The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by sauce
The only exercise we should be doing is whisking mix for cakes, lap dances for our men's pleasure and the like :hmpf:
:diep:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by cowsgoquack
Ahh because this is exactly how you determine how good a swimmer is.

My thoughts exactly :holmes:
Original post by Becca
Just did a load of goblet squats - 5 sets of 6 reps 22kg. Felt good, but I'm finding it really hard to keep my knees from falling inwards, especially towards the end of a set. Any tips?

Also ladies, anyone know a good way of getting rid of calluses built up by deadlift uber-gripping?

Any reason why you're doing goblet squats as opposed to barbell back/front squats?

Calluses are hard to prevent but you could try chalk and maybe altering your grip .. i.e have the bar slightly lower down towards your fingers.

(edited 13 years ago)
Wouldn't gloves prevent calluses?
Original post by thepinkpowerranger
Wouldn't gloves prevent calluses?

No idea but it affects you're grip so it's a catch 22.
Reply 144
Original post by cowsforsale
Any reason why you're doing goblet squats as opposed to barbell back/front squats?

Calluses are hard to prevent but you could try chalk and maybe altering your grip .. i.e have the bar slightly lower down towards your fingers.

Yeah I'm doing goblets atm for a couple of reasons, basically when I tried squatting with the bar for the first time a few weeks back, I must have had it in a bad position because basically I managed to make my whole left arm numb and hard to control! I actually hit my self in the face with a weight disc :s-smilie:
It was like that for over a week, so I thought I'd just stick to leg pressing and goblet squatting until it felt better, with a view to trying again with the bar in another couple of weeks.
I can easily goblet squat 22kg, and probably could do way more, but my arms get tired from holding the dumbell before my legs get tired! It's quite frustrating actually.
I'll try out a different grip and see what happens, but I'd rather lift more efficiently and get calluses tbh, I'm not that bothered about them, was just wondering how people dealt with them.
I don't think chalk is allowed in my gym. I've never seen anyone using it anyway!
Original post by Becca
Yeah I'm doing goblets atm for a couple of reasons, basically when I tried squatting with the bar for the first time a few weeks back, I must have had it in a bad position because basically I managed to make my whole left arm numb and hard to control! I actually hit my self in the face with a weight disc :s-smilie:
It was like that for over a week, so I thought I'd just stick to leg pressing and goblet squatting until it felt better, with a view to trying again with the bar in another couple of weeks.
I can easily goblet squat 22kg, and probably could do way more, but my arms get tired from holding the dumbell before my legs get tired! It's quite frustrating actually.
I'll try out a different grip and see what happens, but I'd rather lift more efficiently and get calluses tbh, I'm not that bothered about them, was just wondering how people dealt with them.
I don't think chalk is allowed in my gym. I've never seen anyone using it anyway!

If chalk isn't allowe you can use liquid chalk, it doesn't make a mess and it's just as effective.
Original post by Becca
Stuff and thingymawotsits

Regarding the knee issue.

Try poiting your toes out a bit more and try to 'sit' on your heels, I had Sorani do this before and it seemed to do the trick with the ole folding knees syndrome.

It is caused by either lack of flexibility (which is noth the case with womens hips etc) or adductor weakness.

When you squat down try to keep the weight on the heels and make a concious effrot to ensure your knees track in line with where your toes are pointing.

Doing some sumo squats, side lunges or practicing closing your legs against resistance (insert perv comment here) will also help.
Reply 147
Original post by sleekchic
If chalk isn't allowe you can use liquid chalk, it doesn't make a mess and it's just as effective.

Cool, thanks! I'll look into it. I'm such a noob I didn't even realise this stuff existed!

Original post by MattGriff
Regarding the knee issue.

Try poiting your toes out a bit more and try to 'sit' on your heels, I had Sorani do this before and it seemed to do the trick with the ole folding knees syndrome.

It is caused by either lack of flexibility (which is noth the case with womens hips etc) or adductor weakness.

When you squat down try to keep the weight on the heels and make a concious effrot to ensure your knees track in line with where your toes are pointing.

Doing some sumo squats, side lunges or practicing closing your legs against resistance (insert perv comment here) will also help.

Excellent, thanks! I will definitely give these exercises a try and let you know how I get on!
Reply 148
Gym tonight, gym tonight woop. Gonna go a bit later, maybe 7-8ish to try and dodge the crowd.

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 149
Girls who can lift i challenge you to an arm wrestle!

Also how many of you are dykes and have your breasts turned to stone yet?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 150
Original post by Hooj
Girls who can lift i challenge you to an arm wrestle!

Also how many of you are dykes and have your breasts turned to stone yet?

My breasts will probably turn to stone around the same time you learn to use commas and correct punctuation. Basically, never.

Sorry about whatever woman rejected you and the countless numbers who will reject you in the future (the attractive ones, I mean).
Reply 151
Original post by Sorani
My breasts will probably turn to stone around the same time you learn to use commas and correct punctuation. Basically, never.

Sorry about whatever woman rejected you and the countless numbers who will reject you in the future (the attractive ones, I mean).

Oh come on sinead o connor, surely you can do better than that?
Reply 152
Original post by Hooj

ffs
Reply 153
Original post by Hooj

...I don't think you actually know who Sinead O'Connor is. Oh, wait, I get it - she had a shaved head one time so is totally a masculine lesbian. Oh, 21 year old boys and their wit.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 154
Anyway, away from this nonsense.

I managed to squat up to 37.5kg and bench press 15kg today :smile:. Getting better.
Reply 155
Original post by Sorani
Anyway, away from this nonsense.

I managed to squat up to 37.5kg and bench press 15kg today :smile:. Getting better.

Congrats!
Reply 156
Some motivation

Original post by KizZBG
Some motivation

"Half squats". At my gym most would say she was going TOO DEEP.
Original post by KizZBG
Some motivation

Sod that - actually almost litteraly but the below is more suited to this thread

Natalie Woolfolk (well, Burgener these days I think) is one of my inspirations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0qUIn4BwWM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

(I'm posting from my iPhone so apologies if the link isn't quite right!)

ETA:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest