The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
The English have been trying for centuries to subdue them.. violently of course dislike will persist not to mention just as the leave campaigners dont like brussells having authority over them the scots dont like london making decisions when they have Holyrood. Oh and we must not forget the borderline genocide ... whereby we tried to erase their customs/language/traditions etc.
Reply 81
The English are spoiled ***** but if you **** with the English then you **** with Scottish we are kinda like brothers like that.
Because the English always look at you funny when you hand them a Scottish bank note!

It's bloody legal tender!!!!!!
Scottesh
Scohlend
Having spent quite a lot of time up in Scotland, I have to say that it is only a small (but vocal) minority of Scotts that really feel this way.

The (often bloody) history between England and Scotland technically ended with the act of union in 1707 when we joined to become one united Kingdom, surely by now we should all be considering ourselves 'British'.

It's really no surprise that the EU is falling apart with its 28 (soon to be 27) member states each with significantly different history and culture, when after 400 years the people of this island still identify themselves as belonging to kingdoms that have not existed for over 400 years !

In my opinion, it is about time that, England, Irelend(all of it), Scotland and Wales all united fully under one flag, that of the British isles, one nation, with mixed cultural heritage, one set of laws, and yes one football team to represent us in the world cup so that we may actually stand a chance of actually winning... A truly united Britain would be a truly unstoppable force like the Great Britain of old, only this time with the wisdom of history on our side, so no Imperial aspirations, no military conquest. Just a powerful, vibrant and prosperous nation, forward thinking and optimistic about our future and our place in the world...

Rule Britannia....
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Stunted Elf
Having spent quite a lot of time up in Scotland, I have to say that it is only a small (but vocal) minority of Scotts that really feel this way.

The (often bloody) history between England and Scotland technically ended with the act of union in 1707 when we joined to become one united Kingdom, surely by now we should all be considering ourselves 'British'.

It's really no surprise that the EU is falling apart with its 28 (soon to be 27) member states each with significantly different history and culture, when after 400 years the people of this island still identify themselves as belonging to kingdoms that have not existed for over 400 years !

In my opinion, it is about time that, England, Irelend(all of it), Scotland and Wales all united fully under one flag, that of the British isles, one nation, with mixed cultural heritage, one set of laws, and yes one football team to represent us in the world cup so that we may actually stand a chance of actually winning... A truly united Britain would be a truly unstoppable force like the Great Britain of old, only this time with the wisdom of history on our side, so no Imperial aspirations, no military conquest. Just a powerful, vibrant and prosperous nation, forward thinking and optimistic about our future and our place in the world...

Rule Britannia....

Ignoring the fact that the union of 1707 was unpopular in Scotland - Scotland then had to get through the Highland Clearances. The effects of which are still felt today.

Nowadays most Scottish people do not 'hate the English' because that's a facile and basic way of looking at things. In truth, people in Glasgow have lots in common with those living in other British cities.

But as a country- Scotland was shafted and issues about language and land ownership persist today. Scotland doesn't hate the English- but it hates a lot of what 'England' stands for.
Ah, I don't think anyone really knows... Being born in Scotland and having an English mother hasn't always been easy, especially since I picked up her accent and I live in an area where people are particularly... "proud" to be Scottish, shall we say :s-smilie: I have had quite a few of my fellow Scottish classmates make rude remarks about myself and my mother on multiple occasions, but I try to move past that.

I do think it's disgusting that the Scottish are so hateful when it comes to football, though. I remember watching an England v Scotland game not too long ago (I'm not entirely sure which one; maybe the World Cup Qualifiers?) and the Scottish fans were BOOING while England sang the BRITISH National Anthem. And then they played those horrible bagpipes and not a single English person booed! Shows a lot about the relationship between the two countries... It's definitely one-sided hatred, even if it is "just banter" :curious:
(edited 6 years ago)
I've lived in Scotland for 4 years and have never really met anyone who treated me any differently due to being English, although maybe that has something to do with me being very northern. :dontknow:

I like that the Scottish people have a lot of national pride, I definitely like that they are all so in touch with their culture and heritage, much more so than English people (generally).

Although before I moved up here, lots of English family and friends warned me against it because 'Scottish people don't like the English'.
hi i'm a Scott and we don't hate u but we do hate ur government they take all of our money for oil and that is why we hate them and sum of us hate the queen not me tho
Reply 89
Lack of plain bread, no bridies and the abomination of fish suppers using cod not haddock.
As a Geordie who is in Scotland routinely I can't say I've experienced any hostility, quite the opposite. I think Scotland is great, hope they get to stay in the EU somehow. That reminds me, I need to get my hands on a bottle of Longrow Peated.
Original post by lazybaby
hi i'm a Scott and we don't hate u but we do hate ur government they take all of our money for oil and that is why we hate them and sum of us hate the queen not me tho

We don't have one.
Original post by BADBOY89
Really, whether Scotland or England, it's all UK. What is this harted all about?

I think you might be confusing Scottish people hating individual English people, because they are English, with Scottish people disliking "the English".

I know plenty of fellow Scots who will talk about "the English" but by that really mean "England". So for example, I don't hate any of my English friends for their nationality, but I do find it slightly annoying that their country lines up to vote for governments who openly admit they will cut public sector funds, but then those friends get all angry about the state of the public sector.

I don't think Scottish people hate England, we just find much of what comes out of there to be kind of ridiculous. Scotland and England may have a long history but politically, we really are two very different peoples.
Because of Mel Gibson
Really, whether Scotland or England, it's all UK. What is this harted all about?

And the unusual is that the Welsh also have a dislike for the English. But when England plays at a Football world cup, the Welsh do show support for England. The Scottish always support the team that plays against England.

History, history is the mist common answer but the battles that have been fought between England and Scotland broke out thousands of years ago. We are 21st century now and as I hear from most friends is that nobody hates the English as much as the Scottish.

Scots don't have the English! Utter nonsense :smile:
It's friendly banter. I mean, A Scot and and Englishman will fight but if a Frenchman comes to pick a fight, we'll immediately put aside our differences. We may be enemies, but the frogs are worse! XD
Im half english and half scottish, i really dont see any hatred

And the unusual is that the Welsh also have a dislike for the English. But when England plays at a Football world cup, the Welsh do show support for England. The Scottish always support the team that plays against England.

History, history is the mist common answer but the battles that have been fought between England and Scotland broke out thousands of years ago. We are 21st century now and as I hear from most friends is that nobody hates the English as much as the Scottish.

Yeah, that's true. I think most of it comes from the days of ol' Willy Wallace.
Hate is a very strong word and English prefer to send out love. We are, in general, not jealous, bitter or particularly angry. England bloody rocks...move ON !!!!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I find the Scottish don't mind the fact I'm English :sexface:

Have you lived there ?? They are super racist and proud of it xx

Latest

Trending

Trending