The Student Room Group

Getting a Private Smear Test

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The age of cervical screening is also 20 in Wales. I'm 23 and from South Wales originally but I live in Manchester (I was invited for a smear test at my local practice in Wales but never went for one because I was scared that it was going to hurt). I asked my nurse about it and she refused because the age is 25. Although she didn't take a swab, she did look at my cervix and she did notice an ectopy of the cervix (cervical ectropion). She said that it's likely that I have pre-cancerous abnormal cells which is harmless in the majority of women but because I had expressed my concerns and told her my symptoms (pain during and after sex, bleeding (spotting) after sex etc) she told me to speak to a GP about getting referred to see a gynaecologist and to tell the GP that she recommended it which I did so I'm now going to get it checked out in October. As for the smear test itself, I don't think the gynaecologist will be able to do one for me so I will be going private if I have to.

Mind you, every woman is different. I've had problems since starting my periods, heavy irregular periods, hormones were f*cked up among other things. Also, it depends how early you became sexually active. I first had sex at 18 but wasn't sexually active until the age of 22.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
My daughter is 23 her son is 18months old , her periods have always been regular and no pain at all but for the last 3-4 months she's had irregular bleeding which is also painful shes tried to book in for a smear because shes worried but has been refused . I had abnormal cells removed when i was 23 .
Original post by misscharli
Well basically Ive been having period type pains and a bit of bleeding (not on period). I would go to the doctors and ask but Ive heard of people having worse symptoms than me and still getting refused cos they are under 25 thats why i'd rather just pay and get it done privately soon.

Surely it would make more sense to go to the doctors first and ask about your symptoms and directly ask and see what they say directly. If they're not helpful, then fair enough, go private, but why waste your money and time going private without at least trying to get it investigated on the NHS

By the way, if you're having symptoms, you don't need a smear. A smear is there to pick up abnormal cells which may be pre cancerous, if you're having symptoms that do turn out to be cancer, a smear won't help with that, you need other investigations... its more than likely that your symptoms are not cancer and caused by something else entirely, such as an infection.
Reply 23
I have been bleeding for nearly 6 months now along with abdominal pain and bleeding after sex. I have a family history of CC with my mum being diagnosed at the age of 24. I have been to my GP multiple times to request a smear (I'm 24 next week) however each and every time I've been turned away because I'm not yet 25. GP offered swabs for infection but said if it comes back with no infection I will have to wait until I am 25 for a smear to detect cancer. I've been taken off contraception to see if that stops the bleeding but there have been no changes yet. The bleeding comes in different forms, some weeks it can be bright red for around 3 weeks and then it starts to thicken for a longer period of time. It's totally unacceptable that the GPs won't carry out smear tests when you are showing a high number of symptoms and are constantly worried about this. Unless I pay to go privately I now have to wait for over a year, with symptoms, to have a smear test.
I am 23 and have 3 young children my oldest being 4in a week and my youngest is 6 months ! I have been bleeding since I have had my youngest without a day of not bleeding also having very bad lower back pain and abdominal pain and tmi but sort of gushing with blood after sex I went to the doctor and he advised I book in with the nurse for a smear but when I went to my app she refused to do it because I wasn't 25. ....... What should I do??
Original post by Xxsamwatxx
I am 23 and have 3 young children my oldest being 4in a week and my youngest is 6 months ! I have been bleeding since I have had my youngest without a day of not bleeding also having very bad lower back pain and abdominal pain and tmi but sort of gushing with blood after sex I went to the doctor and he advised I book in with the nurse for a smear but when I went to my app she refused to do it because I wasn't 25. ....... What should I do??

A smear test isn't really appropriate for you anyway - it's a screening test for people with no symptoms, not a diagnostic investigation. Ask your GP to refer you to a gynaecologist, who can arrange the appropriate tests.
Go to your GP, explain your concerns and see what they can offer.

If you have CC in your family history you can get tested earlier.

I had mine a few month ago and it was a horrible experience.

Quick Reply

Latest