The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Back in it today. Ouch. Managed a 40kg squat(deep) 1x2 OUCHIES.PB after three weeks. Yeah!:yeah:
Tried deadlifts and got about 1x5 50kg but my legs were caving despite the weight feeling alright. Will be having a deadlift focused day on Friday. :smile:
Am aiming to go to the gym every day but obviously only 3-4 days will be lifting(every other day). Good bye ever watching TV again lol!
Nice lifting going on! Good to see!!
Noobie here :smile:
I haven't actually joined the gym yet :colondollar: But that's because there's a prize draw to get free membership for a year and I'm hoping I'll get lucky :wink:
So once I do join, wondering if any veterans can give me any tips?
Also (noobiness shines through here, folks!) my granddad died recently and we've ended up with his old excercise bike, so I was wondering how good cycling machines are for building up leg muscle? Or are they really just for cardio?
thankies :smile:
Original post by Mm_Minty
Noobie here :smile:
I haven't actually joined the gym yet :colondollar: But that's because there's a prize draw to get free membership for a year and I'm hoping I'll get lucky :wink:
So once I do join, wondering if any veterans can give me any tips?
Also (noobiness shines through here, folks!) my granddad died recently and we've ended up with his old excercise bike, so I was wondering how good cycling machines are for building up leg muscle? Or are they really just for cardio?
thankies :smile:

They are for cardio more than anything.

What are you goals/aims etc and what are your current activities like?

I did a routine some time back for a lass who did not have access to a gym and it seemed to work.
Original post by MattGriff
They are for cardio more than anything.

What are you goals/aims etc and what are your current activities like?

I did a routine some time back for a lass who did not have access to a gym and it seemed to work.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

I don't really have any specific goals or aims such as "I want to deadlift 90kg" because atm it's all just jargon to me :colondollar: I just have a general goal of wanting to be all round stronger than I am now.

And as I said, I'm both a newbie and don't have my gym membership yet so I basically do nowt :colondollar: wow, not outting myself in a positive light here, I'm probably going to be kicked out of the group later haha.

what kind of routine was it? :s-smilie:
Original post by Mm_Minty
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

I don't really have any specific goals or aims such as "I want to deadlift 90kg" because atm it's all just jargon to me :colondollar: I just have a general goal of wanting to be all round stronger than I am now.

And as I said, I'm both a newbie and don't have my gym membership yet so I basically do nowt :colondollar: wow, not outting myself in a positive light here, I'm probably going to be kicked out of the group later haha.

what kind of routine was it? :s-smilie:

Ok thanks for the honesty.

It was a routine based upon not having anything really the girl in question was going travelling in some developing areas so not likely to have a gym so I did something for her which is better than nothing sort of thing along with a diet plan

PM me if you want something similar, I need a few details from you to do it effectivley
Reply 186
Just bought myself some weightlifting shoes - I can't really afford them, to be honest, but with some severe budgeting until my next piece of loan comes in hopefully they'll end up being a good investment for me :smile:
Hello,

Just checking in as the way societies (now called social groups) work has changed since the update. You guys have a leader but no deputies - does anyone want to volunteer?

Also, check out your new group page! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=969
Reply 188
Original post by Sorani
Just bought myself some weightlifting shoes - I can't really afford them, to be honest, but with some severe budgeting until my next piece of loan comes in hopefully they'll end up being a good investment for me :smile:

Nice. Which ones did you go for?

You could call this the Barbelle Society: Girls Who Lift. :biggrin:
Reply 189
wooo! I might get my mum to bring my converses here on tuesday, heard they're good for weight lifting. :smile:
Why does cardio have to be SO **** boring compared to weight lifting? I just want to lift heavy weights every day:p:
Hiit isn't too bad.
Reply 191
Yeah I was gonna say I suppose it's pretty cool :bigsmile:
Reply 192
Original post by SMed
Nice. Which ones did you go for?

You could call this the Barbelle Society: Girls Who Lift. :biggrin:

I like that, or The Barbelles Society: Girls Who Lift, just for the sake of pluralising :tongue:

I got the Adidas Power Perfect II:

Reply 193
Original post by Sorani
I like that, or The Barbelles Society: Girls Who Lift, just for the sake of pluralising :tongue:

I got the Adidas Power Perfect II:

My bf has those, but not in red :cool:
Reply 194
Original post by Becca
My bf has those, but not in red :cool:

What colour did he get them in? Please don't say blue, because I thought 'wow these are nice, although they'd be so much better blue'.
Reply 195
It doesn't look like there can be much discussion with such restrictive rules. It's basically a bragging thread.

Two Golden Rules:
1. Don't contradict the OP
2. Don't tell us anything we don't want to hear.
Reply 196
Original post by MrMonster
It doesn't look like there can be much discussion with such restrictive rules. It's basically a bragging thread.

Two Golden Rules:
1. Don't contradict the OP
2. Don't tell us anything we don't want to hear.

It was literally one page ago that one of our members was getting advice from one of the male, non-society, members of the forum. If you're going to be so oddly bitter about a single thread on the internet, at least read it first.
Original post by Sorani
What colour did he get them in? Please don't say blue, because I thought 'wow these are nice, although they'd be so much better blue'.

I've got these:

:awesome:
Reply 198
Are those this years Do-Wins?
Reply 199
Original post by sleekchic
I've got these:

:awesome:

I hate you :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest