The Student Room Group

Interesting

The other month I was taking a long trip and got chatting to a new railway guard who was just learning the job.
It turned out that she was a fully qualified physcologist from a London Uni who had given up of getting a job in that field and had instead taken a job as a railway guard. She said the jobs were easier to get, paid more, had better terms and conditions and was better of in that job.
It takes no degree to become a railway guard and she said they will earn £35k with ease, with driver on well over £40k.
Something to think about, no?

Scroll to see replies

Whats a railway guard, exactly?
Reply 2
Isn't it someone who does the signal things at a station?! :confused: :biggrin: :rolleyes:
InterCity125
The other month I was taking a long trip and got chatting to a new railway guard who was just learning the job.
It turned out that she was a fully qualified physcologist from a London Uni who had given up of getting a job in that field and had instead taken a job as a railway guard. She said the jobs were easier to get, paid more, had better terms and conditions and was better of in that job.
It takes no degree to become a railway guard and she said they will earn £35k with ease, with driver on well over £40k.

who in there right mind would want to do that when you can spend 3 years training to be a nurse with a starting salary which is half of that :confused:

i think i may have made a huuuuuge mistake.....
Reply 4
It's the same with what I saw on a bus the other day. Earn £25k and over, full training given, + bonuses. Don't even need a qualification, just the right peace of mind according to the advert. Makes me wonder why I'm doing this for 4 years.
Well, money isn't what attracts me to a career. Having never had much to begin with, I'm looking for an occupation with job satisfaction, and the most important factor in job satisfaction, for me, is intellectual stimulation. That's why I personally wouldn't want to be a driver (plus I'd be rubbish at it anyway).
Reply 6
worried_mess
Whats a railway guard, exactly?

Basiclly he person who cheks the tickets on the train.
They have safety reponsibilites in a crash, but for the most part they check tickets and tell the driver when to go (I.e. when the passengers are on).
Reply 7
yelwalkietalkie
is intellectual stimulation.

I agree, but are tehre really many jobs available that give you that?
Reply 8
But I've never considered working solely for the financial rewards. If I had done then I'd not have been a teacher for so long. And there are many other graduate professions that pay even less than teaching- but people do it because they enjoy the job.

I certainly couldn't have stuck for so long with teaching, no matter what the pay, if I hadn't enjoyed the job.

I can't speak for others, but that old thing of job satisfaction is the key issue with me. Everytime!
ancientone
But I've never considered working solely for the financial rewards. If I had done then I'd not have been a teacher for so long. And there are many other graduate professions that pay even less than teaching- but people do it because they enjoy the job.

I certainly couldn't have stuck for so long with teaching, no matter what the pay, if I hadn't enjoyed the job.

I can't speak for others, but that old thing of job satisfaction is the key issue with me. Everytime!

nicely said :smile: think you hit the nail on the head there
its certainly why i chose nursing anyway
Reply 10
I don't think I could do that even if the paid me £35k a year. I'd be bored out of my mind! It's not always about the money (although that is a huge part of it!). Would you really want to do that though? Rather than find something more interesting? (I'm not slamming railway guards here I'm just saying that it must be a pretty dull job)
Reply 11
You get to meet a lot of people on that job, but it is gnerally routine and dull.
However, on that money you can have a lot more fun outside of work and a better standard of living than you could on an interesting but poorly paid job of say £20 a year. Work is only 8hrs a day, and if it gives you enough to have a good 16hrs a day then perhaps?
Intercity125, your train terminates here :biggrin: I think you will recongnise the company in my avatar.

Guards at northern (Operate trains in the North of England) earn around 17K whilst drivers are on 28-29K

The job is focused on safety (It takes a year to train to become a driver and 3 months for a guard)

Once you begin working for the bigger Intercity operators like GNER, a driver can earn up to 39K per annum.

its a great job for some people and the pay is great considering it does not require a uni degree.
Reply 13
InterCity125

My friend has a D.Phil from Oxford, and is now a plumber (and she's earning a stack!)
Fluffy
My friend has a D.Phil from Oxford, and is now a plumber (and she's earning a stack!)

Does she believe her higher studies were, to some extent, a waste of time?
Reply 15
More or less - there isn't much scope for molecular biologists in the plumbing world :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 16
The course I am doing at the moment in Stoke is designed to help graduates get graduate level jobs. There is all sorts of employed people there from computing people like me, industrial designers to American studies graduates.

The way I look at is that even if I job dosn't need my degree I have learn't so much other stuff from university it will always be worth it. I am planning to setup my own business anyway which pretty much uses 80% of what I have learn't in my degree :smile: so if that takes off my degree would be vital.
It's pretty depressing when you think about it.
haha, oh dear you're obsessed, Intercity...

Oh, and, the whole not in it for the money. Heck, I don't know what I'll be doing when I graduate..
Reply 19
Employers value the transferable skills acquired from being an undergraduate. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending