The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
it wasnt on a bench, i did the bench on tuesday i managed 30kg for 10 fine by myself, hell i even did 32.5kg for 10 by myself

how i hurt myself was with the clean and press/military press

Tbh as a beginner to free weights you shouldn't be trying cleaning without a proper coach. I tried it for a few weeks after 6 months of constant weightlifting and even then my technique was terrible/dangerous...

Military press is easy though.
Original post by MHorman
Tbh as a beginner to free weights you shouldn't be trying cleaning without a proper coach. I tried it for a few weeks after 6 months of constant weightlifting and even then my technique was terrible/dangerous...

Military press is easy though.

how do i do military without cleaning first?
You rack it on something similar to this:

You can also use this with squats.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
You rack it on something similar to this:

You can also use this with squats.

oh right, havnt got one of those so i guess will have to stick with clean and press
oh right, havnt got one of those so i guess will have to stick with clean and press

Sell some machines (like the squat machine).

Buy this.

Alternatively, join a gym which has all this equipment in.

Or just get something fairly solid to rest the bar on at that height then grab it.

Cleaning is a difficult technical lift and a coplete weighlifting beginner trying it will injure themselves/Already did injure themself.

And if you come back with more excuses then get the OH to just pass you the bar as you won't be military pressing much and it'll be an amount he can pick up to shoulder height easily.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Sell some machines (like the squat machine).

Buy this.

Alternatively, join a gym which has all this equipment in.

the machine is not mine, so its not up to me to sell it and he couldnt sell the squat machine without selling the whole thing

how long do you think that will pay for the pair of us to join a gym, that money wouldnt last forever
how do i do military without cleaning first?

Are you using a rack?
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Are you using a rack?

no, just a barbell picked from the floor, dont have a rack
no, just a barbell picked from the floor, dont have a rack

I agree with MHorman, if youwork out with your OH - I'm pretty sure you said he helps you/ watches etc - then he could just pass it you to save the clean. I wouldn't bother cleaning without really knowing what you're doing.
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
I agree with MHorman, if youwork out with your OH - I'm pretty sure you said he helps you/ watches etc - then he could just pass it you to save the clean. I wouldn't bother cleaning without really knowing what you're doing.

the thing is, ive looked at vids of people doing it and so has OH (hes also done it in a gym with trainers) so i know im doing it properly

maybe i just went too heavy with it being my first time, ive got a week till my next shoulder day so i'll try lighter then, if that doesnt work then i guess i'll just have to get the OH to pass it, shame cause i heard the clean burns a lot of cals and it gets my legs into it too

thanks for the help anyway
the thing is, ive looked at vids of people doing it and so has OH (hes also done it in a gym with trainers) so i know im doing it properly

maybe i just went too heavy with it being my first time, ive got a week till my next shoulder day so i'll try lighter then, if that doesnt work then i guess i'll just have to get the OH to pass it, shame cause i heard the clean burns a lot of cals and it gets my legs into it too

thanks for the help anyway

30kg is a lot to clean and military press. I too have looked at loads of vids of the clean, have two experienced olympic lifters (one who has been Norwegian champ and been on the national team) and I still don't do it right. I almost guarantee you're not doing the clean correctly. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you won't get injured if you're doing it right. If you post a vid of you doing it then we'll be able to give you constructive criticism and help you.

Some common errors in the clean are:

Your bum is too high in the start position.
Your bum comes up too fast before you raise the bar
The bar is too far forwards in its movement path because you move it round your knees/you're not keeping your chest up
Using arms too soon/doing basically the entire lift with your arms.
You do the hip thrust forwards not upwards to get triple extension
You collapse your chest and elbows at the end of the clean so the bar rolls off the rack position

I'd definitely re-analyse what you're doing and see if you're doing one or many of those then do corrective exercises to sort it out. Some are to do with flexibility, some to do with technique...
Original post by Becca
30kg is a lot to clean and military press. I too have looked at loads of vids of the clean, have two experienced olympic lifters (one who has been Norwegian champ and been on the national team) and I still don't do it right. I almost guarantee you're not doing the clean correctly. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you won't get injured if you're doing it right. If you post a vid of you doing it then we'll be able to give you constructive criticism and help you.

Some common errors in the clean are:

Your bum is too high in the start position.
Your bum comes up too fast before you raise the bar
The bar is too far forwards in its movement path because you move it round your knees/you're not keeping your chest up
Using arms too soon/doing basically the entire lift with your arms.
You do the hip thrust forwards not upwards to get triple extension
You collapse your chest and elbows at the end of the clean so the bar rolls off the rack position

I'd definitely re-analyse what you're doing and see if you're doing one or many of those then do corrective exercises to sort it out. Some are to do with flexibility, some to do with technique...

thanks

how much do you do on the clean and press?
Well it's not exactly an O-lift anymore but I think the relevant thing is that you need to learn to catch properly or your elbows/wrists/shoulders are probably going to have problems sooner or later. That seems to be the experience for a lot of people who don't learn to clean properly. Pressing is comparatively safe...
Original post by The Blind Monk
Well it's not exactly an O-lift anymore but I think the relevant thing is that you need to learn to catch properly or your elbows/wrists/shoulders are probably going to have problems sooner or later. That seems to be the experience for a lot of people who don't learn to clean properly. Pressing is comparatively safe...

thank you

i may take a vid next time i do it
thanks

how much do you do on the clean and press?

I don't do clean and press, I do clean and jerk and my PR is 50kg.
Original post by Becca
I don't do clean and press, I do clean and jerk and my PR is 50kg.

excuse my ignorance but whats the difference?
excuse my ignorance but whats the difference?

Press:

Jerk:

As you can see, in the jerk all the power comes from the legs, you are not allowed to use your arms to lock the bar out at all. The press is nearly all arms/shoulders, especially when it's military rather than push.

The world weightlifting champs started today with the women's 48kg class, was anyone watching it? The Chinese lifter who is junior world champion won the combined total by 20kg...I had an offer of tickets to go and watch some of the events but couldn't go due to work :frown:
Original post by Becca
Press:

Jerk:

As you can see, in the jerk all the power comes from the legs, you are not allowed to use your arms to lock the bar out at all. The press is nearly all arms/shoulders, especially when it's military rather than push.

The world weightlifting champs started today with the women's 48kg class, was anyone watching it? The Chinese lifter who is junior world champion won the combined total by 20kg...I had an offer of tickets to go and watch some of the events but couldn't go due to work :frown:

thanks for showing me the difference
Jesus I have seen some of the quotes on here - there is not a cats in hell chance than Tinks other half and especially she is doing it correctly - most personal trainers do not know how to do it properly, only those with a background and or interest in strongman and/or weightlifting will have a clue.

Quick Reply

Latest