The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Straight Econ vs Econ + Econometric

I am going to apply for Nottingham but I am dilemma between straight economics or economics and econometric degrees.

I think having econometric in the degree is much cooler but I am not sure if I can handle econometric well

Hence, may I ask if it is possible to change from straight economics to economics and econometric, vise versa? If it is possible, will the uni let us change easily?

thxxxxxxxxxxx for advices (:
its easier to change from a smaller course to a bigger one (in terms of student size) rather than the other way round.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Do you enjoy mathematics and are you taking it to further maths level at the moment?
Reply 3
Original post by La Esmerelda
its easier to change from a smaller course to a bigger one (in terms of student size) rather than the other way round.

Do you mean that it is slightly easier to change from the Economics+Econometric to Straught Econ?:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LethalResistant
Do you enjoy mathematics and are you taking it to further maths level at the moment?

tbh, I am not reli interest in maths:wink: but i dun find it difficult at all. I am not sure but I should have my further maths module in the next term(I am an international student, sorry that I am not sure wt is included in further maths:tongue:)

Taking metric in the module becuz my friend told me it actually is the most improtant part for the whole econ course, n it's better if metrics is contained more in the course for the future, both in further study n career prospect:rolleyes:

Hence, wt's ur idea??:smile:

many thx for ur reply:redface:

btw, y u get an offer from nottingham soooooooo early ?
I've heard they will only give out offers after 15 Jan :s-smilie:

psps: im from hk too, nice to meet u dude :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by YhA_kaede
tbh, I am not reli interest in maths:wink: but i dun find it difficult at all. I am not sure but I should have my further maths module in the next term(I am an international student, sorry that I am not sure wt is included in further maths:tongue:)

Taking metric in the module becuz my friend told me it actually is the most improtant part for the whole econ course, n it's better if metrics is contained more in the course for the future, both in further study n career prospect:rolleyes:

Hence, wt's ur idea??:smile:

many thx for ur reply:redface:

btw, y u get an offer from nottingham soooooooo early ?
I've heard they will only give out offers after 15 Jan :s-smilie:

psps: im from hk too, nice to meet u dude :biggrin:

The reply from .ACS. from the following thread should give you a better idea: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=777360

Just curious, but wt qualifications are you currently doing in HK? IB?
Reply 6
Original post by LethalResistant
The reply from .ACS. from the following thread should give you a better idea: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=777360

Just curious, but wt qualifications are you currently doing in HK? IB?

Though I come from HK, I am doing a foundation course in UK. There are several universities and other insitution offer foundation course for international student and we only need to study 1year instead of AS+A2 years.:tongue: However, we normally cannot apply to Oxbridge, LSE and UCL. You may check on google or yahoo for more details about foundation course:wink:

Hope it helps:biggrin:
Reply 7
It's easier to get an offer from Econ+Econometrics as there is less interest in the course.

However, if you apply to straight Econ and you successfully complete all the requirements for the Econ+Econometrics course, you can change the title of your degree to Econ+Econometrics. Same goes for any other course within the School of Economics.
Reply 8
Econometrics will stand you in better shape for if you want to get into finance career, regressions and forecasting etc are super important.

If you can do further maths, you can certainly handle econometrics!
Original post by YhA_kaede
Do you mean that it is slightly easier to change from the Economics+Econometric to Straught Econ?:smile:

In terms of numbers yeah it'd be easier to switch from a smaller course to a bigger one.
It really doesn't matter. You can change either way at any point in your first year and you can probably change during your second year as well. Economics + Econometrics may(may!) be slightly less competitive, but there will be very little to separate them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending