The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DoktaUH
Yowch, must've been pre-WTD to get away with those kind of hours!

Maybe , it wasn't allowed at the time either but it was "exceptional circumstances" because we basically had a new store and not enough employees to run it properly, so i took all the overtime i could...

Ended up averaging 62.5 hours a week all summer.. Not the most fun summer of my life but i was rolling in it...
I don't think it's bad - i'm happy? :tongue:
Reply 162
magic interview today :smile:
Original post by conway!
magic interview today :smile:

Don't worry about it, it's quite fun!

Just be happy to speak and talk and listen and present! :biggrin:
Reply 164
Ive recently started at Asda, im on checkouts and love it. Im in a Supermarket not superstore, im sure Asda peeps know what i mean, so we are only open 8am - 8pm mon - sat and 10 - 4 sunday, i dont work that many long shifts.
Reply 165
Original post by FattyInNeed
Don't worry about it, it's quite fun!

Just be happy to speak and talk and listen and present! :biggrin:

i don't think i was too bad - in the balloon tower task i yanked a bit of sellotape by accident and knocked it down, but i did offer to do things first when nobody else wanted to and other than the balloon thing me and my group did quite well in the tasks.
unfortunately although i applied for day shift checkouts, they only have night shifts available, so even if i was successful i'm not entirely sure I even could. rubbish :p:
Reply 166
Original post by conway!
i don't think i was too bad - in the balloon tower task i yanked a bit of sellotape by accident and knocked it down, but i did offer to do things first when nobody else wanted to and other than the balloon thing me and my group did quite well in the tasks.
unfortunately although i applied for day shift checkouts, they only have night shifts available, so even if i was successful i'm not entirely sure I even could. rubbish :p:

Don't worry about it, If you impressed them but don't want the shifts they have available, they'll keep you on file and come to you when they have other vacancies :smile:
Original post by MHorman

The picture is a random one off somebodies facebook, i'm actually a vegetarian myself, I just wanted to get comments from these TSR bacon lovers and it worked. :rofl:

:ninjagirl:
Original post by FattyInNeed
The picture is a random one off somebodies facebook, i'm actually a vegetarian myself, I just wanted to get comments from these TSR bacon lovers and it worked. :rofl:

:ninjagirl:

Sure it is :wink:

I've had a few of those breakfasts before at asda though. Expecially good when you have a morning shift( i never do morning shifts, only done like 5 shifts before noon in the last 2 years, did go through a phase at the beginning of working 9-5 but stopped when had to go back to college...) and everytime i've done morning it's normally accompanied by a fry up breakfast. :smile:

Worst thing is the bloody vending machines though, full of cheap chocolate/fizzy drinks and crisps etc... I swear they never have anything remotely healthy in them.

At Xmas when i go back to work i'll be doing 12-8 shifts so will be taking a large sandwich or two for lunch and a piece of fruit or cereal bar or something for evening break then dins when i get home... I need a plan to avoid the chocolate...
Original post by MHorman
Sure it is :wink:

I've had a few of those breakfasts before at asda though. Expecially good when you have a morning shift( i never do morning shifts, only done like 5 shifts before noon in the last 2 years, did go through a phase at the beginning of working 9-5 but stopped when had to go back to college...) and everytime i've done morning it's normally accompanied by a fry up breakfast. :smile:

Worst thing is the bloody vending machines though, full of cheap chocolate/fizzy drinks and crisps etc... I swear they never have anything remotely healthy in them.

At Xmas when i go back to work i'll be doing 12-8 shifts so will be taking a large sandwich or two for lunch and a piece of fruit or cereal bar or something for evening break then dins when i get home... I need a plan to avoid the chocolate...

Yeah, the vending machines = :facepalm:

And really, it is! :tongue:

My shift today is 6pm-midnight.

Infact, thinking about it, I haven't had a single morning shift...

...yet. :erm:
Reply 170
i had the interview on monday, got an e-mail saying sorry but i was on a waiting list on wednesday, then a phone call on thursday saying ignore the e-mail, can you do 12 hours a week on checkouts :biggrin:

So...best welcome thing on saturday. yay :biggrin: i guess me accidentally sabotaging my own balloon tower didn't matter :smile:
Reply 171
Hey, Im 15 and would like a weekend job at my local asda, will they take me on now at 15? I'm 16 in march 2011
Reply 172
Original post by Karlc1995
Hey, Im 15 and would like a weekend job at my local asda, will they take me on now at 15? I'm 16 in march 2011

As far as I'm aware most, if not all, jobs require you to have a national insurance number which you don't get until your 16th birthday.

No harm in going into your local store and asking though, might let you work as a carpark porter, gathering trolleys :smile:
Reply 173
Oh, thanks alot, i mean for he info its handy to have, thanks for helpingg, didnt expect a reply so quick lol :smile:
Original post by Karlc1995

Sorry to burst your bubble but they won't employ anyone until 16.

They'll employ you in March if you pass the interviews etc but not until then...
Reply 175
can anyone give me a hand? i got my checkout training today and the guy training us gave us someone to shadow then we had a go ourselves. i had 10 minutes experience and then the woman helping me kept leaving to sort stuff out so as a result, i can't remember how to put through gift vouchers, or the shopping card - i remember 'Luncheon vouchers' having a barcode on them but they weren't scanned she did something else with them... and i can only remember how to get the red DVD tags out by using that magnet to pull it, but no other tags.

and also, the girl i was with left used coupons out when she left her shift, and i just thought about that there, will either one us be in trouble for that?
Original post by conway!
can anyone give me a hand? i got my checkout training today and the guy training us gave us someone to shadow then we had a go ourselves. i had 10 minutes experience and then the woman helping me kept leaving to sort stuff out so as a result, i can't remember how to put through gift vouchers, or the shopping card - i remember 'Luncheon vouchers' having a barcode on them but they weren't scanned she did something else with them... and i can only remember how to get the red DVD tags out by using that magnet to pull it, but no other tags.

and also, the girl i was with left used coupons out when she left her shift, and i just thought about that there, will either one us be in trouble for that?

Hi :smile: lesson number 1, Asda are crap with checkout "training".
Gift cards: press total and if they want all of the money taken off it, you type in the amount of money they have to pay and press "gift card", then you swipe. If they want money put ON to their shopping card, press clear, and type in the amount they want, then press "gift card" and swipe. Then press total.
Any coupons you get, make sure you put them in to your till (I've been told off for not doing so!).
Any coupons, just use the "coupon" button :smile:
Don't worry about all the till stuff tbh. I've worked at ASDA for over 2 years and still pass the weird things to other tills to get the tags taken off.(It's the shaving boxes i can never open)

Next time you're in and on tills just ask someone around you how to do the different things. Everyone was new at some point. Relax...
I work checkouts too - mostly do everything myself, occasionally have to call a runner but mostly its just "can I have some more bags/voucher books, etc.". :smile:
Reply 179
ok so coupons like lunch vouchers, £10 gift vouchers etc you just press coupon then the amount? and enter or something?

i'll try ask someone about the tags, i don't know if that's my checkout training finished (9am-6pm sat & sun plus monday 5-10pm is my training but i only got 45 minutes actually on tills today) but if its not ill ask. otherwise i may have to annoy someone nearby a few times and at worst call a runner :smile:

thanks to the above for being so helpful :smile:

edit - sorry for all the questions but i just realised something - is that all the training i'm getting? 15 minutes being explained the buttons, and 45 'shadowing' and having a go? because i only served like 6 people and really haven't got the hang of everything. ahh i'm scared :p:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending