The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen Cersei
I think I'm just going to pay out and go private as it has been so long since my referral I feel it is just dragging out! I've never really known what a physio could do for me, one of my friends said they wouldn't do anything except give me an exercise sheet which really put me off!

It began in my first year of uni sooo 7 years ago? That sounds insane that I have gone so long without fixing it! At first it was just a twinge but I started driving long commutes to uni and to work and it got a huge amount worse... I also used to do four dance lessons a week including ballet and have had to stop from a year ago :frown: It's aggravated by weather conditions and also I walk up/down very steep hills to work and that definitely brings out the pain.

Physio can be incredibly helpful. The exercise sheets exist because they genuinely do help people with their problems - especially lower-body joint problems, they're often exacerbated by your muscles not working in quite the right way!

I wouldn't say it sounds like a cartilage tear, but IANAD. :tongue: There's no harm in doing some prehab exercises while you wait for an appointment to see if it helps: try quadriceps and hamstring stretches, massage your hamstrings, calves and quads (the entirety of your quads!) using a partner, or your bodyweight on top a foam roller, lacrosse ball, or anything like that - lots of vids online for this sort of stuff. Muscles nearer the knee especially. No harm to be done as long as you don't put any extraneous forces on the joint itself and focus on the muscles.

More like "sounds insane that I started uni so long ago!" :wink:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Physio can be incredibly helpful. The exercise sheets exist because they genuinely do help people with their problems - especially lower-body joint problems, they're often exacerbated by your muscles not working in quite the right way!

I wouldn't say it sounds like a cartilage tear, but IANAD. :tongue: There's no harm in doing some prehab exercises while you wait for an appointment to see if it helps: try quadriceps and hamstring stretches, massage your hamstrings, calves and quads (the entirety of your quads!) using a partner, or your bodyweight on top a foam roller, lacrosse ball, or anything like that - lots of vids online for this sort of stuff. Muscles nearer the knee especially. No harm to be done as long as you don't put any extraneous forces on the joint itself and focus on the muscles.

More like "sounds insane that I started uni so long ago!" :wink:

This is amazingly helpful, thanks so much!

Very true, it sounds scary that it was so long since I was a young and hopeful teenager...:biggrin:
This is amazingly helpful, thanks so much!

Very true, it sounds scary that it was so long since I was a young and hopeful teenager...:biggrin:

Hope it helps. :smile:

What did you study anyway? I often wonder what leads someone to work in community manager sorts of roles. All the CT seem to have done something different!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope it helps. :smile:

What did you study anyway? I often wonder what leads someone to work in community manager sorts of roles. All the CT seem to have done something different!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, we are a varied bunch! My BA was in English Lit at Southampton Uni and then I went on to do a Masters in Creative Writing there too :smile:
Yes, we are a varied bunch! My BA was in English Lit at Southampton Uni and then I went on to do a Masters in Creative Writing there too :smile:

Ah!! My gf's BFF's bf (I really wanted to write all those f's...) studies the same thing, but I have no idea what it's actually like. What do you actually do on a CW degree? He's always got coursework and exams and I have no idea what it's actually about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know all about knee pain

Hype- IANAD? What is this?

I would recommend yoga stretches for quads, hamstrings and your hips tbh (most of it is in the FAQ flexibility section :smile: ).

Also foam rolling, whilst it feels like the devil its really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
I know all about knee pain

Hype- IANAD? What is this?

I would recommend yoga stretches for quads, hamstrings and your hips tbh (most of it is in the FAQ flexibility section :smile: ).

Also foam rolling, whilst it feels like the devil its really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I Am Not A Doctor. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I Am Not A Doctor. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol :tongue:

Soon

Soon :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest