The Student Room Group

Infected wisdom tooth

Scroll to see replies

Original post by insignificant
It's not the pain I fear, it's the general anaesthetic, I have a fear of not being fully asleep, not being able to move and having a panic attack , if I have to have it out I hope it's only a local one!

I put people to sleep for a living, and routinely do this operation.
We never paralyse a patient.

In simple terms 2 drugs are often given during major surgery. One paralyses the muscles. This is because you still get some reflexes even when asleep, making certain surgeries difficult - in particular those inside the abdomen.
The other puts you to sleep.

In dental surgery we only use the one that puts to sleep. So if you really were waking up mid-surgery you response would be to punch the surgeon.

Of course even before you are a tiny bit awake I would notice as your heart rate and breathing would speed up making my machine make loud beeping noises. I would then give you more drugs to get you asleep.

Hope that helps.
Original post by Jamie
I put people to sleep for a living, and routinely do this operation.
We never paralyse a patient.

In simple terms 2 drugs are often given during major surgery. One paralyses the muscles. This is because you still get some reflexes even when asleep, making certain surgeries difficult - in particular those inside the abdomen.
The other puts you to sleep.

In dental surgery we only use the one that puts to sleep. So if you really were waking up mid-surgery you response would be to punch the surgeon.

Of course even before you are a tiny bit awake I would notice as your heart rate and breathing would speed up making my machine make loud beeping noises. I would then give you more drugs to get you asleep.

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot, thankyou! I have a question for you.. Do you have any kind of procedure for people who have panic attacks? As I have a lot of them and would most likely have one before all the needles and things..
That helps a lot, thankyou! I have a question for you.. Do you have any kind of procedure for people who have panic attacks? As I have a lot of them and would most likely have one before all the needles and things..

99% of people who say they suffer panic attacks don't when they actually come into hospital.
Our response would be to get the needle in. Makes little difference to us whether you are hyperventilating or relaxed as, once the 'injection' is over you'll calm down!
Original post by Jamie
99% of people who say they suffer panic attacks don't when they actually come into hospital.
Our response would be to get the needle in. Makes little difference to us whether you are hyperventilating or relaxed as, once the 'injection' is over you'll calm down!

Agh sounds good then! I'm about ready to rip it out myself, it hurts so much, doesn't help that my cheek is swollen, I keep biting it by accident.

It's coming out lopsided, one side isn't coming through at all :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Well went back to the dentist today and she said I've now got swollen glands swollen gums, swollen everything. So she gave me more antibiotics to take alongside the ones I'm already taking, if this doesn't work then I'll go crazy!
It's not the pain I fear, it's the general anaesthetic, I have a fear of not being fully asleep, not being able to move and having a panic attack , if I have to have it out I hope it's only a local one!

There's nothing to worry about. The anesthetist does many of these a day and I am sure if he/she wasn't doing it correctly and had people waking up during operations, he/she wouldn't have a job anymore. They'll weigh you and take your height to figure out the correct amount of anesthetic to give you.

I had infected wisdom teeth. I couldn't eat and would cry when I ate baby food. I had them all out, was in a bit of pain and my face was a bit sore and fat, but it wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. You get to eat jelly and custard/yogurt for a while :smile: Also, don't read the horror stories on the internet., People always write about bad stuff and never the good stuff!
Reply 26
I had one in March and was really ill with it. There was a flap of cartilage (sp?) over my wisdom tooth and there was an infection underneath, so gross, I couldn't eat for a week and had to go to the emergency dental hospital. They didn't pull the tooth but I had to take 3 different kinds of antibiotics which made me totally high plus painkillers. The tooth is through now so hopefully it won't recur.
Original post by morfin
I had one in March and was really ill with it. There was a flap of cartilage (sp?) over my wisdom tooth and there was an infection underneath, so gross, I couldn't eat for a week and had to go to the emergency dental hospital. They didn't pull the tooth but I had to take 3 different kinds of antibiotics which made me totally high plus painkillers. The tooth is through now so hopefully it won't recur.

I know, I feel ridiculous taking 2 different antibiotics and painkillers on top of my normal medicine. My dad made me up a bag of peas for my jaw though, and went to tesco and got me some Ben and jerrys haha
Gah, memories of pain. Luckily I didn't need an operation.
Am in pain now i take my tooth out 3 day now i have to live on paracetamol

Quick Reply

Latest