The Student Room Group

Low Offer?!

So I've received an offer of 34 points from Nottingham to read English.. but they usually ask for 36 points, as stated in their prospectus. So I was just wondering, does that mean they really want me or was the Admissions Tutor in a good mood. Just curious since 1)Nottingham is incredibly competitive and given the current climate surely they want only the best applicants 2)English itself is ridiculously competitive.

But an offer from Nottingham :woo: I am so happy, especially since I was convinced that they would reject me.
Reply 1
Let's just assume they want you badly. Congrats! :smile:
Reply 2
Maybe they really want you, maybe the admissions tutor was in a good mood, maybe they made a mistake, maybe they're revised the IB offer from what it states in the prospectus. Who knows :dontknow:

Now stop caring about what it means; you have an offer, now celebrate! Well done :smile:
It's definitely a typo.
Reply 4
Congrats :biggrin:
I had this from Aberyswyth last year, where my offer was 28 even though in the prospectus it said 30. When I went to the open day, they told everyone they were giving low offers to entice more people to go there, because of it's location. I doubt whether this is the case with Nottingham though, possibly they really liked your application? I can't think of any other reason.
Reply 6
Congrats, and don't ask questions :biggrin:
Reply 7
I know it is somewhat pointless for me to ask such questions but I am really perplexed. I haven't got a barrage of A*s at GCSE and from what I heard Nottingham like a lot of these for competitive courses. Furthermore, my IB prediction, whilst higher than 36 points, was most likely not the best they saw so why give me an even lower offer than what they put in their prospectus? Oh well, I am happy anyway.
Reply 8
Nice one, congratulations! I am applying to do Nottingham for Psych and Philosophy and found out that there are only 10 places so I dont think I will be as lucky as you.
Reply 9
Original post by adam_zed
Nice one, congratulations! I am applying to do Nottingham for Psych and Philosophy and found out that there are only 10 places so I dont think I will be as lucky as you.

Eeek where did you find this infomation? I'm applying for psychology and neuroscience :s-smilie:
Original post by sango
I know it is somewhat pointless for me to ask such questions but I am really perplexed. I haven't got a barrage of A*s at GCSE and from what I heard Nottingham like a lot of these for competitive courses. Furthermore, my IB prediction, whilst higher than 36 points, was most likely not the best they saw so why give me an even lower offer than what they put in their prospectus? Oh well, I am happy anyway.

Good personal statement maybe? I got lower than standard offers for two of mine last year but they were for far less competitive courses. Grats.
Reply 11
Original post by ambition-X
Eeek where did you find this infomation? I'm applying for psychology and neuroscience :s-smilie:

It would say on the website.
Reply 12

Actually, just found it!
Reply 13

The website :frown: Good Luck!
Reply 14
35 places...meh. I'm terrified :frown:
Reply 15
35 places...meh. I'm terrified :frown:

My course had 6 places, including people form other joint honours degree programmes and I still got an offer - I'm sure you'll be fine!!
Are you applying with international student status, because Nottingham gives out lower offers for international applicants. I for one got a low offer from Nottingham for Economics as well, they usually ask for AAA and do not give out offers until after the January UCAS deadline
Reply 17
Original post by LethalResistant
Are you applying with international student status, because Nottingham gives out lower offers for international applicants. I for one got a low offer from Nottingham for Economics as well, they usually ask for AAA and do not give out offers until after the January UCAS deadline

No I'm a UK student.

Latest

Trending

Trending