The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
fail thread
Are you joking?
Reply 3
It's funny how racism is more overt elsewhere in Europe but we've got the reputation for it. Saying that, few people can actually make an objective judgement on this. It's mostly just 'my country is better than yours'.
To an extent I do agree. I mean, it is still there, only last year some customer said he didn't want to be served by me and I quote "a stupid paki bitch", but in our generation it's less prevalent than ever before. People are moving forward and past race. I don't know if I'd go as far as saying we are the most liberal in this area though in the world.
i'd say canada is far more tolerant than the UK
Original post by soutioirsim
You obviously havent met my Nan...

Hah! Nor my Gramp.
Reply 7
Germany is more tolerant than the UK
Reply 8
Tibet?
Reply 9
Original post by soutioirsim
You obviously havent met my Nan...
Well my nan's not racist so you must be the wrong! :rolleyes:

Although we can all think of examples to 'prove' otherwise, and can all name a country that might be better, I suspect that the OP is on the right lines. The level of overt racism in the UK is low in comparison to many parts of the world.
What!

You haven't any idea what you're talking about.
If people are not racist, it is not because they're British.
If they are racist....well, what can I say?
There's a guy I know called Nick Griffin.
Original post by SpiritedAway
To an extent I do agree. I mean, it is still there, only last year some customer said he didn't want to be served by me and I quote "a stupid paki bitch",

Maybe the problem was that you are a stupid bitch, and he simply said "paki" to make it clear he meant you.
It's quite common to chuck an inert descriptive word in to an insult, like mentioning someone's height or hair colour - both completely neutral things - just to pad out the insult a bit.
Original post by Threepigs
Germany is more tolerant than the UK

That's not what she said...
I'd agree with you there, through the generations and generations of immigration the UK has seen since the 50s Britain has become more (I don't want to say tolerant) but welcoming to people of other races in our country and our major cities are probably the most multi-racial/cultural in Europe. It's just a shame that in Britain there are a certain number of ignorant people who are completely intolerant of races foreign to their own.
Original post by cttp_ngaf
Maybe the problem was that you are a stupid bitch, and he simply said "paki" to make it clear he meant you.
It's quite common to chuck an inert descriptive word in to an insult, like mentioning someone's height or hair colour - both completely neutral things - just to pad out the insult a bit.

"paki" is a racist term mate, whether she is a stupid bitch or not, it's still racist you absolute moron
We're not the least racist, or most tolerant, country in the world; we are however one of them.

**** the people that argue otherwise.
i think so from experience in other countries...
however doesnt mean we should be content as there is still too many racist attitudes especially amongst the older generations

usa for all its multiculturalism i found is actually quite racist especially against hispanics
Original post by notonmygapyah
"paki" is a racist term mate, whether she is a stupid bitch or not, it's still racist you absolute moron

Oh right, I seem to have misunderstood what racism was about. How does it all work? Like, if I say "paki" out loud now, am I... a racist? Or is it only racist when a paki hears me say it? Or when anyone hears me?
Who decides what words are "racist" or not - is there some resource which maintains an up-to-date list for me to refer to?
And, I suppose, if racism is about using forbidden words, what is actually bad about it? Do people set up these words just so that they can be offended and outraged when someone says them?

I'm not being funny, I'm new to all this so I don't know about words and what's allowed or not.

Thanks
Reply 19
Really?

Small issue? :s-smilie: :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfcZxygstjc
I know this is not really relevant :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending