The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Ethical Hacking & Computer Security 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Not sure what drop out rate is so far but we're estimating about 50%, probably will rise as it gets tougher in 2nd year tbh. Looking forward to 2nd year, looks like some good module (and tutor) changes too!
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Yeah they are scrapping the consultancy module i think, which is kind of a shame because that gave me invaluable real world experience when pen testing a real company
Reply 42
Really? I've not heard that, I hope they don't!

The modules we have been timetabled for are the ones on http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=UUSETH1&page=modules - They got rid of the one about signals etc (sounded like electronics combined with physics) and replaced it with a low level OS programming module but that's only change recently. Notice first years no longer do forensics now and do Web Tech instead.
The operating system module sounds like it will be more worthwhile tbh, the modern communications one did seem like a bit of a gap filler.

The consultancy module may stay but if it does it will be altered so you don't get a real client as there was problems with them this year, ours for example would take ages to get anything done, such as signing contracts and disclaimers which meant people were losing out on marks as a knock on effect from the client.
Reply 44
Hmm, that would be a real shame, alot of people looking forward to that module :/
I've recently set up a website that will allow people to keep up to date with the latest exploits vulnerabilities and hacks, additionally a forum will be following soon that maybe would be able to link other universities. the link to the news is www.latesthackingnews.com and the other will follow shortly.
Reply 46
Nice to see you are following the standard 'babby's first h4x0r website' theme.
Reply 47

What are the modules in here? I coudlnt find it on their website
How much math is there?
Your best bet is to take a CEHv7 course, It qualifies you as a Certified Ethical Hacker from the EC-Council and covers more then the uni course. I'm currently studying for my V7 certificate in which I'll be taking the exam next year.

http://www.eccouncil.org/cehv7.aspx

Revolutionary Product

EC-Council releases the most advanced ethical hacking program in the world. This much anticipated version was designed by hackers and security researchers. CEH v7 is a revolutionary training program that combines class metrics, advance lab environment, cutting edge hacking techniques and excellent presentation materials. EC-Council has spent several years in developing this version.

The Certified Ethical Hacker courseware has undergone tremendous improvement from its predecessor. We have invested 4 times the regular investment in the research and development since the last release, and have given CEHv7 a complete makeover.

The new version is a breakaway from earlier releases with more emphasis on techniques and methodologies, which attackers may use to carry out possible attacks against system/networks.

Picture speaks thousand words and we at EC-Council have enforced the saying by practicing it. The instructor slides and student manuals in CEHv7 has it all. The new version empowers the instructor with flawless flow and outstanding diagrammatic representation of the hacking techniques, which makes it easier to teach and enables students to understand the concepts better.
CEHv7 provides a comprehensive ethical hacking and network security-training program to meet the standards of highly skilled security professionals. Hundreds of SMEs and authors have contributed towards the content presented in the CEHv7 courseware. Latest tools and exploits uncovered from the underground community are featured in the new package. Our researchers have invested thousands of man hours researching the latest trends and uncovering the covert techniques used by the underground community.

In addition to the makeover, CEHv7 includes two additional bundles; a Monster Hacking Tool Repository, Codenamed Frankenstein and a subscription based Virtual Lab Environment codenamed iLabs.

Frankenstein

Frankenstein provides user with an ease for searching, downloading and installing the latest hacking and penetration testing tools. By using Frankenstein Version 1.0, users can check the release date of the tool, category under which it is published, probable size of the tool, name of the publisher/author, the website details and technical requirements for the tool to run. This will help all the Certified Members to keep themselves updated of tools released in the wild.

Key benefits:

Repository of categorized latest tools
User can download the tool in less time with comparison to manual search
Helps the user to synchronize & manage the tools from the server
Search specific tools from the available list of tools
The system provides a means to generate a HTML report of all the tools downloaded by the user

Note:Frankenstein Access is only provided to CEIs (Instructors) and students will not be able to access it. Students can access the Frankenstein contents in their tools DVD provided to them along with the book.

iLabs

The iLabs is a subscription based service that allows students to logon to a virtualized remote machine running Windows 2003 Server to perform various exercises featured in the CEHv7Lab Guide. All you need is a web browser to connect and start experimenting. The virtual machine setup reduces the time and effort spent by instructors and partners prior to the classroom engagement. It is a hassle free service available 24x7 x number of days subscribed.

Benefits

Enables students to practice various hacking techniques in a real time and simulated environment
The course tools and programs are preloaded on the iLabs machine thereby saving productive time and effort

Key Features of CEH v7

Well organized DVD-ROM content; a repository of approximately 20GB of latest hacking and security tools and more than 1000 minutes of videos demonstrating hacking techniques.
Well organized content for a better understanding and learning experience
Concepts are well-illustrated to create self-explanatory slides.
Diagrammatic representation of concepts and attacks
Industry standard key tools are featured in detail and other tools are presented as a list for students to try
Exclusive section for countermeasures against different attacks with detailed explanation of how to implement these countermeasures in real time environment
The new version has complete section dedicated for penetration testing. It illustrates how to implement learned concepts to test network system security
A result oriented, descriptive and analytical lab manual; the labs showcased in the courseware are tested against latest Operating Systems with all the patches and hot fixes applied

We will be sponsoring a limited number of key information security professionals globally to attend the launch class of CEH v7, which would be held simultaneously at different locations around the globe. Watch out for more news on the CEH v7 launch by subscribing to our twitter account http://twitter.com/eccouncil .

I personally dropped uni purely for the fact that for pen testing I require 2 years in the security industry and either to be CEH qualified or CISSP fully qualified, The reason I'm now studying for CEHv7.
Reply 49
i'd take CISSP over CEH anyday
Reply 50

I will take at least one year in Uni any day ...
Original post by Colcut
Nice to see you are following the standard 'babby's first h4x0r website' theme.

Haha well spotted, the themes are supposed to be cliche, the forum has recently gone live but is still a work in progress. www.latesthacksforum.com
Reply 52
As I didn`t get my answer and I was told I would at CoventryFB I will ask here instead
'May I ask? Is there gonna be more info about the new Ethical Hacking facility? Will that facility affect the modules that are being taught in Udnergraduate level? If so, when can I expect such a change to be announced? Will Undergrads use it or have an access to it? Any info would be nice, pics or video or equipment that it contains.
Thnx,'
Reply 53
Seems impossible to get any information (beyond module titles) about the contents of the computing courses at Coventry.

If any current or former students care to give an opinion on any of the following courses I would be grateful: Computer Science, Computers/Networking & Communications engineering or Ethical Hacking.
In particular I would be interested to know what you can study for the +vantage modules and what level of mathematics is involved (do you need A-level maths to succeed?)
Original post by smc2010
Well in a nutshell, hacking is generally seen as a bad thing, but there are different kinds of 'hackers'. Good and bad. White hat and black hat.

:cyber:

A White hat hacker is seen as a good hacker, so what they'll do is, see how secure your network is and if it's not secure, they would patch it up so it's not vunerable to malicious hackers.

A black hat hacker is someone with intent to hack to cause harm, e.g someone who would steal your I.D online.

So is a grey hat hacker ethical? Surely they have to be covered in the course!
Reply 55
Original post by THESHade
As I didn`t get my answer and I was told I would at CoventryFB I will ask here instead
'May I ask? Is there gonna be more info about the new Ethical Hacking facility? Will that facility affect the modules that are being taught in Udnergraduate level? If so, when can I expect such a change to be announced? Will Undergrads use it or have an access to it? Any info would be nice, pics or video or equipment that it contains.
Thnx,'

Too much to ask?
BigV is probably right ...
Reply 56
Original post by THESHade
Too much to ask?
BigV is probably right ...

Clearly it is........ the lack of information or feedback from current or past students in Computing related subjects is a bit depressing to be honest. Many other university specific sections of this site have plenty of students from past and present willing to answer questions, so I just don't understand why nobody from Cov contributes to this section.

As suggested by one of the "Sal_Coventry" posters, I even emailed the admissions help to get a breakdown of the modules and further details, but I received no reply.

I can't even find out what the so called "Add+Vantage" modules are as the document link on the website is broken.
Reply 57
Original post by The Phelps
So is a grey hat hacker ethical? Surely they have to be covered in the course!

Grey hat hackers are ethical, if it benefits them - they are happy to use both ethical and non-ethical means to get the job done.
Reply 58
Original post by BigV
Clearly it is........ the lack of information or feedback from current or past students in Computing related subjects is a bit depressing to be honest. Many other university specific sections of this site have plenty of students from past and present willing to answer questions, so I just don't understand why nobody from Cov contributes to this section.

As suggested by one of the "Sal_Coventry" posters, I even emailed the admissions help to get a breakdown of the modules and further details, but I received no reply.

I can't even find out what the so called "Add+Vantage" modules are as the document link on the website is broken.

It's a bit pants, because now that I've graduated, I don't have access to the Module Information Directory, which was a really useful tool to see what the modules contained. :frown:

I've always found it a little strange that comparatively few people from Cov contribute here... :erm:
Reply 59
Original post by Mad Vlad
It's a bit pants, because now that I've graduated, I don't have access to the Module Information Directory, which was a really useful tool to see what the modules contained. :frown:

I've always found it a little strange that comparatively few people from Cov contribute here... :erm:

Yes, they need a guest login for the module directory or just to put more info online really.

As a Cov graduate what is your take on EH&NS vs Computer Science vs CNCT at cov? - I applied for all three and have unconditional offers for two so far.

Also, can you enlighten me as to what the mathematics modules are like in terms of difficulty?

Going to the open day soon so hopefully I can get more info there too.

Quick Reply

Latest