The Student Room Group

Official TSR Accounting and Finance Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zedbrar
The additional stuff you have done puts you ahead, however you still have to do the exams :tongue: Exams are there to show that you have the knowledge needed. Without examination there is no proof. Plus, i am sure you will have a number of exemptions which should make life easier :h:

I know I do :sad: But in what situation am I going to need to use the information I will be tested on without having access to the Internet or someone who can help me? By the time I'm promoted so high I don't have anyone who knows the answer above me I won't need to prove anything anyway :p: I do have a fair number of exemptions. If I do the ACCA I get F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F7, and F9, so that's all but two of the foundation papers (audit and tax :frown:), I'll still have to do all the advanced ones. I don't know (as of yet) if my MSc has any attached qualifications (if any, it will be F8).

Yeah university. We just all need to be positive :h:

I'm doing just accounting because i am not 100% keen on finance, although it probably would of been better if i had done it...And i am at the end of my first year undergraduate :smile:

I SUCK at finance. I did Accountancy by itself for my BA, but I'm doing Accounting & Financial Management for my MSc. I'm having serious trouble with the finance, I'm literally scraping through with 40% for some of the modules.
So my exams were a disaster. No fails, mind you, but I may as well have considering they count for my final degree grade. However, I think I can salvage a 2:1 if I do very very well next year. So... dissertation topics. My uni are being less than helpful with every and all aspects of this. We haven't been appointed supervisors, dates, draft dates, anything at all.

If you don't mind sharing, what are some of the dissertation topics you all have done in the accounting area, or any good one's that you may have read? I'd like to get an early start on this to try and salvage my grade.
Original post by marieisfab
So my exams were a disaster. No fails, mind you, but I may as well have considering they count for my final degree grade. However, I think I can salvage a 2:1 if I do very very well next year. So... dissertation topics. My uni are being less than helpful with every and all aspects of this. We haven't been appointed supervisors, dates, draft dates, anything at all.

If you don't mind sharing, what are some of the dissertation topics you all have done in the accounting area, or any good one's that you may have read? I'd like to get an early start on this to try and salvage my grade.

I got a 2:2, it hasn't killed me, I'm now doing an MSc and 'appy as Larry!

It depends what area you're good at. I'm doing audit this year (SOX). Are you better at corporate finance, tax, audit, evaluation....?
Reply 363
Hi,
Im a year 12 student and i've decided to study accounting at university and i was just wondering do i need some kind of work experience or anything and if so what kind of work experience did everyone do and how do i get some work experience in professional firms.
Thank you
Anyone completed a straight accounting degree? if so i need your help :smile:
Original post by Larissa White

Yes I have, please ask away :smile:
Original post by dudleyian
Yes I have, please ask away :smile:

oh good :smile: i just need to ask a few questions with regards to third year dissertation. Our dissertation module for our final year is called 'Advances in Accounting', i dont know whether this was the same with you, but i need to know what topic of accounting is it based on? or can you choose which area you want to write about? finally, i know this will depend a number of variables, but in general how difficult is it to gain a good grade?

just out of interest, what was your diss' based on, and how well did you do?

(edited 12 years ago)

I have :smile:

Advances in accounting could be based around any number of things, accounting is constantly changing :smile:

Your uni may have set parameters about what you can write about, or set topics. Ours gave us free rein and gave us appropriate supervisors.

How to get a good grade is a VERY difficult question to answer. It depends on your overall aptitude for the subject you have chosen (e.g. I'm awful at tax - if I had done that I'd've failed miserably!), how much effort you're prepared to put into it, time management skills, and what your uni are looking for. If they are looking for a glorified literature review it will be fairly easy, but new research is much harder.
Reply 368
After getting recognition from ICAWE for qualified chartered accountants under ICAP , ICAP has started negotiations with CICA ( canidian institute of chartered accountant ) to get recognition.
Original post by Ice_Queen
I have :smile:

Advances in accounting could be based around any number of things, accounting is constantly changing :smile:

Your uni may have set parameters about what you can write about, or set topics. Ours gave us free rein and gave us appropriate supervisors.

How to get a good grade is a VERY difficult question to answer. It depends on your overall aptitude for the subject you have chosen (e.g. I'm awful at tax - if I had done that I'd've failed miserably!), how much effort you're prepared to put into it, time management skills, and what your uni are looking for. If they are looking for a glorified literature review it will be fairly easy, but new research is much harder.

really appreciate the advice :wink: btw, what was ur diss. based on, and what grade did you get? if you dont mind me asking.
really appreciate the advice :wink: btw, what was ur diss. based on, and what grade did you get? if you dont mind me asking.

Mine was an odd one - looking back I shouldn't have chosen it! I did a comparison of director's reports and future performance. It involved a lot of analysis of the wording. I got fifty-something I think.

My current dissertation is based on SOX law.
Mine was an odd one - looking back I shouldn't have chosen it! I did a comparison of director's reports and future performance. It involved a lot of analysis of the wording. I got fifty-something I think.

My current dissertation is based on SOX law.

thanks.

from your own experience how difficult was the final year of an accounting degree, if you was to rate from 1 to 10 (10 being extremly difficult vise versa). and which module did you find the most difficult. our third year modules are as follows: Financial Management, Taxation, Advances in Accounting and Auditing, i dont know if you had exactly the same.
thanks.

from your own experience how difficult was the final year of an accounting degree, if you was to rate from 1 to 10 (10 being extremly difficult vise versa). and which module did you find the most difficult. our third year modules are as follows: Financial Management, Taxation, Advances in Accounting and Auditing, i dont know if you had exactly the same.

Due to various medical and other factors, my university experience has been very different to that of most people, so I wouldn't say they were comparable.

If you only have four modules I imagine each module is going to be a bit more complex - we had Business Strategy (the only optional module), Corporate Finance (half module), Financial Management, International Corporate Reporting, Performance Management and Advanced Study for Accounting & Finance (dissertation) and an Add+vantage module (a weird uni initiative - half module).

I honestly think it is impossible to compare one persons experience with another, especially in different universities. I have studied Audit and quite liked it (hence my MSc dissertation topic), while others think it is dull as hell. I found Financial Management OK, but I did need to work on it more than my other modules. Like I said, it depends what you're good at.
Due to various medical and other factors, my university experience has been very different to that of most people, so I wouldn't say they were comparable.

If you only have four modules I imagine each module is going to be a bit more complex - we had Business Strategy (the only optional module), Corporate Finance (half module), Financial Management, International Corporate Reporting, Performance Management and Advanced Study for Accounting & Finance (dissertation) and an Add+vantage module (a weird uni initiative - half module).

I honestly think it is impossible to compare one persons experience with another, especially in different universities. I have studied Audit and quite liked it (hence my MSc dissertation topic), while others think it is dull as hell. I found Financial Management OK, but I did need to work on it more than my other modules. Like I said, it depends what you're good at.

yeh agreed it depends on alot of variables. i guessed financial management would be slightly the harder one, but i guess it depends on individual scenarios. :smile:
Reply 374
I will be studying at Exeter Accounting and Finance from Oct 2011 plus industrial experience in the third year. Any suggestions,opinions?
In terms of syllabus how much "pure" math have you got/had on course?
By pure math I meant equations etc. I'm just wondering what level of math I can expect.
Original post by secco
I will be studying at Exeter Accounting and Finance from Oct 2011 plus industrial experience in the third year. Any suggestions,opinions?
In terms of syllabus how much "pure" math have you got/had on course?
By pure math I meant equations etc. I'm just wondering what level of math I can expect.

Well, I'm studying Accounting on its own, and tbh there is not much pure maths involved. In my Accounting degree, many of the modules are not even based on numbers, i.e. (marketing, business management, coporate law, personal development) etc. but there are two modules in particular that can be considered to involve pure maths i.e. Financial Management and Quantitative Methods. As for the remaining modules that involve numbers, the amount of knowledge you need in terms of maths are simple multiplication, subtraction, division etc. but then again, i can't help you in the 'Finance' aspect of the course. Note, course content varies from one uni to another :smile:

hope this helps
Reply 376
Well, I'm studying Accounting on its own, and tbh there is not much pure maths involved. In my Accounting degree, many of the modules are not even based on numbers, i.e. (marketing, business management, coporate law, personal development) etc. but there are two modules in particular that can be considered to involve pure maths i.e. Financial Management and Quantitative Methods. As for the remaining modules that involve numbers, the amount of knowledge you need in terms of maths are simple multiplication, subtraction, division etc. but then again, i can't help you in the 'Finance' aspect of the course. Note, course content varies from one uni to another :smile:

hope this helps

Smashing, appreciate it. Even tho I had 96% on advanced math in smth equivalent to A-lavels I must admit I feel relief. Could someone tell what is the concept of Finance at uni? Finance means to me financial planning, investments/savings/banking. Tbh even accounting could be thrown into the same bag.
Reply 377
If listed company gives loan to any private company so special resolution will be passed by board of directors for the above matter. My question what voting power should be required ? & what interest rate should be charged , if it isn't in the law ?
Reply 378
HAPPY BIRTHDAY OF TSR
Bestwishes to all members , guests and representatives of their universities.
Special thanks to samantha , ice-queen & all friends.
Reply 379
Any other Accounting students doing a dissertation next year? I've not met with my tutor yet so haven't started. Need to follow up my third year performance - I'm currently eligible to graduate with a degree with distinction and got an award for Best Third Year Performance in Accountancy. So i need a good dissertation to help my chances of getting the best possible degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending