Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

which FO role?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i was under the impression that sales really does not pay well/ have any where near the bonus that Investment bankers and traders have and that MAY have made a difference as i am tightly torn between the 3. I was also under the impression that there are very few successfull people working in Sales compared to trading and that the successfull ones dont get as much as the successfull traders

My skills, well im hoping to do and BSc at UCL in information technology management for business, I am very sporty, outgoing and confident, but i also like numbers and have high staminar, as for risk i think im a relatively risky character but i also have addictive qualities which is probably bad.

I like the idea of the exit opps and workng in the IBD, im not going to lie the hours are ridiculous I appreciate what 14 hour days are! However i like the idea of merging companies for profit and raising capital, I get the feeling that the work is 'making powerpoint presentations and using Excel'

However trading looks like a job where you never get bored, I love Economics and i KNOW that I would love to analyse and play markets I love a challenge and pressure, However as i said earlier i have addictive qualities and i dont know if this means il be a short chapter in trading if i loose too much money. I do like the idea of working with numbers but i am also not sure how much of a quick thinker I am, I am diffinately nothing special in that area, Also not overly keen on the job security, for example if im no good i get fired, then what? The skill set for trading seems quite specific.

Sales im relatively knew to and am currently trying to basically research this option, hence me looking at this thread in the first place, from the sounds of it it sounds far less pressurized than trading, I love sport golf tennis and rugby the most, so i was thinking that these social sports would contribute to Sales, Taking clients out etc, im still a little fuzzy on what they do EXACTLY during there day job. For the record I consider myself quite persuasive so maybe Sales is for me

Im sorry to throw all this at you, just bouncing around ideas, Im not even at uni yet so I still have some time before aplpying to internships etc.

So Sales v trading v IBD? thanks ALOT for listening i know this is alot
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    While we're at it, can someone explain to me the difference between those 3 ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    prepare to get ripped apart
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    not bothered if i get ripped apart lol, especially on the internet :facepalm2::cyber::borat: would just like an answer
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    prepare to get ripped apart
    Sales is all about talking about Rugby, Golf, Cricket. Sales people make a pittance, they actually subsidise Sales' lunches because we get paid so little. We actually just sit around just watching the traders make money.

On a serious note, persuasive skills are not as important as people seem to think. You're not flogging a pair of jeans to a kid who has no idea what size/style etc he is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    heres an answer. Sales people sell. Traders trade. Investment bankers, well they investment bank.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jesus may have turned water into wine, but I'd like to see him try create value out of thin air like an I-banker. Booyakasha!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashton.alfred)
    i was under the impression that sales really does not pay well/ have any where near the bonus that Investment bankers and traders have and that MAY have made a difference as i am tightly torn between the 3. I was also under the impression that there are very few successfull people working in Sales compared to trading and that the successfull ones dont get as much as the successfull traders

My skills, well im hoping to do and BSc at UCL in information technology management for business, I am very sporty, outgoing and confident, but i also like numbers and have high staminar, as for risk i think im a relatively risky character but i also have addictive qualities which is probably bad.

I like the idea of the exit opps and workng in the IBD, im not going to lie the hours are ridiculous I appreciate what 14 hour days are! However i like the idea of merging companies for profit and raising capital, I get the feeling that the work is 'making powerpoint presentations and using Excel'

However trading looks like a job where you never get bored, I love Economics and i KNOW that I would love to analyse and play markets I love a challenge and pressure, However as i said earlier i have addictive qualities and i dont know if this means il be a short chapter in trading if i loose too much money. I do like the idea of working with numbers but i am also not sure how much of a quick thinker I am, I am diffinately nothing special in that area, Also not overly keen on the job security, for example if im no good i get fired, then what? The skill set for trading seems quite specific.

Sales im relatively knew to and am currently trying to basically research this option, hence me looking at this thread in the first place, from the sounds of it it sounds far less pressurized than trading, I love sport golf tennis and rugby the most, so i was thinking that these social sports would contribute to Sales, Taking clients out etc, im still a little fuzzy on what they do EXACTLY during there day job. For the record I consider myself quite persuasive so maybe Sales is for me

Im sorry to throw all this at you, just bouncing around ideas, Im not even at uni yet so I still have some time before aplpying to internships etc.

So Sales v trading v IBD? thanks ALOT for listening i know this is alot

The most important thing to work in sales is a good golf handicap. And you need to have played county-level rugby. And you need to have hit a century in at least 1 village cricket game. Apart from that, it's all just making coffee for traders................

Seriously though, you need to ask yourself which interests you more, not which pays more.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agreenwood)
    The most important thing to work in sales is a good golf handicap. And you need to have played county-level rugby. And you need to have hit a century in at least 1 village cricket game. Apart from that, it's all just making coffee for traders................

Seriously though, you need to ask yourself which interests you more, not which pays more.
    Which area involves the most math, accounting/financial knowledge but doesnt use too much Statistics or is focused on selling ? I know risk management requires a lot of stats...any others?

If that makes any sense ...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    heres an answer. Sales people sell. Traders trade. Investment bankers, well they investment bank.
    concise and elegant, che bravo!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    don't worry OP, Credit Suisse allow you to make three different apps in one year. Of course you may have to sit 27 numerical tests to submit these three applications...what a shambles their careers site is. Also OP, did you just completely ignore the spellchecker?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5timelucky)
    don't worry OP, Credit Suisse allow you to make three different apps in one year. Of course you may have to sit 27 numerical tests to submit these three applications...what a shambles their careers site is. Also OP, did you just completely ignore the spellchecker?
    I have done it 10 times already...can answer quite a lot of questions without thinking :facepalm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Timepasser)
    Which area involves the most math, accounting/financial knowledge but doesnt use too much Statistics or is focused on selling ? I know risk management requires a lot of stats...any others?

If that makes any sense ...
    The thing is, working in an investment bank is sell-side. So unless you work in risk or ops or compliance then you'll be involved in selling. Sales is obviously the most client focused, and have to entertain propestive clients after office hours etc.

All roles are mathematical in the front office.

What's most important is what interests you most in the idea of working within the markets or in investment banking? You want to choose an area/ role that fits your personality and perspective, because you'll need to be genuinely interested for the hours.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, working in an investment bank is sell-side. So unless you work in risk or ops or compliance then you'll be involved in selling. Sales is obviously the most client focused, and have to entertain propestive clients after office hours etc.

What's most important is what interests you most in the idea of working within the markets or in investment banking? You want to choose an area/ role that fits your personality and perspective, because you'll need to be genuinely interested for the hours.
    I was under the impression that numerical degrees are not required for IBD, or Sales, just trading quants etc..

What area's of FO could i go in with UCL's Information technology management for business BSc, very little maths involved if any, Apparently they have got some people into trading and other roles, which i dont understand because its not quantitative, are there trading roles which do not require much math?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that numerical degrees are not required for IBD, or Sales, just trading quants etc..

What area's of FO could i go in with UCL's Information technology management for business BSc, very little maths involved if any, Apparently they have got some people into trading and other roles, which i dont understand because its not quantitative, are there trading roles which do not require much math?
    By maths, we dont mean excessive modelling, but you must have a fairly decent level of maths and be comfortable with handling numbers.

As for Sales not needing maths? Pls. FX you need to understand the crosses, FX options, NDFs etc. Credit - you need to understand company metrics and generally be comfortable with the quotes and arb strats.

And dont even get me started on Rates. Let me know if this is a question you dont need to be comfortable with maths for... (set by my MD as hwk before i get to SGP - Im in Asia Rate Sales)

A 5Y EUR bond is trading with a par-par asset swap of E-10 bp. If the 6m Euribor-repo spread is 10 bp, then what is the 6m forward, par-par asset swap?

Now assume that the bond is actually trading special in the longer-dated repo market, will be Euribor-repo spread be less than 10 bp, 10 bp or more than 10 bp? Given this, will the 6m forward, par-par asset swap be less than 10 bp, 10 bp or more than 10 bp?

Do bonds that are special in repo trade richer or cheaper in forward space than in spot space?

Sales is NOT about just picking up the phone and pressing a button to execute a trade. Its a little bit more complicated than what you think..
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Do u guys have any good links for info on each department/ what to ask at networking events as a complete beginner? I've tried googling but I dont understand them very well...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Timepasser)
    Do u guys have any good links for info on each department/ what to ask at networking events as a complete beginner? I've tried googling but I dont understand them very well...
    When i can be bothered, im a little busy atm, ill send you a PM outlining the basics of each. Pls specify your preference on product area, even if it is only FI vs Eq. Ask questions, but dont form opinions as wrong as the OP has in this thread. Think about your questions, dont ask stupid ones.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    When i can be bothered, im a little busy atm, ill send you a PM outlining the basics of each. Pls specify your preference on product area, even if it is only FI vs Eq. Ask questions, but dont form opinions as wrong as the OP has in this thread. Think about your questions, dont ask stupid ones.
    Yep I dont like industry area much. But whats FI vs Eq ? And would it be ok to ask them abt what stuff they've done to get the job ? (if they're relatively young)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

we might have different opinions on what maths is, but thats a lie.
    Arithmetic or numerical are maybe the words you're looking for.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    we might have different opinions on what maths is, but thats a lie.
    Arithmetic or numerical are maybe the words you're looking for.
    Well what exactly would mathematical imply then :confused:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 29, 2010
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.