The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU Residential Schools

Hi all,

I'll have to do two residential schools this summer, and hoped to get some advice on where to go/what to expect.

Anyone got any good/bad experiences with particular campuses?
What are the hours like, is it really early start/late finish?

I am considering to live off campus for various reasons, but wonder how much time I'll have to travel etc.

Many thanks for your replies!

SamatUni
Reply 1
You accommodation is included in the cost so I'm not sure why you'd want to stay somewhere else.

I've only done one residential school but it was one of the best experiences of my life. The hours were 9-5 with optional tutorials in the evening (followed by the pub :biggrin:)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thanks hmm_what?

Schedule sounds good! Which campus were you based?

I need to do two weeks in a row, and think noisy campus life might be a bit too much for me! (I am ancient!!)

I am from abroad and summer is usually the time for me to catch up with my family. With two weeks annual leave gone, I won't have much time to go away and see them, so I thought I'd invite them over, rent a cottage close to the campus, and sort of do it that way.
Reply 3
I went to the University of Sussex and to be honest it was pretty quiet. Most people on the residentials are over 21 so they've done the whole drinking til the early hours thing, I really don't think you'd be disturbed.
Reply 4
Thank you, that's all very helpful!
Reply 5
As Hmm_what? said, the accommodation is included. The residential schools website says the following about living off site:

"Residential schools are intensive academic programmes that typically run from 09:00 to 21:00. To get the most out of your school we recommend that you are fully resident. If you wish to stay in accommodation off-site, please contact the Residential Schools Team. There is no rebate on your course fee unless you have children under two years of age and incur extra accommodation costs by living off-site, in which case you will receive a partial rebate."

So essentially, you're still paying for the accommodation even if you don't use it. Just so long as you don't mind that, you probably could live off site if you wanted. The hours are usually 9 - 5 but there are optional lectures/workshops and sometimes compulsory sessions in the evening.

It's a brilliant experience though. The practical work is invaluable and really excellent. I was based at University of Sussex this year (SXR103) and it's a lovely place. I found there was a good mix of people - a wide range of ages were there my week and a great mix of personalities so you're sure to meet some people that you'll get on with. I think you will really enjoy it and would recommend it to any OU science student. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lunarsea
I was based at University of Sussex this year (SXR103)

Snap :biggrin:
I went to a resi school at Sussex too (back in 2006) and it was fantastic. The schedule was pretty hectic: 9-5 scheduled classes plus optional evening stuff and social activities. I'd say it's best to be on campus. Makes it way easier to get to classes in the morning :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by hmm_what?
Snap :biggrin:

Hah did you go this year? I was there 3rd of July week this year. We were blessed with good weather for the field trip. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Lunarsea
Hah did you go this year? I was there 3rd of July week this year. We were blessed with good weather for the field trip. :biggrin:

Yeah, on the 31st. You got lucky then, we got wind on the field trip and lots of it! It was freezing at Birling Gap!
To those of you that have been to a residential school - how much prep work was there to do before the week, and how much afterwards?
Reply 11
I did TXR174 in 2008, think its been replaced with TXR120 now, at Bath uni. Really enjoyable, great bunch of people too, am doing TXR220 next summer, with a bit of luck, from what I remember, its mostly a report on one of the subjects you cover at the summer school, ie one of the topics we did was on robotics, which is what I chose to write my report on, such as what we did, the relevant results, that sort of thing....
Original post by raspberryswirl
To those of you that have been to a residential school - how much prep work was there to do before the week, and how much afterwards?

I'm guessing this varies from one course to another, but the one I did (DXR220) involved one shortish TMA about a month before the residential, then a longer ECA based on the work done at the residential which was due in about 6-8 weeks later.
Reply 13
Original post by lupinpooter
I'm guessing this varies from one course to another, but the one I did (DXR220) involved one shortish TMA about a month before the residential, then a longer ECA based on the work done at the residential which was due in about 6-8 weeks later.

:ditto:

It varies. I have to do four towards my degree. The one I did this year sent a shortish book and some workbooks to read through before the residential and a ECA to complete in September. Others include iCMAs or TMAs to complete before hand and an ECA at the end.
Reply 14
SXR205 was one of the most intense weeks of my life, but it was awesome. Half the evening sessions were essential, the other half were seriously recommended. There was an icma and a poster presentation to prepare beforehand, and a tma and an eca (comprising a folder of evidence eg. poster, lab book etc) to sort out afterwards.

Literally can't wait till my level 3 resi this year :biggrin:
Hi I am also thinking if staying off campus while doing a residential course in Bath next year. I was wondering if you have found out if you are able to live off campus?
Reply 16
Original post by mccole.john
Hi I am also thinking if staying off campus while doing a residential course in Bath next year. I was wondering if you have found out if you are able to live off campus?

You're certainly allowed to live off campus. The OU don't recommend it but they won't stop you. I met people this year that stayed off campus at residential school.

The point being made in the posts above is that you are paying for living on campus as part of the courses fees and these costs will not be refunded unless you have a very good reason for living off campus. Essentially, it will cost you more living off campus. That's all. :smile:
Thanks very much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending