The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes but being a train driver on £40k is fab, until you realise how many people throw themselves infront of your train per week. It's actually quite horrifying.
Reply 21
:eek:
Reply 22
Lady_Muck
Yes but being a train driver on £40k is fab, until you realise how many people throw themselves infront of your train per week. It's actually quite horrifying.

Got any stats?
Reply 23
if all else fails in my career, im gonna become a DLR driver lol
Lady_Muck

Just under 300 people topped themselves last year or got run over through trespass on Britains Railways. Considering the number of trains that run, it is very doubtful, but in areas of high fatalities do not be shocked to have hit someone within 5 years of starting. 99.999999999% of drivers recover mainly because they know there was nothing they could do (You can honk horn, apply brakes, possibly lean to one side in the futile hope that you can steer the train). Also alot of them happen at night or in really busy places (someone throws themself off a packed platform) when you are concentrating on stopping.

A freight driver had been travelling through the night and had hit someone. Because it was so dark and because the train was loud, the guy didnt realise that he had hit someone and drove through a packed Doncaster Station at 8 in the morning with a severed head on the front approximately 2 feet below the windscreen.

And DLR is driverless for anyone who was thinking about it :biggrin:
Reply 25
So how would I become a guard or ticket inspector? It might be a good backup plan if my web development business fails. The I.T job market at the moment is a joke and my other passion has always been public transport.

I wouldn't mind a job in the railways.
Reply 26
AT82
The course I am doing at the moment in Stoke is designed to help graduates get graduate level jobs. There is all sorts of employed people there from computing people like me, industrial designers to American studies graduates.

The way I look at is that even if I job dosn't need my degree I have learn't so much other stuff from university it will always be worth it. I am planning to setup my own business anyway which pretty much uses 80% of what I have learn't in my degree :smile: so if that takes off my degree would be vital.

Didnt you graduate just this summer AT? Even humanities based graduates can take up to six months to land a good job.
Reply 27
ramroff
Didnt you graduate just this summer AT? Even humanities based graduates can take up to six months to land a good job.

This summer, a couple of deaths of close relatives have put things back a long way.

The more research I do the more it makes sense to just to setup my own limited company. I am sure there is a market, its just a matter of making sure the marketing plan is spot on and the business plan is solid.
Reply 28
Good luck :smile:
Reply 29
if it comes to it and you do want to work on the railways then calling local train companies and asking about jobs wouldn't be a bad place to start. Or you could look at www.railchat.co.uk and click on getting a job, visit www.careersinrail.org
there's a rumour , and only a rumour, that Euroostar drivers will be gettin a pay rise to £47k.
Reply 30
B Beth
Employers value the transferable skills acquired from being an undergraduate. :p:

Cronic drinking and avoiding work... I'll be set for a career in journalism then...
Reply 31
Looking at stuff like this just really depresses me - why are we spending a fortune working our asses off (yeah right) at university when we don't have to?? I feel like a sheep :frown:
Reply 32
Err, because university teaches us about the world and enables to study a subject we care about in depth for several years? It's not just about the money at the end of it (if in fact you get any money at the end of it).

Latest

Trending

Trending