The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm about 4 hours away...I don't regret it.
Reply 2
I'm 4 hours away also and I have no regrets.
Reply 3
Also 4 hours away, no problems or regrets. I've barely spoken to my family to be perfectly honest.
Reply 4
Original post by Assandun
Also 4 hours away, no problems or regrets. I've barely spoken to my family to be perfectly honest.

hmm i dont get that to be honest. how can you not want to talk to the people who you have been around most of your life. to be honest i would find it difficult not speaking to my family at least once every 2 days (if that) lol
Reply 5
i'm going to be moving from N. Ireland to London hopefully... I hope it isn't the wrong decision :s
Reply 6
No I don't. I'd be lying if I said I haven't missed my family at all, but I'm happy here. Wherever you go, if you're going to miss your family, you'll still miss them whether you're 5 hours away or 1 hour away. It makes it harder to go home, that's true, but it's not really a problem.
I'm from Essex and now i'm in north wales...and i couldn't be happier :biggrin:
just depends on the person, really; i've always wanted to get away, so it makes sense :smile:
Wbu?
Reply 8
Original post by a112
hmm i dont get that to be honest. how can you not want to talk to the people who you have been around most of your life. to be honest i would find it difficult not speaking to my family at least once every 2 days (if that) lol

Being around people for most of your life doesn't mean you necessarily want/need to talk to them all the time.
Reply 9
Original post by a112

I'm slightly older than the average student which helps, and I'm pretty independent and have lived away from my parents before so I think I'm the exception rather than the norm! Me and my family just don't have that sort of relationship, but it's fine :smile: Plus my boyfriend goes to Warwick so I'm nearer him, and spend a lot of time with/chatting to him so I don't really get that homesickness feeling.
I wish I'd moved further away! I am 1 hour 40 minutes away in the car or 2 - 2 and a half hours on the train. Means I've been home 4 times in nearly 2 months, a lot more than I wanted to.
Reply 11
Original post by BabyGirl92
I wish I'd moved further away! I am 1 hour 40 minutes away in the car or 2 - 2 and a half hours on the train. Means I've been home 4 times in nearly 2 months, a lot more than I wanted to.

You don't have to go home... :biggrin:
Original post by a112

I don't find it difficult not speaking to my family. Well for the first 2/3 days I was on the phone with my mum quite a lot but for the 4 weeks after that I hardly spoke to her. But since then I have been home every weekend :/ not that I want to be coming home just different things have been happening. So it's not really hard not speaking to them. Even if I wasn't home at the weekends I wouldn't want to speak to them that much.. I kind of wanna live my own life! My mum just wants to know everything I'm doing and my dad is trying to say what I should be doing!
Original post by Cicerao
You don't have to go home... :biggrin:

I know but random things have been happening like first it was my grandmas birthday, then my mate was back from uni for the weekend so i came home to see her and now its my sisters birthday so it's kind of just worked out like that! After this time I'm gonna TRY and not come home until christmas!! But I worry about my family coping a bit lol :frown:
I don't think I regret moving so far away from home but I do dislike the fact that the distance makes a bit awkward to get back home. I've always wanted to live far away from my hometown, initially when i was thinking about University, I wanted to go to Edinburgh (I'm from the midlands so its quite a distance)! And in all honesty I only really have one reason for going back (and his name is Neil), Its not thats I don't love my family but we've never been particularly close so it doesn't really bother me to be so far from them, and as for my friends most of them moved away to University last year so I'm used to not seeing them too often either. But yes like I said the fact thats it so awkward to get back does certainly spoil living so far away...well at those times when you really want or need to go back for something/someone.
Reply 15
Original post by mrsmiliband
i'm going to be moving from N. Ireland to London hopefully... I hope it isn't the wrong decision :s

Snap! I've been wanting to live in London since I was about five... but now as the prospect of leaving dear ould Norn Iron comes closer, I'm beginning to get a little clingy - planning trips up to the Causeway and all!
I moved from Cambridge to Glasgow!

No regrets at all :smile: talk to family lots, parents are coming to visit in a few weeks. Only thing which annoys me is how much it'll cost to get home at end of term!
5 hours is good. I have a legitimate reason for not going home apart from the holidays.

Latest

Trending

Trending