The Student Room Group

Mountbatten Institute, NYC

Scroll to see replies

Hey dh627,
Congrats!
I'm applying for finance too but lack any finance experience. Where the questions technical/ required strong financial commercial awareness or pretty much based on your cv/personal statement?

Regards,
Victoria
Reply 301
Original post by VictoriaSantos
Hey dh627,
Congrats!
I'm applying for finance too but lack any finance experience. Where the questions technical/ required strong financial commercial awareness or pretty much based on your cv/personal statement?

Regards,
Victoria

Hey, no nothing technical :smile: although I'd say the experience is definitely a bonus as it gives you a lot to talk about. They're more interested in the transferable skills and you as a person. Have a look at the guide they gave us for when you wrote your personal statement, and just go into the interview knowing that that's the sort of thing they're after.
Original post by dh627
Hey everyone, I have successfully passed my interview (had it on Tuesday) for finance :smile:

Hopefully I'll get to meet a few of you out there. All the best if you have an interview coming up!

Congratulations.
I too passed my interview. :smile:
Hopefully, the next stage goes as smoothly.
Congratulations!! :smile:

Original post by so confused!
Congratulations.
I too passed my interview. :smile:
Hopefully, the next stage goes as smoothly.
Original post by CAlexis
Congratulations!! :smile:

Thank You. :biggrin:
Hey everyone, I'm super keen to apply for the NYC program for next year (Aug 2017) I have read up a lot about it but I was just wondering for people that have done it before or people that are planning on doing it this year, how much do you think I should take for savings? I understand you get around $1,000 a month but I would like to take extra money for travelling etc! :smile:
Reply 306
Hi all!

I also have passed my interview for NYC Aug 16(first choice legal)

Well done everyone getting through so far-good luck to everyone else! Can't wait to see where placements might be ☺️

In terms of money-there's also the tuition fees to take into account don't worry. I'm personally saving every penny I can at the moment-especially as it sounds like first pay is end of September and I really want any to explore as much as possible in the first few weeks! Every dollar counts?
Original post by C.Oli
Hi all!

I also have passed my interview for NYC Aug 16(first choice legal)

Well done everyone getting through so far-good luck to everyone else! Can't wait to see where placements might be ☺️

In terms of money-there's also the tuition fees to take into account don't worry. I'm personally saving every penny I can at the moment-especially as it sounds like first pay is end of September and I really want any to explore as much as possible in the first few weeks! Every dollar counts?

Congratulations :smile:
Hi all,

Another August 16 MB here :smile: with a lot of questions I was hoping any previous MB'ers could provide some insight on :smile:

Age of participants - I will be in my late twenties and was thinking I would be at the older side, am I right? how old are participants in your intake, on average?

Accommodation - from what I've read the apartments we stay in are 3 bedroom 2 bathrooms. So 3 people share a bathroom and then two, is that right? How are you finding it? ie is it tricky in the morning if everyone leaves for work at the same time? etc.

I'm keen to find out about more about the job placements -I've read really mixed things? How do you find yours? Is it challenging enough are there opportunities for growth? Also what kind of hours do you work? Assume this varies between companies?

How long does it take you to walk from the PATH station back to apartments? Does this feel safe alone after dark - e.g. if you have to work late, go out

Is there anything about the program you wish you knew before you left?

Sorry for the huge message - hope to hear back from anyone that's been on the program! :smile:
Reply 309
re. age - I turned 25 halfway thru the year. There were a couple of folks in their 30s on my intake!
re. accommodation - You get used to it once you get into a routine. The apartments are fine! I actually loved living in Newport - you get to see that beautiful Manhattan view on a daily basis!

re. placements - I got a very good placement with Citi. It was challenging and I picked up a lot of new skills. The hours were 8.30-5.30. You get used to the schedule/intensity. Some people had better jobs than me, some people didn't - luck of the draw! I wouldn't look too much into it because working on a NY with a big company will look great on your cv and you will get out of it what you put into it.

re. location - 2 mins, completely safe. I should work for the Newport tourism board because I have nothing but positive things to say about that place. You live right next to a Target and a shopping mall with a cinema.

Anything I wish I knew? Not really, MB were transparent from the start. However, if I could turn back time to about 6 months before I started, I would have saved more money. I think you need to take around £3,000 - £5,000 spending money if you want to go travelling. I only took about £2,000. In June, I was on the breadline (I arrived in March).

My honest opinion is that this will be the most worthwhile thing you will do for your career.

If anyone wants more information, please send me a private message.
Hi, i'm Looking to apply for the Mountbatten New York Programme, March 2017 intake. I am facing a little difficulty completing my Personal Statement and would like to go through some statements of past applicants. Let me know if you can help with yours. Thanks so much!
Reply 311
Hey everyone, im considering applying for august 2017 as I need to get my 12 months full time working experience from now and wanted to know from a past participant some details of the programme. Do you work full time monday - friday? And how often do you take classes? Last thing I wanted to know is how often do you get time off to be able to do some travelling like long weekends?

Reply 312
I'm applying for the March 2017 intake. I'm 26, graduated in Finance in 2012 and have had a few industry roles since, currently a prop trader in Dublin. Had a cousin how went on MB a few years ago and has done very well out of it, hoping to emulate his success.Will be an active poster here for the next few months!
Reply 313
I'm applying for the March 2017 intake. I'm 27, graduated in Finance in 2012 and have had a few roles since, currently a prop trader in Dublin. Had a cousin how went on MB a few years ago and has done very well out of it, hoping to emulate his success.

Will be an active poster here for the next few months!
I'm looking to apply for August 2017 also. Will have 10 years office based experience but only just finished my degree (I'm 27).. Looking at what to put for my personal statement. Don't want my application to let me down. Currently work in HR/Recruitment so picking HR as my first choice. Exciting
Reply 315
I'm applying for the March 2017 intake. I'm super nervous! I've completed my application, just have to complete my Personal Statement and receive my references back before I can submit it. I'm slightly worried about financing it, but hoping I can get a loan and will just save like mad if I do get through to the interview stage! I'm hoping to go into Marketing/Comms, although my other choices are Events and Not for Profit. I have a Postgrad Diploma in Journalism and nearly 3 years experience in Marketing, but I'm open to other career roles too.
I'm super nervous too that I won't even make it passed application stage. Need to get some tips and some work done on the personal statement as I don't want that to be what lets me down. I can get references no problem and that's why I picked August to give myself a little bit more time to get more spending money rather than going and wishing I'd waited. I'm sure you can get a career development loan or ask a family member if possible so there's no interest or date which you must start paying it back.
Reply 317
Yeah I was going to wait until August but when they said that intake was more competitive I decided to go for March instead, and to be honest I really want to get out there as soon as possible! And if I don't get in this time I can just reapply again for the August date, hopefully with a bit more experience and tips from Mountbatten I might do better. Want to get my application in as soon as possible. I'll be working on my personal statement next week and then just have to wait for my references.

I'm not a very confident person so that's why I get super nervous and worried I'll fall at the first hurdle! Think its also because I really, really want it, it makes it even more difficult haha.
Original post by lauk87
Yeah I was going to wait until August but when they said that intake was more competitive I decided to go for March instead, and to be honest I really want to get out there as soon as possible! And if I don't get in this time I can just reapply again for the August date, hopefully with a bit more experience and tips from Mountbatten I might do better. Want to get my application in as soon as possible. I'll be working on my personal statement next week and then just have to wait for my references.

I'm not a very confident person so that's why I get super nervous and worried I'll fall at the first hurdle! Think its also because I really, really want it, it makes it even more difficult haha.

Yeah I'm getting mine ready to go and then can hit submit as soon as the August deadlines open. I'm hoping with a strong personal statement and my amount of experience I should hopefully be able to have an edge and if not I'll go for March 2018 as I'll have more money then too.

I really want to make the most and travel whilst I'm out there and see some of the other cities and a lot of stuff so I was tempted for March but don't want to risk having to miss out on other stuff as I know people who've done Miami and Chicago and things and I'll use the 13th month to travel so think I'm going to be patient and wait although I'm with you on wanting to start ASAP.

I don't even know where to begin with this personal statement! Interview I'll be fine, I'm rubbish at this part of things.
Reply 319
Original post by KJSwale
Yeah I'm getting mine ready to go and then can hit submit as soon as the August deadlines open. I'm hoping with a strong personal statement and my amount of experience I should hopefully be able to have an edge and if not I'll go for March 2018 as I'll have more money then too.

I really want to make the most and travel whilst I'm out there and see some of the other cities and a lot of stuff so I was tempted for March but don't want to risk having to miss out on other stuff as I know people who've done Miami and Chicago and things and I'll use the 13th month to travel so think I'm going to be patient and wait although I'm with you on wanting to start ASAP.

I don't even know where to begin with this personal statement! Interview I'll be fine, I'm rubbish at this part of things.

Yeah it's the personal statement I'm worried about. I just don't know how much it counts for in the whole application. But I've written it and I have a friend checking it over! Although, I'm a bit worried as I wrote a paragraph about my experience in my current job (marketing) and hope that doesn't put them off in case they think I'm not open to working in other things! I guess we'll see...

Just waiting for my two professional references to submit and then as soon as I'm happy with my statement I can send it off. Like you, if I don't get in this time I'll re-apply for the next intake and then I'll have saved more money and will have learnt a bit more from the experience of going through it the first time! It's just so nerve-wracking. I might call Mountbatten to ask them about the personal statement and what they would put in it. Although I did speak to someone who is currently in NYC on the programme and she said that they help you to change a few things in the statement if you do get through to the job pool.

Have you got a few years experience in the field you want to intern in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending