Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Working At Asda Thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just got a phone call saying I've got the job for checkouts. 12 week temporary but possibly leading to permanent. So relieved. 18-36 hours a week, but I had no plans for summer apart from earning. Don't know when I start but she's sending an email my way with the details.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I applied for a job in the bakery of my local store and my application is 'under review' so I guess that means I didn't fail the online tests? There are also other jobs going at the same store but you could only apply for one at once, so my question is, will they only consider me for the bakery job, or will they see that I've applied to their store and consider me for the other jobs anyway? Not sure whether to bother filling in another 2 or 3 applications or not
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pay day !!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I want to work here! but, I didn't go to university
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berwick53)
    Pay day !!!!
    Just been paid Assume I will get my first wage slip when I go in later?
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tax rebates put the yay into payday.

There's a yay in there somewhere..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had my magic assessment and it went well i think. I went on the asda jobs website and the job status it says 'Assessment Successful - Waiting for right role'. Does this mean i got the job?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Tax rebates put the yay into payday.

There's a yay in there somewhere..
    Gah been put on a tax code and so docked £10.50 D: I think it's wrong though: I have another job which pays £35 per week and so I don't pay tax. As my earnings for both ASDA and my other job will be wayyyy below the threshold of £8k for taxable earnings, surely I shouldn't have been taxed??

Also today I was scanning some liver and the packet broke meaning I got liver and pigs blood all over me. Eugh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had my first shift today and already managed to burn myself on the hot food counter
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanstalkgirl_24)
    Gah been put on a tax code and so docked £10.50 D: I think it's wrong though: I have another job which pays £35 per week and so I don't pay tax. As my earnings for both ASDA and my other job will be wayyyy below the threshold of £8k for taxable earnings, surely I shouldn't have been taxed??

Also today I was scanning some liver and the packet broke meaning I got liver and pigs blood all over me. Eugh.
    Yeah, doesn't sound like you should be taxed on that. Go to personnel, they'll probably suggest what's best. Which code were you put on?

And I had the WORST day ever the other day, I ran over my foot with a FULL comp, then I smashed a jar of garlic and tomato sauce (SMELLY!) and then a jar down baby aisle was open and the banana porridge went all over my shoe.

In fairness it could have been worse, it could have been pigs blood.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Yeah, doesn't sound like you should be taxed on that. Go to personnel, they'll probably suggest what's best. Which code were you put on?

And I had the WORST day ever the other day, I ran over my foot with a FULL comp, then I smashed a jar of garlic and tomato sauce (SMELLY!) and then a jar down baby aisle was open and the banana porridge went all over my shoe.

In fairness it could have been worse, it could have been pigs blood.
    Ahh cool. Just spoke to my dad and he's says that when I leave my other job in July (its at a school) I can transfer my 'tax-free' tax code to ASDA and then ask the taxman for a rebate. Sounds like a plan.

Uhh that sounds gross :/ Am going to try and have a better day tomorrow and not have any abusive customers re alcohol. I'm not being funny, but if you give me a 16-25 railcard which has a picture of you but no DoB, I'm not going to serve you am I?! Doh!

Also I'm trying to signup for the ASDA stars thingy and it won't recognise my walmart number / postcode. Is this because I don't have any stars yet??
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran18)
    Had my first shift today and already managed to burn myself on the hot food counter
    Ouch! Hope you're not too badly burnt! Have been working at Asda for about 2 wks now and have to say I'm quite enjoying it. How are you finding it??
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alright guys. I applied to ASDA along with a load of other jobs and now I can't remember what I applied for and whether it was temp or permanent

Just checked my e-mail and I have to go to a ASDA magic thing. If the job was permanent do you think I should tell them I can't go because I'll be leaving for uni in September? And anyone know how to check? I logged back onto the website and it hasn't been very helpful.

If it is permanent and I get the job what are the chances that they'd allow me to transfer to the ASDA near my uni in September?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Alright guys. I applied to ASDA along with a load of other jobs and now I can't remember what I applied for and whether it was temp or permanent

Just checked my e-mail and I have to go to a ASDA magic thing. If the job was permanent do you think I should tell them I can't go because I'll be leaving for uni in September? And anyone know how to check? I logged back onto the website and it hasn't been very helpful.
    I've just started and I'm going to Uni in September. If they like you, they'll offer you a job and then you can either transfer to an ASDA near to your Uni (if they have a vacancy) or you can be seasonal at your home store only working when you're home in holidays. ie Xmas, Easter, Summer.

Personally I'd go and explain your situation to someone in personnel (they run the ASDA magic thing) - they were really understanding and fine about it when I said. They're probably really used to it. Also if nothing else it would give you group interview experience.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just started and I'm going to Uni in September. If they like you, they'll offer you a job and then you can either transfer to an ASDA near to your Uni (if they have a vacancy) or you can be seasonal at your home store only working when you're home in holidays. ie Xmas, Easter, Summer.

Personally I'd go and explain your situation to someone in personnel (they run the ASDA magic thing) - they were really understanding and fine about it when I said. They're probably really used to it. Also if nothing else it would give you group interview experience.
    Cheers. I just need to find out whether the job I applied for was permanent or temporary , I'd feel pretty stupid telling them if it was temporary in the first place. I also need to find out what job I applied for. I think it was shop floor assistant, is that a job role in ASDA?

Also what should I expect at the ASDA magic thing? What kind of questions etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Cheers. I just need to find out whether the job I applied for was permanent or temporary , I'd feel pretty stupid telling them if it was temporary in the first place. I also need to find out what job I applied for. I think it was shop floor assistant, is that a job role in ASDA?

Also what should I expect at the ASDA magic thing? What kind of questions etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    ASDA magic is a group selection event. Its basically a bit of form filling (remember your ID), a bit of a 'have a go' on shop floor ie I did bag packing as I applied for checkouts, and some group things. We did 'how could this store integrate the Olympics more into community life' etc, coming up with ideas. Basically, be friendly, don't be too loud or too quiet and try to be involved in the activities. Oh, dress smart, be punctual and be polite.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    ASDA magic is a group selection event. Its basically a bit of form filling (remember your ID), a bit of a 'have a go' on shop floor ie I did bag packing as I applied for checkouts, and some group things. We did 'how could this store integrate the Olympics more into community life' etc, coming up with ideas. Basically, be friendly, don't be too loud or too quiet and try to be involved in the activities. Oh, dress smart, be punctual and be polite.
    Legend. Cheers.

I was thinking grey chino's (they look pretty smart), white shirt (with a tie?), and smart shoes.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Legend. Cheers.

I was thinking grey chino's (they look pretty smart), white shirt (with a tie?), and smart shoes.
    TBH I would go suited, by what does your letter say? I know some say smart casual so in this case I would have thought chinos and a shirt/tie would be fine When is it??
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    TBH I would go suited, by what does your letter say? I know some say smart casual so in this case I would have thought chinos and a shirt/tie would be fine When is it??
    "As the selection event is practical, please dress appropriately for the event, something smart but casual would be perfect (no trainers please). You want to make the right impression but obviously you’ll be getting involved on the shop floor so nothing too formal."

From the e-mail.

It's on Tuesday. I only applied for the job on Friday so it's a bit soon but oh well.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone working at ASDA sick of the term "OSCA" yet?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 19, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.