The Student Room Group

is there any difference between ging uni at 18 or 19?

Hey guys,

i need all the help i can get here, so here is the news,

i am currently in year 13 and doing a levels, media which i aim to get DD in which is do-able (BTEC Media) and history which aint so good maybe a D at the end of the year, so my mother wants me to stay at my current school which i only do 3 hrs of A2 history because of teacher shortage...

anyway, i found a new school which people excel there subjects in, there is the full time of lesson hours and all students go to University and i can see myself getting good grades here.

however, my mum believes doing 3 years in A-level is a waste of a year, but at this moment i feel i wont even get to uni this time next year... is it a waste of time? shall i move school? please i want people to get in touch asap!

Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 1
1 year

more seriously, it depends on your ambitions and academic abilities. if i were you i'd switch schools and get to studying asap, but that's just me
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I'd say that it would be worth it. It would be difficult going to Uni with only 2 A-levels, one being a D.

However they may do different exam boards etc etc. So you'd have to look into it. Have you planned what would happen, or how you're going to do it.

Once you've looked into the pros and cons and how it would work you'll find the answer for yourself.

Doing an extra year really isn't such a big massive deal, making you a failure or anything. Do what you need to do.
Reply 3
Awww thanks guys, have any of you took an extra year? also i have been looking at the pro's and cons... this school is so much better, i mean more hours and working time, its just persuading my parents... thanks so much peeps :smile: i think if i join the new school its like a new begin which mean, pulling my finger out and studying like crazy and stuff... thanks again :smile:
I took an extra year. It was both good and horrible at the same time, but I got where I wanted to in the end.

It was a shame that all my friends left, I had to make some new ones, but it happened and I don't regret it.

It was so frustrating seeing all my friends on facebook out at uni and I was still stuck at college, but it's only a year.

When you get to uni there's no difference. I live with people of 18 and 19 and have friends in my lectures who are almost 22, but you don't really pay attention to that. It really makes no difference at uni. This is so long as you act 19, as I do know people who didn't enjoy uni at 18/19 because they acted a lot older.

And why would it be a wasted year. Surely it's better to get good grades and get to a good uni a bit later than settle on a regular one just so you can go at the same time as every other 18 year old.

But I managed to get through double sessions of a subject I didn't like in order to get where I wanted, and I'm at Southampton because of my third year :biggrin:
Reply 5
also, people do gap years and what not so there probably be quite a few 19 year olds in their as well, thee gap ear sort of brings into line with the other dudes. And seriosuly do the extra year, my ccuz got a u in a level maths and redid year and got an A!
Reply 6
You need to consider your options carefully before taking a decision and consult all the people involved. The practicalities of transferring schools at this late stage might be difficult, but if you genuinely believe you can improve your performance, it will be worth it. Although some Universities ask for higher grades and refuse to accept anyone who has not obtained their results within one sitting, this only applies to the most elite courses at research-intensive Universities. People go to University at a variety of ages; it is not the exclusive domain of 18 - 21 year olds.
Reply 7
i started a week after my 21st :smile:
i dont think it makes any difference, all the people who i've told that i had two gap years didn't believe me!
so i really dont think it will make an impact to your uni experience, and its always better to get good A Levels and have choices about where to go then to get not so good and have to go wherever will take you.
good luck! :smile:
Do it, I'm going to univeristy 2 years later than more people.
I went to a rubbish college and almost completely failed my first year as the tutors didnt realise there were things we were supposed to know for exams and didn't tell us.
So you go to uni a bit older, you'll be wiser and more mature. So you should be able to handle the move and everything much easier.

Latest

Trending

Trending