Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael XYZ)
    Also, have you girls found that the guys you have been with have preferred some muscle or not?

Was talking to a few friends about this and most were like "**** no!" but I'm sure that's because I train and they don't so there's that attraction to someone who works hard. I don't think very lean and muscley is a good look but some is nice. Most seemed to disagree though.
    Problem is that with celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Beyonce most people out there seem to think that the ideal woman should be 'curvy' which is reinforced by the media and it seems to be a big trend in the last few years. If a woman is athletic, has a boyish figure, very slim e.t.c then they are not seen as a real woman.

This is made worst by the fact that about 56% of women and 68% of men in the UK are overweight or obese (I know that BMI is not completely accurate but still...) so being 'slim' is in the minority not to talk about being slim and having an athletic body. Also when a person is fit and lean people then start thinking that they are obsessive about their bodies, exercise and their diet (which is annoying as most people spend more time watching TV in a day than someone who goes to the gym 3-4 times a week)

Then as well there is this traditional stereotype that a woman should be weak and a man should be strong and any woman who is slightly strong is seen as a big no no. Plus I think men get jealous of a woman who is in great shape and can achieve a body that they cannot achieve (even if they look no where as bulky as a guy)

I know this is sort of true as when I read articles on celebrities who are very athletic e.g Jodie Marsh and Cameron Diaz (click and scroll down to see the comments made about her body) if you look at the comments that people make most of it is is along the line that a woman should be curvy, they look too manly e.t.c Which is hence why most women don't lift at all.

I know that by me trying to achieve the athlete/figure model look that it would put off a lot of guys and I would get a lot of negativity from people. However I do it to make me feel better about my body even if people call me bulky.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I think 'curvy' is a great look. Which is why I think some female powerlifters at lower bodyweights can be incredibly hawt. Some decent BF% and squat booty = win.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that Cameron Diaz article :indiff: It's not like people can change their natural hips:waist ratio.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Wow, that Cameron Diaz article :indiff: It's not like people can change their natural hips:waist ratio.
    I know that's what I thought and that is why I have a problem with the whole 'curvy' thing. Not all women are naturally curvy and if your not curvy then your not a woman. Cameron Diaz naturally has a naturally bigger waist and there is nothing she can do about and I don't understand why her waist is such a big issue to people
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I think 'curvy' is a great look. Which is why I think some female powerlifters at lower bodyweights can be incredibly hawt. Some decent BF% and squat booty = win.
    pics now
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    I just had to say, holy **** she looks absolutely amazing. :eek:

I wish more women lifted weights if that's the result!

Good luck girls.

(sorry if this seems pervy )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I just had to say, holy **** she looks absolutely amazing. :eek:

I wish more women lifted weights if that's the result!

Good luck girls.

(sorry if this seems pervy )
    I've posted this video of her failing at a crossfit workout before, but I find it still amusing, so:

She does look good (though not my ideal body), but it's more because of having low body fat, than having that much muscle (she doesn't exactly seem very strong or athletic for that matter).

The problem is most women are after body types, that are 90% down to genetics (body shape - bones, height, where your body tends to store fat), and that no amount of dieting or working out can achieve. For example Cameron Diaz could never get Kelly Brooks's body, at least without major plastic surgery (and I don't mean just boobs). In the same way, you can't become petite even with starving yourself, if you've got big bones.
    ---And most women don't seem to get that. Yes, it's good to have aesthetic goals, but people should focus more on being the best version of themselves they can be, as corny as that sounds, instead of trying to achieve the unattainable.
    To roughly quote the ever wise WildGorillaMan; if you're build like a greyhound, then run like a greyhound, and if you're built like a ****ing gorilla, then be a gorilla and go ape****!

Also kinda related, now that everyone is wearing summer clothes, I've been seeing so many superskinny people. And I don't mean people with perfectly tanned slim legs that I'm jealous of, but girls with thighs thinner than my arm (seriously no joke, I don't know how the hell they are even able to walk)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible but worse is seeing a guy next to that girl with the very thin legs who has EVEN thinner legs.

I don't even know how such a thing happens.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible but worse is seeing a guy next to that girl with the very thin legs who has EVEN thinner legs.

I don't even know how such a thing happens.
    PRSOM!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree with aivi and think that there are far too many girls who want to look like Kim Kardashian even though they simply do not have the structure to look even close to that. Her hip width is like 1 in 1000; no amounts of training and dieting will get your average white girl a body anything like that, and to be honest I'm not interested in that look at all either.

It's also genuinely tragic when you see guys with skinnier legs than girls...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I definitely agree with aivi and think that there are far too many girls who want to look like Kim Kardashian even though they simply do not have the structure to look even close to that. Her hip width is like 1 in 1000; no amounts of training and dieting will get your average white girl a body anything like that, and to be honest I'm not interested in that look at all either.

The media is to blame. It seems like the new trend is the 'curvy' body trend. Give it a few years and it would be something else women would want to look like
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dont get why people are so obsessed with trying to look how the media thinks women should look. For a start they cant make their mind up, first its super skinny, then its curvy, then its 'real woman' (which tries to convince you that youre not a real woman unless youre overweight). People need to learn to not care what other people think and treat your body how you want to treat it.

I know its more complicated than that due to psychological issues, but if you take every comment about your body to heart you'll never be 'perfect'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Started watching The Walking Dead while eating roast, not my best idea ever lol.
    But goddamn I'm a good cook :cool:
    Also I usually laugh at horror movies, but holy **** this is pretty creepy.

Is everyone else already finished with exams/on holiday? I've got my last one tomorrow, then at least a few months respite before possible resits, woohoo.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    any good women's only weightlifting gyms in london?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)

you can get a similar body shape with targeted weight training
    i know of some one who was super thin but now has a really curvy body

its possible.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Thedreaming*)
    you can get a similar body shape with targeted weight training
    i know of some one who was super thin but now has a really curvy body

its possible.
    Um, not really. Yes, you can add some muscle (so get your thighs, ass or trunk bigger) or lose fat, but you can't change things like the shape and size of your rib cage or hips. And for example even if you lift, you can only really target your legs, not your hips, since there really isn't any muscle there, and you can't add/reduce fats to certain spots, the overall distribution seems to be largely hereditary (though stuff like tendency to store fat around the internal organs is linked to insulin resistance and cronically elevated cortisol levels).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Thedreaming*)
    any good women's only weightlifting gyms in london?
    There's a distinctive lack of general weightlifting gyms in London, let alone women's only ones. Don't actually think there are any.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wish I had £175 to spend on tickets for the men's 105kg... all the cheaper tickets have already been sold, no surprise there. Klokov, Akkayev, Aramnau... *sigh*
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    any gyms that are good for weightlifting in general

london area
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only 5kg away :excited:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2014
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.