The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Sorry, my fault for not being clearer - I think you will struggle to find somewhere that late before the start of term that you like. I would definitely be looking earlier - because everyday you don't find somewhere to live is a day you spend paying to stay in a hostel/hotel.

No.

If a flat costs 600pcm (per calendar month) then you will typically pay deposit+first month's rent+fees on your move-in date. For the sake of argument the deposit is one month's rent plus £100 = £700. Payable upon moving in will be £600+£700+~£100 (fees). Throw in another month's rent and you've hit £2000. Once you add in bills, food and general start up costs associated with moving in anywhere - I'd say you want to budget to have ~£3000 available for your first couple of months. You won't spend it all, but you should have it available.

Okay, thank you for your answer. Things are much clearer for me now.
In conclusion, when do you think would be a good time to start looking for an apartment and go move in?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 101
Unfortunately I have no answers for my questions yet, so I would like to ask again for the crucial one: I´ve seen that the online application form for university accomodation is working, but it still says "2010-11".

When will the applications for September 2011 entry (post-grad accomodation) be open?

Thanks in advance
Original post by tonimau
Unfortunately I have no answers for my questions yet, so I would like to ask again for the crucial one: I´ve seen that the online application form for university accomodation is working, but it still says "2010-11".

When will the applications for September 2011 entry (post-grad accomodation) be open?

Suffice to say it is because the answer is in the OP.

me in the OP
Applications for official accommodation take place online. Applications are currently not being accepted. For entry in September 2010, applications were accepted from February 22nd - it’s reasonable to assume that the date will be about the same in 2011.
Reply 103

nearlyheadlessian, I would be really happy if you could answer my question. :smile:
When would you advise me to start looking for an apartment?
Original post by Aliniuz
nearlyheadlessian, I would be really happy if you could answer my question. :smile:
When would you advise me to start looking for an apartment?

How long is a piece of string? I would personally start looking in July/August so that I could definitely be moved in by the start of September.
Reply 105
How long is a piece of string? I would personally start looking in July/August so that I could definitely be moved in by the start of September.

So basically, if I find the right apartment for me and my girlfriend let's say in early August, is there any way for me to both book the apartment and have to move in on early September? Or I should move in right when I find the apartment?
Reply 106

Thanks, I must have missed it when I checked the first post.

I am also checking private halls of residence. There seems to be quite a lot of negative reviews about UNITE, but I could barely find any opinions on iQ accomodation here.

Is someone living on iQ accomodation in Edinburgh? What is your opinion? I don´t mind paying a bit more as long as it is worth it!
Original post by tonimau
I don´t mind paying a bit more as long as it is worth it!

It won't be worth it.
Original post by Aliniuz

Original post by Aliniuz
So basically, if I find the right apartment for me and my girlfriend let's say in early August, is there any way for me to both book the apartment and have to move in on early September? Or I should move in right when I find the apartment?

It depends when the lease starts. If you find one in August with a September start date, you can't move in until September but if you find one with an immediate start date you begin paying rent from the minute you sign the contact, so its advisable to move in then otherwise you're wasting your money. It totally depends on the contract start and end dates, essentially. If you find one in July/August with a start date of September, you still have to pay the deposit/first months rent/agency fees etc when you sign the contract as before, you just won't get the keys until later.

NHI has given you very extensive help with this matter :smile:
Reply 109
Original post by No655321
Sorry, another question about self-catered preference.

Currently thinking of putting,

1. Darroch,
2. Robertson's Close
3. New Arthur Place

As my choices. Good? Bad?
Also, how much does my being an international student with a UF affect my chances of getting good accommodation?

Cheers.

If you're interested in some ridiculous detail about Robertson's Close, I posted a couple of walls of text last year about it because I was bored and wanted to help people get a better idea of what to expect.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27240974&postcount=1049
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27375504&postcount=1147

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. I lived there in 09/10, but I doubt much has changed.
Reply 110
Original post by ceogorman
If you're interested in some ridiculous detail about Robertson's Close, I posted a couple of walls of text last year about it because I was bored and wanted to help people get a better idea of what to expect.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27240974&postcount=1049
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27375504&postcount=1147

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. I lived there in 09/10, but I doubt much has changed.

I actually quite enjoyed reading these posts. A lot of what you say goes for Sciennes 1, too. I should write a post about here sometime, but I heard they aren't using Sciennes anymore or something?
Can anyone post a photo or two of rooms in Pollock Halls, please?
Original post by Clayderman20
Can anyone post a photo or two of rooms in Pollock Halls, please?

See OP. Links to photos are found under "What does accommodation look like?"
Reply 113
Original post by oxymoronic
I always thought the kitchen stools were rather odd! My opinion on TSR has always been that yes, for some reason its considered to be the best s/c accommodation but beyond the fact you get a washing machine in your kitchen, it isn't anything special. But if you no longer even get that then what is the extra rental money even for?? The Darroch flats I went to did have better bathrooms though as they had two shower rooms to a 5 bed flat whereas where I lived had a bathroom then separate toilet, and they'd been recently refurbished whereas mine was old. They also had beds which could convert to a double which would have been nice.... although now its probably the case that the bathrooms elsewhere have been redone too as I was living there 5 years ago now. Our kitchen was upgraded when we lived there and they had to buy us a microwave (we didn't have one before) so that we could cook in the hall way for a few days whilst the builders were in!

If you compare Darroch to other S/C residences which are generally considered to be a bit skanky, you begin to realise Darroch isn't that different bar the fact it's maybe had a fresh lick of paint a bit more recently than Kincaids.

In Darroch, the beds will squeak, the walls will be too thin and you'll hear your international flatmates on skype at 3am and you'll constantly be worried they've heard you. You get the same amount of firedrills as you will elsewhere and it's just as noisy as, if you live facing holyrood road, you hear bongo, if you live facing the courtyard, you hear girls singing Katy Perry incessantly and oddly, a vuvuzuella. However, this isn't to say that Darroch is bad. It isn't. It's the same as everywhere else in Edinburgh. Oh, and don't be put off by thinking that Darroch will be filled with Rahs. It has the same concentration as everywhere else.

Though, if I were to choose my favourite residence in Edinburgh, I'd probably say the 12 person Kincaids flat as they seem far more sociable and they have couches.

Just don't go to catered.
Original post by megan____
they have couches.

We had a sofa in Warrender Park Road :cool:
Reply 115
We had a sofa in Warrender Park Road :cool:

We had a sofa in Kincaid's court. Admittedly, we found it on the street, but hey... :P
Original post by megan____
Though, if I were to choose my favourite residence in Edinburgh, I'd probably say the 12 person Kincaids flat as they seem far more sociable and they have couches.

lol! It's actually more like a 10 person flat, since one dude seems to have left (shame, he was a bro) and I... don't spend very much time in the flat at all... but yeah, I guess it seems sociable enough from what I've gathered...

I'd pick Newington as my favourite S/C place. It's got a kinda chilled out atmosphere.
Reply 117
Gotta say i disagree about the food in Pollock...I thought it was pretty awesome for catered stuff.
Only complaint was the bacon =p...
Apart from that, food was ok, and choice was always decent.
Original post by AshleyT

Original post by AshleyT
food was ok

A lot of people want more than "okay" food for their several thousand pounds catered fee though.

Next year, the cheapest single rooms in Pollock are £154.91 a week.
The cheapest single s/c rooms are £81.20.
That's a difference of £73 a week just to get your food cooked for you and they don't even give you lunch, meaning if you go out and buy a sandwich etc you're looking at approaching £100 a week extra than s/c. For £100 extra a week, I'd be wanting more than "okay" food given in s/c you would probably spend about £100 in a month at the most.
Reply 119
Original post by oxymoronic
A lot of people want more than "okay" food for their several thousand pounds catered fee though.

Next year, the cheapest single rooms in Pollock are £154.91 a week.
The cheapest single s/c rooms are £81.20.
That's a difference of £73 a week just to get your food cooked for you and they don't even give you lunch, meaning if you go out and buy a sandwich etc you're looking at approaching £100 a week extra than s/c. For £100 extra a week, I'd be wanting more than "okay" food given in s/c you would probably spend about £100 in a month at the most.

Well, I agree about the prices. Definitely. I think you pay more though due to cleaners etc. And apparently in self catered you don't get things like toilot roll etc. So in pollock, everythings taken care of, rooms cleaned for you etc.

Couldn't have asked for better food from a mass catered place though tbh. I remember the first few days day i was really impressed...after a while though you do get bored of the place...but then again if you eat from the same restaurant all the time, no matter how good, you'll still get the same effect.

Latest

Trending

Trending