The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Hey,

I haven't seen an official thread for Asda employee's on here but I've seen threads for M&S, Sainsburys and Waitrose etc, so thought i'd make an Asda thread :smile:

I've got a job at my local Asda, got the induction this Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you're an Asda employee or have an Asda interview coming up and want some advice, post in here :smile:

thecdon :awesome:

This section will hopefully give you answers to some questions that you may have about either working for Asda or the recruitment process. If you have any more questions then feel free to ask them in the thread and someone will do their best to answer you.

Applying for a job

Spoiler

Interviews

Spoiler

Inductions (The Best Welcome)

Spoiler

Asda & University

Spoiler

Individual Store Disclaimer
Please note that these FAQs are based on answers from within the thread so do come from a variety of stores and areas. However, every store is different so these FAQs are a guide as to what happens generally across the company but should not be taken as gospel.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I work in ASDA :smile:
Reply 2
whysoserious
I work in ASDA :smile:

Nice! How long you been there for? What's the pay like? I got told the pay rate but have forgotten! :o:
thecdon
Nice! How long you been there for? What's the pay like? I got told the pay rate but have forgotten! :o:

I have been there for 2 years now!
Work just the weekends now coz Im at uni
pay is £6.24 but I I think it may be just under £6 when you first start
Reply 4
whysoserious
I have been there for 2 years now!
Work just the weekends now coz Im at uni
pay is £6.24 but I I think it may be just under £6 when you first start

Does it get boring after a certain amount of time? What sort of stuff do you do?
Do you get paid weekly or is it four weekly? :smile:
Reply 5
thecdon
Hey,

I haven't seen an official thread for Asda employee's on here but I've seen threads for M&S, Sainsburys and Waitrose etc, so thought i'd make an Asda thread :smile:

I've got a job at my local Asda, got the induction this Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you're an Asda employee or have an Asda interview coming up and want some advice, post in here :smile:

thecdon :awesome:

You going to greet each customer with jays comment of the week? lol. I just started out at Whitestuff! 50% discount, boom!
Reply 6
finnyounger
You going to greet each customer with jays comment of the week? lol. I just started out at Whitestuff! 50% discount, boom!

Haha yeah I will! Hopefully there will be lots of clunge at Asda begging to be tapped!

/Jay
thecdon
Does it get boring after a certain amount of time? What sort of stuff do you do?
Do you get paid weekly or is it four weekly? :smile:

Have to be honest yes it is very boring
Although its not too bad now coz Im ony doin 2 days
Im on the checkouts which is the worst position there!! (repetative)
I also do petrol, home shopping, self scan, running and kiosk
So Im trained on quite a bit lol

Pay is four weekly
I get paid tomorrow :woo:

Its good for the money, discount, lots of friendly colleagues and they are very flexible for holidays and such .... theres ALWAYS overtime if you need/want some
For the checkouts they pester you a lot about overtime and I feel like you are just a number
But more pros than cons :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
whysoserious
Have to be honest yes it is very boring
Although its not too bad now coz Im ony doin 2 days
Im on the checkouts which is the worst position there!! (repetative)
I also do petrol, home shopping, self scan, running and kiosk
So Im trained on quite a bit lol

Pay is four weekly
I get paid tomorrow :woo:

Its good for the money, discount, lots of friendly colleagues and they are very flexible for holidays and such .... theres ALWAYS overtime if you need/want some
For the checkouts they pester you a lot about overtime and I feel like you are just a number
But more pros than cons :yep:

Cheers for answering my questions :smile:
I'm starting on about 30 hours a week (6am-1pm) 4 days a week. I need as much money as possible, but obviously with lunch hours and that it is only 26 hours paid. Is it possible to work through a lunch hour and earn more money? Or do you have to take it?:eek3:
good luck.
Reply 10
Anyone got any tips for me starting? And what's the induction about?
thecdon
Cheers for answering my questions :smile:
I'm starting on about 30 hours a week (6am-1pm) 4 days a week. I need as much money as possible, but obviously with lunch hours and that it is only 26 hours paid. Is it possible to work through a lunch hour and earn more money? Or do you have to take it?:eek3:

I know it sucks!
You unfortunately have to take it ... If you dont swipe out and take it then they take off an hour! :mad:
What department are you working on?
6am to 1pm is actually a pretty good shift
You may not have a half an hour lunch taken off of you
I think you would get a breakfast break but no lunch since you are finishing at 1pm ... I think
Reply 12
whysoserious
I know it sucks!
You unfortunately have to take it ... If you dont swipe out and take it then they take off an hour! :mad:
What department are you working on?
6am to 1pm is actually a pretty good shift
You may not have a half an hour lunch taken off of you
I think you would get a breakfast break but no lunch since you are finishing at 1pm ... I think

I'd be on the meat section (not butchers!) so just shelf stacking bacon and beef and what not. Do you get paid for breaks?
Thats pretty good
You get paid breakfast, afternoon and evening breaks
You dont get paid for lunch and tea breaks ... you dont have to swipe out for your tea break, just your lunch
breakfast, afternoon and evening are usually the 15-20 mins breaks though ... but since you are doing 7 hours Im not too sure what break you will get
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Is there a online thing where you have to apply? Or just go in asda and ask?
Tesco is better! Asda sucks ball sack hahaha
Reply 16
whysoserious
Thats pretty good
You get paid breakfast, afternoon and evening breaks
You dont get paid for lunch and tea breaks ... you dont have to swipe out for your tea break, just your lunch
breakfast, afternoon and evening are usually the 15-20 mins breaks though ... but since you are doing 7 hours Im not too sure what break you will get

Surely if you take or don't take lunch it's up to you!?
Hi,

I went for an 'Asda Magic' assessment thing this week and have just had an interview today. Induction is next week just thinking over if I should take the job or not.
thecdon
Surely if you take or don't take lunch it's up to you!?

May be different in other stores although I doubt it
Lunch and tea is when most people are in doing a shift like the normal 9-5 or 12-8 ... hence why they are unpaid
At our store you can skip lunch if you want but you would still be getting unpaid and since you didnt swipe out you will lose an hour even though you are still working :s-smilie:
Id rather skip mine and be paid but Im sure everyone wants to do that
So thats why we arent allowed to skip it I guess
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
whysoserious
May be different in other stores although I doubt it
Lunch and tea is when most people are in doing a shift like the normal 9-5 or 12-8 ... hence why they are unpaid
At our store you can skip lunch if you want but you would still be getting unpaid and since you didnt swipe out you will lose an hour even though you are still working :s-smilie:
Id rather skip mine and be paid but Im sure everyone wants to do that
So thats why we arent allowed to skip it I guess

I see. Like you said, my shift is peculiar hours, so I will ask my manager at my induction.
Whats the induction like?

Quick Reply

Latest