The Student Room Group

Foreigners at University?

This is a genuine question and there should be no sign of contempt so don't automatically depict me as some sort of a racist when I ask, but, why are are there so so many foreigners at university? I ask because I personally don't know and I'd like to inquire about it...since I assume most of you have a logical conclusion. There are a lot I know that travel abroad to the UK for a university education, I see many around campus and I'd say a good proportion of those in my course are from another country. Indeed half of my flatmates are from either Singapore, Hong Kong or Malaysia.

But...I've seen a few that can barely speak a word of English and it makes me wonder what they can really get from coming here and why it is preferred to study in foreign place? Someone told me they pay higher tuition fees so surely that's even less incentive? If we have a huge problem with University places for our own students why are so many accepted from abroad? I'd just like to know so I don't become prejudicial about the whole thing.
Reply 1
Original post by Anti Elephant Mine
This is a genuine question and there should be no sign of contempt so don't automatically depict me as some sort of a racist when I ask, but, why are are there so so many foreigners at university? I ask because I personally don't know and I'd like to inquire about it...since I assume most of you have a logical conclusion. There are a lot I know that travel abroad to the UK for a university education, I see many around campus and I'd say a good proportion of those in my course are from another country. Indeed half of my flatmates are from either Singapore, Hong Kong or Malaysia.

But...I've seen a few that can barely speak a word of English and it makes me wonder what they can really get from coming here and why it is preferred to study in foreign place? Someone told me they pay higher tuition fees so surely that's even less incentive? If we have a huge problem with University places for our own students why are so many accepted from abroad? I'd just like to know so I don't become prejudicial about the whole thing.

Most are from former colonies so that has an influence on preference, often its rich parents who were alive during the period of British rule. Britist universities do tend to have a very good reputation, they are not as expensive as America and we speak english.
But it doesnt cost the government anything to give these students a place. The governmetn doesnt have to support them monetarily or give them loans etc. British students (and EU students) get all the "perks" so more or less interest free loans, subsidised fees etc. Unis make a profit more often than not on foreign students.
Reply 2
English is the business language so it's attractive to the non-English. International students are financially viable so it's attractive to the universities. It's win-win. Plus if you're smart enough, then you have the right to fight to get in.
Reply 3
Basically it is about making money. Without international student fees some courses, departments and maybe even some universities could not survive.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/oct/14/international-students-pay-20000

However, for a while now, many have suspected that some institutions have pushed the overseas recruitment too far and may even have compromised standards (forming an unofficial two tier system):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7358528.stm

Latest

Trending

Trending