Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weight: 97kg
    Body fat: 30% - 15-20kg too much
    Waist: 41" - aim to get down to 32-34"
    Goals:

1. Rehab ACL reconstruction (Sept 10th 2013)
    2. Rehab shoulder impingement/possible SLAP tear
    3. Pursue athletic qualities (strength, speed/power, conditioning)
    4. Get in shape
    5. Get mobile
    6. Return to sport

Plan:
    • 6x4 week phases till return (Jan-July) - lower/upper split with jumps/throws/sprints/conditioning and practice - may start playing in the second/last phase slowly
    • 2x4 ish week phases in-season (July-Sept) - 2x full body, 1 speed/agility, 1 conditioning, with 1/2 matches a week and training
    • 2x4 week phases before back training with uni (Sept-Oct) - lower/upper split
    • Lots of mobility/myofascial release/corrective stretching throughout

Lifting stats (post injury, not-op):
    • Front squat 2 rep max - 105kg
    • Deadlift 2 rep max - 180kg
    • Chin ups - 4x6 at 92kg - will start 4x6 then go to 5x3 by phase 4
    • Landmine press - replacing bench for shoulder safety - will start 4x6 then go to 5x3 by phase 4

Training goals:
    • I have no precise goals with regards to lifting. Strength will not come easy while losing fat. I will be working up to a heavy set of 5, then 3, then 1, then deload in the final wek (1 deadlift/trap bar deadlift/front squat/front box squat a week only).
    • A lot of my upper body sessions will have an emphasis on shoulder health and rehab, as well some around lower body workouts.
    • All sessions will include anterior/lateral/rotary core exercises.
    • There will be more accessory movements given that I train for athleticism. There will also be lots of other forms of training combined with lifting, to varying degrees.

So, I'm currently on a pre post-grad gap year having injured my in knee in June 2013 playing cricket. Had weight issues before that through uni too. Got work to do to get back to my best. I intend to go back as an athletic/aesthetic beast.

I will post training plan ready in the next few days!

EDIT: Just thought I'd add some goals for fitness testing soon come next October, assuming all goes to plan and my return is smooth.
    Vertical jump:
    Single leg hop for distance:
    4 reactive jump:
    20m sprint:
    3 20m shuttle:
    5m turn:
    Bleep test (switched to yoyo but I've never done it): 14.5 equivalent
    Can't remember what else there was, but lifting wise - and I have no clue if this is feasible while losing half a kg a week, but it would be nice:
    Chin ups - 20 reps (much easier with 20kg less bodyweight)
    Front squat - 125kg 1RM (from 115kg)
    Deadlift - 200kg 1RM (from 170-180kg?, best is 200kg) - this will be a push
    Trap bar deadlift - 220kg 1RM (from 210kg?)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCcfc92)
    Body fat: 15-20kg too much
    Goals:
    1. Rehab ACL reconstruction (Sept 10th 2013)
    2. Rehab shoulder impingement/possible SLAP tear
    3. Pursue athletic qualities (strength, speed/power, conditioning)
    4. Get in shape
    5. Get mobile
    6. Return to sport

Plan:
    • 5x4 week phases till return (Jan-June) - lower/upper split with jumps/throws/sprints/conditioning and practice
    • 3x4 ish week phases in-season (June-Sept) - lower/upper/full with 1/2 matches a week and training
    • 2x4 week phases before back training with uni (Sept-Oct) - lower/upper split
    • Lots of mobility/myofascial release/corrective stretching throughout

Lifting stats (post injury, not-op):
    • Front squat 2 rep max - 105kg
    • Deadlift 2 rep max - 180kg
    • Chin ups - 4x6 at 92kg
    • Landmine press - replacing bench for shoulder health and will be used later

Training goals:
    • I have no precise goals with regards to lifting. Strength will not come easy while losing fat. 5/3/1 will be used for lower body (twice a week off-season, once in-season alternating between DL/FS variations).
    • There will be more accessory movements given that I train for athleticism. There will also be lots of other forms of training combined with lifting.

So, I'm currently on a pre post-grad gap year having injured my in knee in June 2013 playing cricket. Had weight issues before that through uni too. Got work to do to get back to my best. I intend to go back as an athletic/aesthetic beast.

I will post training plan ready to start tomorrow!
    Hey, how are you getting on? I just got told I have an ACL injury six months after the accident ... and I have a shoulder problem too ( they first said it was 'frozen' which is weird since it started when I was 19 and it's usually an over 40's problem, then they thought I had a tear and then I had an ultrasound with steroid injection and the radiographer diagnosed chronic bursitis... injection helped regain movement but it's still not great so not sure they've got it right still - haven't started physio for it yet but do home exercises.)

You have actually made my day because you're an athlete. I usually sympathise more with old people with my kind of health problems!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfirekittyx)
    Hey, how are you getting on? I just got told I have an ACL injury six months after the accident ... and I have a shoulder problem too ( they first said it was 'frozen' which is weird since it started when I was 19 and it's usually an over 40's problem, then they thought I had a tear and then I had an ultrasound with steroid injection and the radiographer diagnosed chronic bursitis... injection helped regain movement but it's still not great so not sure they've got it right still - haven't started physio for it yet but do home exercises.)

You have actually made my day because you're an athlete. I usually sympathise more with old people with my kind of health problems!
    Sounds quite similar to me! Do you play sport/how old are you? Are you going to have your ACL reconstructed? I found out a few days after I did it as it was obviously serious and I take sports seriously, so I got the bad news after a scan! Scheduled the op 10 weeks later to get the inflammation down and do some prehab plus the doctor was away from 6 to 8 weeks post-injury in August. I'm 19 weeks post-op now so fingers crossed. Rehab isn't too stressful - just like training with some additional aspects, mainly balance/proprioception. Lots of strength work, jogging progressing to running, sprinting and turning, plus plyometrics. I'm going to post up my routine and other bits this evening ready to start in the next few days for the next 4-5 months. Spent the weekend planning it out to a tee.

In terms of the shoulder, it depends how you injured it. It's usually gradual as well. Mine is probably bursitis with supraspinatus tendonitis, but shoulders are the most complicated joint in the body. Fixing them through exercise is generally mostly same and I can help you with that, with small differences in my case because I'm an overhead athlete and that has caused it 90%, but also things like training imbalances, too much bench pressing and slouching at school/playing video games as every boy does growing up!

Also, being an athlete at 21 having these problems is not ideal I expect to have problems in my 50s onwards, but I should be working hard towards the peak of my career at the moment without two injuries haha!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting blog

Look forward to following your journey.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCcfc92)
    Sounds quite similar to me! Do you play sport/how old are you? Are you going to have your ACL reconstructed? I found out a few days after I did it as it was obviously serious and I take sports seriously, so I got the bad news after a scan! Scheduled the op 10 weeks later to get the inflammation down and do some prehab plus the doctor was away from 6 to 8 weeks post-injury in August. I'm 19 weeks post-op now so fingers crossed. Rehab isn't too stressful - just like training with some additional aspects, mainly balance/proprioception. Lots of strength work, jogging progressing to running, sprinting and turning, plus plyometrics. I'm going to post up my routine and other bits this evening ready to start tomorrow for the next 4-5 months. Spent the weekend planning it out to a tee.

In terms of the shoulder, it depends how you injured it. It's usually gradual as well. Mine is probably bursitis with supraspinatus, but shoulders are the most complicated joint in the body Fixing them through exercise is generally the same and I can help you with that, with small differences in my case because I'm an overhead athlete and that has caused it 90%, but also things like training imbalances, too much bench pressing and slouching at school/playing video games as every boy does growing up!

Also, being an athlete at 21 having these problems is horrible! I expect to have lots of problems in my 50s onwards, but I should be working hard towards the peak of my career at the moment without two bad injuries haha!
    I'm 21 as well! No sport unfortunately, doing pilates now though I got M.E when I was 12... before that I did 8 dance classes a week... I didn't know ballet can be bad for you, I apparently had a knee overuse injury from it (which didn't hurt, it just got picked up whilst I was being examined).

I wanted to taken to A and E at the time, but not being fit enough to drive myself at the time and unfortunetly my parents weren't having their greatest decision making moments it didn't happen... they took me to a minor injury unit three days after the event, they xrayed my knees to check they weren't broken and told me there may be ligament damage but MIU aren't equipped for that so RICE here's some painkillers and go and see GP if it still hurts after the swelling goes down and basically my referal got lost twice... then triaged as non urgent (as they misunderstood it as knee pain resulting from my chronic conditions rather than from an accident) .

I don't know... I'm very confused the physio recommends trying conservative treatment first and quoted a 60 percent success rate... However my dad said my brother's knee surgeon (he got run over by a car ) said that with ACL injuries the NHS 60 percent conservative success rate = 30 percent give up on the NHS and go private and the other 30 percent learn to live with the pain but it doesn't get better without surgery .

I kind of felt like I wasn't a priority because over winter I couldn't really walk much anyway, but I'd worked so hard to build up my strength and it was amazing to be able to walk for 10-15 minutes for me. Where as usually for a young person not being able to walk would be concerning! Which is quite frustrating really since I just looked and the prognosis is better the sooner to the accident that you have the op.

It's good to hear rehab isn't too bad! How was the actual op? / How were you straight after? Did you have to take any pain medication?

Did anything trigger your shoulder problems? I slipped over a wet floor and fell backwards! Again I got an xray at the time to check it wasn't broken but then left for a while. Although it could just be partially genetic, it wasn't that bad a slip, my dad has had several operations on both shoulders now for impingements.

I just had a general steroid injection yesterday and am starting to feel a lot better ad should help for 3 weeks or so to get me through my deadlines But I know it's just a short term fix!

Feel free to private message me btw, as my essays could be taking a lot of space on your blog!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfirekittyx)
    I'm 21 as well! No sport unfortunately, doing pilates now though I got M.E when I was 12... before that I did 8 dance classes a week... I didn't know ballet can be bad for you, I apparently had a knee overuse injury from it (which didn't hurt, it just got picked up whilst I was being examined).

I wanted to taken to A and E at the time, but not being fit enough to drive myself at the time and unfortunetly my parents weren't having their greatest decision making moments it didn't happen... they took me to a minor injury unit three days after the event, they xrayed my knees to check they weren't broken and told me there may be ligament damage but MIU aren't equipped for that so RICE here's some painkillers and go and see GP if it still hurts after the swelling goes down and basically my referal got lost twice... then triaged as non urgent (as they misunderstood it as knee pain resulting from my chronic conditions rather than from an accident) .

I don't know... I'm very confused the physio recommends trying conservative treatment first and quoted a 60 percent success rate... However my dad said my brother's knee surgeon (he got run over by a car ) said that with ACL injuries the NHS 60 percent conservative success rate = 30 percent give up on the NHS and go private and the other 30 percent learn to live with the pain but it doesn't get better without surgery .

I kind of felt like I wasn't a priority because over winter I couldn't really walk much anyway, but I'd worked so hard to build up my strength and it was amazing to be able to walk for 10-15 minutes for me. Where as usually for a young person not being able to walk would be concerning! Which is quite frustrating really since I just looked and the prognosis is better the sooner to the accident that you have the op.

It's good to hear rehab isn't too bad! How was the actual op? / How were you straight after? Did you have to take any pain medication?

Did anything trigger your shoulder problems? I slipped over a wet floor and fell backwards! Again I got an xray at the time to check it wasn't broken but then left for a while. Although it could just be partially genetic, it wasn't that bad a slip, my dad has had several operations on both shoulders now for impingements.

I just had a general steroid injection yesterday and am starting to feel a lot better ad should help for 3 weeks or so to get me through my deadlines But I know it's just a short term fix!

Feel free to private message me btw, as my essays could be taking a lot of space on your blog!
    Just PM'ed you
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weighed myself this morning and I am still 97k (on the dot). The scale said 25.8% body fat but it's probably a few higher with those things, so I am rounding it up to 30% which I think is accurate.

I have eaten loads over the last 12 weeks yet somehow haven't gained any weight. Well over 3000 calories on average. So I'm going to start at around 2700 calories on workout days, where I will be lifting and jogging to begin with, and 2400 calories on off-days where i will usually be walking my dog for an hour or on incline for 30 mins if I have any work experience/other work during the day. Diet will be largely natural foods (meat, fish, veg, fruit, dairy, grains, legumes, nuts, eggs) with glucosamine chondroitin MSM supplementation.

I expect to be spending around 2 hours at the gym including everything, 4 days a week with an extra physio day which won't take long, plus dog/incline walking on off days. I will get cracking with lower a) tomorrow (Weds, no physio this week).

Spoiler:
    Show
    Daily corrective stretching

Internal range of motion 3x2-3 mins of each 3 stretches - cross arm 3x30 secs mobilise, then 1 min hold - sleeper 3x30 secs mobilise then 1 min hold, behind back high band 2 min hold
    Pre-workout, in-workout, post-workout + post-walk - at least once per day -
    Lower - Hip flexors especially left 2 mins, hip internal rotation especially right 1 min, lower back 1 min, calves 1 min
    Upper - Pec (wall), lats (bench mobilisation), neck (3 way) - 1 min each
    Knee - extension push knee up/flexion pull leg up pre-workout/during workout 1 min

Mobility warm ups

Lower -
    Myofascial release - upper quads, IT band, adductors, calves, hip flexor (ball), glutes (ball), feet arch (ball) 30 sec each
    chin tucks 1x10 (4s hold)
    calf wall mobilisation 1x10/side
    cossack squat 1x5 side (4s hold and deep breath)
    side lying windmill 1x10/side
    prone scorpians 1x10/side
    mountain climbers 1x10/side
    fire hydrant circles 1x10/side
    rollover to 'v' sits 1x10/side
    band lateral walks 2x20 yards/side
    band terminal knee extension 2x20/side

Upper -
    Myofascial release - posterior capsule (ball, 2 mins), pecs (ball), lats, thoracic extension, upper back 30 secs+ each
    chin tucks 1x10 (4s hold)
    quadruped rotation 1x10/side
    kneeling reach and raise flexion 1x10/side
    forearm wall slide with shrug 1x10
    shoulder rolls forward and back - 1x30 secs each building from small circles
    LTYW hold 1x15s each
    band Ws 1x15 (1s hold)

Extra shoulder rehab
    A band pull aparts across pole 2x20
    B band face pulls and press across pole 2x20
    C behind the neck pull-aparts 2x20
    D band side internal rotation 2x20/side
    E band side eccentric external rotation 2x10/side
    F open can with band 2x10/side

Weekly routine

Weds - lower a), jog first 2 weeks
    Thurs - upper b), jog all 4 weeks
    Fri - physio every other/own light plyos + treadmill incline walk
    Sat- extra shoulder rehab, dog walk
    Sun - lower a), jog first 2 weeks
    Mon - upper b), jog all 4 weeks, physic every other
    Tues - dog walk/treadmill incline walk

Training

Lower a)
    A1 Box jump 4x5
    A2 Split squat jumps 3x5/side
    B Front squat working up to max set of 5 week 1/3 week 2/1 week 3/deload 4th week
    C1 Split stance Romanian deadlift 4x6
    C2 Ball wall circles forward 130 degrees, side 130 degrees, forward 90 degrees 3x20 secs each clockwise/anticlockwise
    D Single leg hip thrust 3x8
    E Wide-stance anti-rotation chop with rope 3x8/side
    F Leg press single leg calf raise 3x12

Upper a)
    A Chin ups (band assisted) 4x6
    B1 Push up (band/weighted) 4x8
    B2 One arm DB row 3x12/side
    C1 Prone YT 3x12/each
    C2 Hammer curls 2x15
    D Single arm DB suitcase carry - 3x30 yards each
    E Stability ball ab roll out 3xmax
    F1 DB overhead shrug 3x12
    F2 DB prone eccentric external rotation 3x12

Lower b)
    A1 Split squat box jumps 3x5/side
    A2 Lateral split box jumps 3x5/side
    B Conventional deadlift for speed 4x5, 30-40% 1RM, 90s rest
    C DB step up 3x8/side
    D1 Valslide leg curl 3x8-12
    D2 Wall ball taps forward up/side/90 degrees 3x20 secs each clockwise/anti-clockwise
    E Goblet in-place lateral lunge 2x8/side
    F Half kneeling cable chop with rope 3x8/side

Upper b)
    A1 Landmine press 4x6
    A2 DB chest-supported row 4x8
    B1 DB suitcase deadlift 3x6/side
    B2 Prone WT 3x12/each
    C1 Face pull 3x12
    C2 Rope tricep push-down 3x12
    D Valslide bodysaw 3x8-12
    E1 DB protraction 3x12
    E2 DB elbow on bench eccentric external rotation 3x12

Physio
    (Box jumps)
    Split step ups 3x6/side
    Lateral step ups 3x6/side
    Split squat jumps 3x4/side

Return to running - build up pace from 6mph to 7mph upwards (easy run pace, especially on lower body days (6mph))
    1 - 1 min on, 1 min off x10
    2 - harder - 1 min on, 1 min off, 2 mins on, 1 min off, 3 mins on, 1 min off, 4 mins on, 1 min off, 3 mins on, 1 min off, 1 mins on, 1 min off
    3 - 1 min on, 1 min off x12
    4 - harder - 2 mins on, 1 min off, 3 mins on, 1 min off, 4 mins on, 1 min off, 5 mins on, 1 min off, 2 mins on, 1 min off
    5 - 2 min on, 1 min off, 2 min on, 1 min off, 2 mins on, 1 min off, 2mins on, 1 min off, 2mins on, 1 min off, 2 min on, 1 min off, 2 min on, 1 min off
    6 - harder - 2 mins on, 1 min off, 3 mins on, 1 min off, 4 mins on, 1 min off, 5 mins on, 1 min off, 4 mins on, 1 min off
    7 - 1 min on, 1 min off, 2 mins on, 1 min off, 3mins on, 1min off, 3mins on, 1min off, 3mins on, 1 min off
    8 - harder - 3 mins on, 1 min off, 4 mins on, 1 min off, 5 mins on, 1 min off, 5 mins on, 1 min off, 3 mins on, 1 min off
    9 - 7 min run, 1 min walk x3
    10 - 8 min run, 1 min walk x3
    11 - 10 min run, 2 min walk, 10 min run
    12 - 20 min
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Diet:
    2 bananas, nuts/seed bar, bread and almond butter - 600
    Chicken curry, salmon fillet, rice, salad - 900
    Popcorn - 350
    6 small lamb chops, quinoa, cauliflower - 700
    Eat Natural dark chocolate, cranberry and macadamia bar - 150

Exercise:
    1 hour/3 mile dog walk around the block in the evening - 300
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Diet:
    9bar nutty, big banana - 400
    3 egg omelette with veg and olive oil, Greek yoghurt - 650
    Yoghurt, muesli, nuts, honey - 350
    Lamb mince, cauliflower, courgettes, chickpea salad, side salad - 1200
    Green tea and glucosamine chondroitin MSM x2

Exercise:

Corrective stretching, self-myofascial release, mobility warm up

Lower a)

A Box jump 4x5 (did after Squats and RDLs as I forgot! Also, the plyometric boxes at the gym are fairly narrow :s.
    B Front squat - working up to max set of 5 - 60kg, 70kg, 80kg, 90kg
    C Split stance Romanian deadlift 4x6 - 60kg - better than bilateral RDL but still works my spinal erectors/lower back too much for my liking. Will keep this in for 4 weeks and then change to band good mornings/reverse hypers
    D1 Single leg hip thrust 3x8 - 10kg 10/10/12 - will add a 1 second isometric at the top of each rep next time
    D2 Ball to wall shoulder stabilisation circles forward 130 degrees, side 130 degrees, forward 90 degrees 3x20 secs each clockwise/anticlockwise
    E Wide-stance anti-rotation chop with rope 3x8/side - 18kg (I think - 2nd or 3rd option on cable pulley)
    F Leg press single leg calf raise 3x12 - 60kg

Post-ACL reconstruction, the only noticeable strength deficit seems to be with knee flexion, but also my calf used to be weak/inhibited, but it is slowly getting better strength wise at least. Flexion isn't full there, but it's at 80-90%. We'll see if that comes back. Extension is probably 1 degree off or it just doesn't feel right at extension because the hamstrings twinges. I'd say more of the problem is from the hamstrirng graft site as opposed to the knee in terms of how it feels.

Shoulder rehab - pull-apart and face pulls were too heavy on the load. Hopefully the upper back is still fresh for tomorrow, but I will lower the load onto a lighter band (ie not jumpstretch, but one of those clini-bands), rotator cuff stuff was not too intense.
    EDIT: I'm going to move this little 10 minute routine to Saturday, where I can just do it at home.

Jogging - level 1 as listed + 10 mins incline walking 5kph 5% incline - felt a couple of twinges on the first minute of jogging but it cleared up as it warmed up. That is only my second jog. The first was on Christmas Eve so it's time to kick on.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is what I have planned for the rest of the year. I've planned quite a lot, but I just wanted to put it on here. It's subject to change later on. The upper body workouts will stay quite similar throughout, with chins ups/landmine presses changing to 5 sets of 3 at month 4, some extra push ups, valslide bodysaws changing to dragon flags as a core exercise by month 4, ab roll outs changing to valslides/weighted resisted valslides/weighted barbell in that order every month or 2.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Phase 2 - 24 weeks post-sugery - March mainly
    Tues - lower, extra shoulder rehab, incline walk
    Weds - dog walk/incline walk
    Thurs - upper, treadmill extensive tempos, physio/own physio
    Fri - dog walk/incline walk
    Sat - lower, incline walk
    Sun - upper, treadmill longer conditioning intervals
    mon - dog walk

lower a)
    A single leg box jump
    B bulgarian split squat 4x6
    C body curl 3x8-12
    D band good morning 3x12-15
    E side lying banded clams 2x10-15/side

lower b)
    A broad jump
    B deadlift 5/3/1, max/max/1rm
    C single leg squat off box 3x8
    D valslide curl 3x12
    E standing abduction with external rotation 2x10-15/side

physio
    various jumps, light speed/agility?

Phase 3 - 28 weeks post-surgery April mainly
    Tues - jump + 2 med ball throws, lower, limited practice (club training starts)
    Weds - upper, extensive tempos
    thurs - dog walk
    Fri - jumps + 2 med ball throws, light speed/agility, extra shoulder rehab
    Sat - lower
    Sun - 2 med ball throws, upper, conditioning
    Mon - dog walk

I will also start practice throwing with my left arm 5 days a week this and the month after.

lower a)
    jump variation
    front squat 5/3/1
    single leg valslide bodycurls 4x8-12
    single leg hip thrust 4x6

lower b)
    jump variation
    single leg rdl 4x6
    front loaded reverse lunge 3x8
    lateral lunge to crossover lunge 3x6

physio -
    speed/agility/plyometrics

Phase 4 - 32 weeks post-surgery - May
    tues - speed/plyos + med ball throws, training
    weds - lower
    thurs - upper, conditioning, training
    fri - off
    sat - speed/plyos + med ball throws, training
    sun - lower
    mon - upper

Progress training slowly
    Continue left arm throws
    Speed/agility/plyometrics and conditioning saved for Tues/Thurs/Sat where I will be training at my club ground anyway so I have access to grass.

lower a)
    forward lunges 4x6
    single leg valslide curl 3x12
    band reverse hyper 3x12-15
    side lying banded clams 2x10-15/side

lower b)
    deadlift 5/3/1
    single leg body curl 3x12
    walking lunges 3x8
    standing abduction with external rotation 2x10-15/side

Phase 5 - 36 weeks post-surgery - June
    tues - med ball throws, speed/plyos, training
    weds - lower
    thurs - upper, training, conditioning
    fri - off
    sat - med ball throws, speed/plyos, possibly start playing matches but only batting
    sun - throws/jumps instead of day before possibly, lower
    mon - upper

Progress training again
    Progress left handed throws to lower frequency, higher intensity

speed/plyos, med ball throws
    tbc

lower a)
    front squat 5/3/1
    split stance trap bar rdl 4x6
    hip thrust 4x6

lower b)
    step up 4x6
    single leg valslide curl 3x8-12
    diagonal 45/135 degree lunges 3x6/each

Phase 6 - 40 weeks post-surgery - June/July

tues - med ball throws, speed/plyos, training
    weds - lower
    thurs - upper, training, conditioning
    fri - off
    sat - match
    sun - med ball throws/jumps, lower
    mon - upper

training - bat/light bowl progression/field
    left hand throws - mon/weds/fri 20 minutes velocity/length/repetition

lower b)
    deadlift 5/3/1
    single leg squat 3x8
    single leg body curl 3x12

lower a)
    reverse lunge 4x6
    landmine RDL 4x6
    goblet lateral lunge off deficit 3x8/side

Phase 7 - July/August - in-season mode
    sat - match
    sun - full or match and full to mon with med balls/speed/agility split between before both full body weights
    mon -
    tues - med ball throws, speed/agility
    weds - full
    thurs - training, conditioning

full a)
    jump
    A1 landline press 5x3
    A2 front box squat (plyo box or plates/airex pad) 5/3/1
    B1 tb split stance RDL 4x6
    B2 row 3x12
    B3 lateral walk mixed carry 3x30 secs/side
    C1 glute ham raise 3x12
    C2 upper back
    C3 anterior core

med ball throws, speed/agility
    tbc

full b)
    A1 forward lunge 4x6
    A2 chin ups 5x3
    B1 hip thrust 4x6
    B2 push up 3x12
    C1 YTW
    C2 rotary core
    D anterior core

Phase 8 - August/September
    full a)
    A1 landmine press 5x3
    A2 bulgarian split squat 4x6
    B1 row 3x12
    B2 sliding leg curl 3x12
    C1 YTW
    C2 rotary core
    D anterior core

full b)
    A1 trap bar deadlift 5/3/1
    A2 push up 3x12
    B1 chin ups 5x3
    B2 landmine RDL 3x8
    B3 lateral walk 3x30 secs/side
    C1 single leg squat 3x12
    C2 upper back
    C3 anterior core

Phase 9/10 (Post-season/pre-winter training) - back to 3-4 day weight training with conditioning emphasis before testing.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just completed the reply but the box was the reply had timed out and didn't autosave correctly so I'm doing it again. Nightmare!

Weight: 96.3kg
    Sleep
    - 8-10 hours for last 3 nights

Diet:
    Triple peanut butter banana sandwich - 3 small wholewheat toast, 3 dabs of peanut butter, 1 big banana - 700
    Apple, banana - 150
    Dal (100g ish), pureed spinach (100g ish), chickpea curry (100g ish), 400g chicken/pepper curry, 2 chapattis, salad - 1200
    Might have something extra before bed so I don't feel knackered when I wake up as I've not eaten much.
    Edit: + Eatnatural dark chocolate/macadamia/cranberry bar 150 + 3 small lamb chops 250
    Green tea + 2x G/C/MSM

Activity:
    Corrective stretch, self-myofascial release, warm up

Upper a)
    A Chin ups (band assisted) 4x6 - blue band x 6/6 + green band x 6/4 - the bands aren't quite long enough I think and I felt my lower biceps a lot on both arms - I hope there is/there should be a good training effect even so and I plan to move to bodyweight by phase 3 then weighted 5x3 by phase 4
    B1 Push up (band+weighted) 4x8 - 15kg x 8/8/6 + 10kg x 8 - next time I'll do light banded, probably purple, with 10kg I think
    B2 One arm DB row 3x12/side - 28kg x 8/8, 26kg x6 - very strict form unlike lots I see do these - might as well move to 3 sets of 8 as I picked a heavier than expected weight and that's a lot of volume with the chins too for back
    C Single arm DB suitcase carry 3x30 secs each - 3x30 yards 30kg
    - did after D1 + D2 at the back of the gym behind treadmills for 2 lengths - felt good as an lateral anti-flexion exercise
    D1 Prone YT 3x12 - 2.5kg plates x 12/8, 12/6, 12/5 - Ts were a struggle, possibly due to the pull-aparts etc yesterday which have been moved to Saturdays only now
    D2 Hammer curls (alternate) 3x12 - 14kg x 8/6, 10kg x 6
    - bro weights need work (not bothered) - never really focussed on them before, also tired from chins/rows
    E Stability ball ab roll out 3xmax - 12/12/12 - last set on slightly bigger ball to see what it was like
    F1 DB overhead shrug 3x12 - 10kg 8/8/8 - will lighten up next time
    F2 DB elbow-on-knee eccentric external rotation 3x15 - right arm 6kg x 8/8 + 4kg x 8, left arm 6kg x 6/6 + 4kg x 6
    - I went to 8 reps on the left arm with assistance but it is clearly weaker - down to 4kg next time

Running - level 2 at 10kph/5kph with extra rests (90-120 secs x3 instead of 60 secs) in between longer bouts - felt pain-free, but unfit. My bleep test personal best is about 14 (13.9 I think, disputed 14 but can't remember) but I wouldn't get anywhere near at the moment. My training background will help and so will the weight loss.

Good session overall. Better to go at less busy times ie in the day as opposed to evening, but parking costs a quid an hour on top of gym membership before 6 Mon-Sat and 4:30 on Sun which is a bit ridiculous.

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sleep: 8-9 hours

Diet:
    Banana - 100
    Tuna bean/chickpeas/corn salad + Thai salad with cashews and dressing - 800
    Coconut/macademia bounce ball - 150
    Leftover chicken curry (350g), leftover lamb mince with green bell peppers (150g), small salad (lettuce, onions), coconut Greek yoghurt - 1200
    Flapjack - 200

Exercise:
    1 hour dog walk in the park - 300

Notes:
    Sore as hell all over from the last 2 days of training and a bit tired just as expected from restarting training.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sleep: 8-9 hours

Diet:
    3 egg omelette with veg, coconut yoghurt, almond butter banana sandwich 1250
    Tuna bean/chickpeas/corn salad 400
    2 chicken breasts, 1 chicken leg, 500g cauliflower/broccoli/peas - 750
    Peanut butter - 100

Exercise:
    45 min treadmill walk 5kph 8% incline - 400
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    In. Good luck with the rehab stuff. i love walking my doge too, the only cardio i get these days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFi_F7N2asc
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    In. Good luck with the rehab stuff. i love walking my doge too, the only cardio i get these days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFi_F7N2asc
    Haha. Cheers boss. My dog just wants food, sleep and tennis balls with a long walk a day. Loves a bark too at any noise coming from near outside the house.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sleep: 7-8 hours

Diet:
    250g honey greek yoghurt, 50g almond/peanut butter, 30g muesli, banana, 150g blueberries - 950
    Apple - 50
    300g chicken skewers, 200g lamb dish, 300g rice, cauliflower, broccoli, salad (lettuce, onion, cucumber, avocado) - 1600 (big meal!)
    P.S. sort of doing an intermittent fasting type thing here, but not being strict with my eating patterns and I'll worry more about total intake, which is more important.
    1x green tea + 2x G/C/MSM

Exercise:
    Mobility

Lower b)
    A1 Split box jumps 3x5/side - still a bit tentative lowering right leg on both
    A2 Lateral split box jumps 3x5/side
    B DB step up 3x8/side - r+l leg 20kgs x8 (too heavy), 18kgs 1x8, 1x10 - used box and a plate but took the plate off as it was too high - plenty of glute
    C Conventional deadlift for speed 4x5, 30-40% 1RM, 90s rest - 70kg
    D1 Single leg stability ball leg curl 3x8-12 - 10/12/12 (with some valslide curls before) -
    my right hamstring kept cramping up with the valslides as it is my ACL graft site (I had my hamstring tendons put in my knee) so I moved back to the ball - hopefully it's just weakness. Will add an extra set next time.
    D2 Wall ball taps forward up/side/90 degrees 3x20 secs each clockwise/anti-clockwise - 4kg ish ball
    E Goblet in-place lateral lunge 2x8/side - 10kg
    F Half kneeling cable chop with rope 3x8/side - 2x8 18kg, 1x8 24kg

Jogging - 3, 10.5kph x6, 10kph x6, 5 mins 7% incline 5kph - jogging is fairly comfortable now after the first minute - now just need to build the endurance up so I can actually run quicker for a period of time, then work on conditioning 1-2x a week

500-600 burned roughly

Notes:
    Okay session, could be better but will be next time. I need more knee flexion work and I have got them twice a week in the next phase. I will just add an extra set of stability ball curls for now and take things into account for the next phase.

Just to add, I've been stretching my shoulder internally at home a few times a day with a mixture of the stretches listed.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Editted both lower body workouts - looks a lot better with some of the movements. Upper body stuff looks good.

Also, I will eat more on the lower body days (around 2700) and try to keep the other days lower (under 2500), then reassess after a week or so. Hopefully all the glycogen/water weight is gone.

• Front-loading (barbell) the step ups to avoid leaning forward.
    • Sliding RDLs seem more comfortable as a stationery non-working leg gets in the way.
    • Extra knee flexion exercise

Spoiler:
    Show
    Lower a)
    A1 Box jump - 4x5
    A2 Split squat jumps - 3x5/side (added)
    B Front squat working up to max set of 5 week 1/3 week 2/1 week 3/deload 4th week
    C1 Valslide single leg Romanian deadlifts - 3x6-8 (changed)
    C2 Wall ball taps forward up/side/90 degrees - 3x30 secs each
    D1 Single leg hamstring curl 3x8-12 (added as extra knee flexion work)
    D2 Ball wall med ball circles at different angles, clockwise/anticlockwise (more externally) - 3x30 secs side
    E1 Wide-stance anti-rotation chop with rope - 3x8/side
    E2 Goblet in-place lateral lunge - 2x8/side

Lower b)
    A1 Split squat box jumps - 3x5/side
    A2 Lateral split box jumps - 3x5/side
    B Conventional deadlift for speed 4x5, 30-40% 1RM, 90s rest
    C Front-loaded step up 3x8-12/side - 30kg start
    D1 Single leg stability ball leg curl - 3x8-12
    D2 Wall med ball taps - 3x30 secs
    E1 Single leg hip thrusts 3x12
    E2 Wall med ball circles 3x30 secs
    F1 Half kneeling cable chop with rope - 3x8/side
    G Leg press single leg calf raise - 3x12
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sleep: 8 hours

Diet:
    3 egg omelette with veg, Greek yoghurt, banana 700
    250g rice with a bit of chicken, side salad with avocado, apple, coconut water 700
    400g chicken dish (peppers, onions), 2 small lamb chops, cabbage, side salad, Greek yoghurt 1300
    2x green tea, 2x g/c/msm

Exercise:
    Mobility

Upper b)
    A1 Landmine press 4x6/side - 20kg+bar 1x6, 25kg+bar 3x6
    A2 DB chest-supported row 4x8 - 26kg
    - pushing it on last set but couldn't get 24s
    B1 Face pull 3x12 - 45kg 1x15, 50kg 2x12
    B2 Rope tricep push-down 3x12 - 35kg 1x15, 40kg 2x12

C1 DB suitcase deadlift 3x8/side - 34kg
    C2 Prone TW 3x12/each - 2.5kg plates
    - felt much better than last time
    D Valslide bodysaw 3x8-12 - 3x8, limited R.O.M.
    - first time doing them, fantastic exercise
    E1 DB protraction 3x12 - 20kgs 3x15
    E2 DB elbow on bench eccentric external rotation 3x12 - 6kgx8/5kg platex8/4kgx12

Jogging - 4 on list above with 2 min walking rests between (1/4/4/5/2 mins, 1% incline) + 15 min 7% 5kph + 40 min 5kph 1% incline (watching football)

Lots of shoulder + hip stretching at night

800+ burned

Good session
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weight: 96.1kg
    Sleep:
    7-8 hours

Diet:
    Apple - 50
    300g honey yoghurt, banana, blueberries, 40g muesli, bit of flaxseed - 950
    175g beef, veg (green beans, mushrooms, courgettes, cheese, olive oil) - 600
    250g chicken, salad with avocado - 700
    Honey yoghurt - 150
    Green tea, 2x g/c/msm

Exercise:
    1 hour dog walk in park
    Hip and shoulder stretching - 2 bouts
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sleep: 5 hours

Diet:
    Banana, apple - 150
    Beef sandwich, cocoa Nakd bar, cashew cookie Nakd bar - 650
    2 small fried chicken breast fillets, salad - 550
    Chocolate chip cliff bar, pineapple coconut water, cashews - 350
    300g chicken and veg stirfry, spicy potatos/cabbage, quinoa, lentils - 900
    (thought the potatoes were cauliflower lol, but no big deal calories wise)
    1x g/c/msm

Exercise:
    20 min walk to shop from work
    Mobility

Lower 2a) -
    A Front squat - max set of 3 - 60kgx5, 70kgx3, 80kgx3, 90kgx3, 95kgx3, 100kgx3 - quite pleased to be fair given that I'm 5 months out of ACL surgery
    B1 Box jump - 4x5
    - felt good
    B2 Split squat jumps - 3x4/side
    - little bit tentative when right leg is behind, but was alright
    A3 Wall ball taps 3x30 secs/side
    C Valside single leg RDLs - 50kg 2x6, 1x8
    - difficult movement and still felt my lower back but more glutes too - going to stick to hip thrusts, band good mornings and some reverse hypers for most months
    D1 Single leg stability ball hamstring curl 3x10/12/12 + double leg with right leg emphasis 1x12
    - right leg still struggles to extend fully, obviously needs lots of work over the next 5-6 months
    D2 Wall ball circles 3x30 secs/side
    E1 Wide-stance anti-rotation chop with rope - 3x8/side - 30kg
    , can't actually remember whether it was 24 or 30kg but it was good and I can go by feel next time
    E2 Goblet in-place lateral lunge - 14kg 2x6/side
    Running - 5 - 11kphx1 2 mins, 10kphx6 2 mins (realised I should probably take it easy!) + 7 mins 7% incline 5kph

Shoulder stretching - band AM quickly, cross arm here and there, in between squats with band + properly all with hip flexor at night

800 burned

Notes:
    Needed to go into work with my dad's company, so went to bed early but woke up and didn't sleep properly. Shut my brain off to go to the gym though and it was a good session, but I was in there for 2 1/2 hours due to the jumps, long rests between front squats, walking around and relatively high volume! I'm going to make use of the week and no physio again this week as I can't fit it in to move upper 2a) to Friday with extra shoulder stuff (day after tomorrow), then go lower/upper Sun/Mon. Running feels fine so probably best that I leave out the sessions after lower body days and just walk on incline to spare me some gains! I may or may not on Sun, but i didn't plan to next week as the runs start to get hard. Next month I will only do conditioning type intervals twice a week, then once a week after that month.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 24, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.