post by extom)
    it's not a new store and i can't remember if it was a temp position or not, so long ago
    It'll be temp.

(Original post by extom)
    Hatfield

I'm a bit annoyed that they have given me less than 24hrs notice. I'm going to have to cancel things to go to this now
    It's the way it is. If you're that bothered, you shouldn't go.

(Original post by emily27x)
    Ah so nervous. Got my first day tomorrow. Already had my best welcome but they're getting me to shadow a runner tomorrow. I have no idea what to do or where to go :/. Don't have my name badge yet, my card isn't activated, and i don't have a clue what to do. Thanks for the advice too :P Hopefully getting some comfy shoes on sunday so i'll have to make do tomorrow :/. Ah dear! Good luck extom .

If you've got through to the magic event then unless you majorly mess up tomorrow you should have a job!
    Good luck! They'll show you everything, but be warned that you're gonna be knackered afterwards!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hearts10)
    What does the Christmas uniform look like? and what do you wear to the best welcome?
    It's all red with a little sewn on Santa on it.. and we have to wear hats too haha.

Just the same as interviews!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndSparkles)
    Good luck! They'll show you everything, but be warned that you're gonna be knackered afterwards!
    Thanks! I was gutted.. they put me on check outs from 9-1 and i took to it like a duck to water. Absolutely loved it. Then they realised that i'm only nearly 17 and took me off of the checkouts and now i have to hold the 'space here' stick. So so so gutted! Never mind! only 8 months to go until I can go back on the check outs!

The Christmas uniform is comfy! It's like a red shirt or long sleeved polo, and a red gilet with Santa on!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whats the best way to get a job at ASDA? Applying online or by actually going into a shop?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just applied, wish me luck!

(Original post by 1L8A7D9)
    Whats the best way to get a job at ASDA? Applying online or by actually going into a shop?
    I think even if you go into the store they'll tell you to do it online, it's a lot easier as well
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndSparkles)
    It's all red with a little sewn on Santa on it.. and we have to wear hats too haha.

Just the same as interviews!
    Do they make u wear the hats?! :O
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m00balot)
    Hello, I work for ASDA and have done so for a year, have worked on ALOT of departments and am trained on ALOT of different things (I'm a bit of an ASDA whore, but I need the money, so I like to do alot!)

If you have ANY questions about applying, the application or the interviewing process, even the working and the way to use a till (if your desperate to know :P ) just ask!
    Have you worked in the store warehouse or done delivery driving? if so, what do those jobs involve? Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BPickering)
    I had my group interview yesterday, and then we all had an individual interview. May I ask, when did they contact you to let you know whether you'd got the job or not?
    3 hours after I left! Lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what other company that recruits on line gives people less than 24hrs notice to attend a magic event? that day being a Saturday? complete shambles of an organisation

AND SPARKLES, you're wrong. There was only one date one I could select and it was on the same day as a very important event for me! Why are you so protective of asda, what role do you hold there?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mature_like_cheese)
    Woohoo I got a 16 hour contract working night shift!
    any ideas what the rate of pay is? thanks!
    Congratulations.

Regarding the pay rate, I think it's about £8.30 an hour. Is the store you applied for a 24-hour store, or are you going to be working while the store is closed?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Frying Pan)
    Congratulations.

Regarding the pay rate, I think it's about £8.30 an hour. Is the store you applied for a 24-hour store, or are you going to be working while the store is closed?
    Saw you today as you were walking out the store lol. Realised our pay has gone up to like 6.28 yesterday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    omg. how do you all remember the fruit codes? such a mare. also, gift cards and vouchers: not a clue! When I worked at M&S everything was touchscreen with a big picture
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    not sure about anything else but with the apg vouchers
    you check the receipt + the green print out have the same number.. the number is obvious on the green print out + it's at the top of the prices on the receipt. If it does, you scan the green print out and then press total + then you either scan the black print out, or type in 500 and press the 'coupon' button

don't forget to put 2 black lines through the coupons once you have used them but don't let the lines go through the bar code!

hope i helped!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily27x)
    not sure about anything else but with the apg vouchers
    you check the receipt + the green print out have the same number.. the number is obvious on the green print out + it's at the top of the prices on the receipt. If it does, you scan the green print out and then press total + then you either scan the black print out, or type in 500 and press the 'coupon' button

don't forget to put 2 black lines through the coupons once you have used them but don't let the lines go through the bar code!

hope i helped!
    Thank you! So you have to scan two things? I just thought you checked the receipt and vouchers matched then scan the voucher?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have an ASDA interview on Weds. I was wondering if the group interview and one to one interview are always done on separate days?

Has anyone ever done these both on the same day and then been told at a later time whether they have been successful or not??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, i hope someone can help me.
    I am currently a seasonal colleague within asda for thelast 3 years. Today I had to get in contact with them to let them know that i would only be able to work Christmas eve this year as i finish term on the 19th, i am currently in my final year of university and i have got a lot of work to do for the first week of jan. I currently live away from home and i will only be home from 23rd December for a week. I informed asda of my situation and they told me that unless i dont come back when every other seasonal colleague is coming back on the 11th December, then my contract will be terminated. I dont know what to do as my course does not end to 19th December for xmas.
    any help would be greatful.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Since I'm not trying to get a job at ASDA I suppose this could be kind of considered off-topic, but I have to ask it.... why do you insist on plastering the place with Christmas decorations and playing Christmas songs several weeks before advent even starts?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just applied, if i get invited to a 'magic' event i'm assuming jumper shirt trousers shoes is alright to wear?

Anybody know the current starting wage for Christmas temps? then again i suppose anythings better than £3.64 an hour.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 28, 2014
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.