The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx
However I don't think it's fair to say that psychology has a sell-by date. Perhaps its true that all behaviours, symptoms, attitudes etc can be linked back to the brain and back to the internal mental state, but that doesn't mean other branches such as developmental, health and so on are totally not valuable

I suppose I was being a little too blanketting in my statements. What I mean to say, in terms of explanatory power, the neural code will trump all. Emotions, behaviours, beliefs, irrationalities etc will be reducable to neural language and ultimately mathematics.

However: An understanding of these from a behavioural perspective allows for intervention, whereas (short of some kind of nano-neurosurgery) the neural perspective does not (avoiding any kind of sci-fi longitudinal perspectives in which nanobots re-arrange synaptic weightings in accordance with a designed configration). I suppose that is where the value of certain areas of Psychology lies. Then again, even in modern psychology, the principal models explain meager amounts of behavioural variance and alternative versions are nothing more than re-interpretations of the same concepts.

Thanks for this GG, it really has made me think about why I want to do psych, and at least when I get to uni

I think it's good to have a devils advocate complaining about the negatives here on TSR. There are so many prospective students who come here to learn more about what they want to study and if the picture being painted for them is nothing but roses, they're going to enter into it with very unrealistic expectations.

Plus, I find ranting quite stress relieving. I tend not to do it at every opportunity that I can, but it does come out in large bursts occasionally. I get quite frustrated because I feel like the only one who thinks this way in my year group. Everyone else seems to buy into it unquestioningly and they all seem to love this subject.

But yeah, don't get me wrong. I've learned a hell of a lot studying this subject, probably not for the conventional reasons though.
Reply 21
I definitely understand where you're coming from in your last paragraph. It makes me sad. However I don't think it's fair to say that psychology has a sell-by date. Perhaps its true that all behaviours, symptoms, attitudes etc can be linked back to the brain and back to the internal mental state, but that doesn't mean other branches such as developmental, health and so on are totally not valuable, though they may suffer more from the academic "floopiness" (if I can put it that way) that you speak of. I haven't studied much cog psy or neurosci so I can't comment on one eclipsing the other, but psych should play an important role in society, and I'd like to believe katie louise when she said, at its core it does.

But certainly most of what you're talking about here seems to ring true even to me as a humble prospective undergrad, and you're right- the field has got to move away from those sorts of dodgy, even Freudian, practices and upgrade its standards altogether. It should be a requirement to study it up to at least AS-level in order to enrol on a UG course. Other academically rigorous subjects have this stipulation and it's odd that psychology doesn't. Second A-Level should be changed to be a better lead-up to degree-level stuff. AS was a memory test tbh. Like you said, coursework should be reintroduced. There should be more emphasis on journal-reading, and teachers who have their own rubbish brand of psychology, or who never even studied psychology at uni SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO TEACH IT (unless it comes to the stats/ ethics parts of the course).

I had a feeling that a lot of people enter into the degree thinking it is all easy and airy-fairy and you get to learn about yourself and psychoanalyse others blah blah. What you've just said has made me certain of it. It probably goes round in a circle, and might explain the rubbish res methodology as they graduate and contribute back to the field. To be fair, I really thought the degree was like that at the beginning of my AS course! I remember being shocked when I first heard it being referred to as a science :s-smilie:

At the end of the day though, the one thing that is crystal clear is that psychology was not the right subject for you. For the majority of people who pick it though, it is, and that's what I'm choosing to dwell on.
Thanks for this GG, it really has made me think about why I want to do psych, and at least when I get to uni and I find myself feeling the way you do, I'll know I'm not on my larry. (sorry if that sounded like I'm piggybacking off your misery!) I do know what it feels like to have to study a subject that you resent in depth though; you've just got to stick at it, work hard and focus on the positives. :smile:

Errm this maybe a stupid question- but why are you applying for it when you have listed about 100 reasons not to?
I am now having a MAJOR panic after reading this thread. Any positives anyone would like to mention?
Original post by Katie_louise
Errm this maybe a stupid question- but why are you applying for it when you have listed about 100 reasons not to?

Because there are equally about 100 reasons in its favour? :wink:

I do actually enjoy the subject a lot; I like reading around it, the syllabus, the way it encompasses a little bit of everything- but I've grown to really hate the way it's taught at my school. That's where the resentment stems from. That's not to say I dislike psychology, rather it frustrates me that the teacher is less clued up than his students, that we've not been taught things we should have and that this may disadvantage me if I get to interview/ when I get to uni. Besides all the things I said must be true to some degree, right? Or am I just being a bit ahead of myself? I like to think I'm keepin it real though :rolleyes:

And I suppose, like it has with GG, my eyes have been opened as to certain flaws in the field. That may all sound contradictory since yes, I am making the decision to commit to psychology for a further 3+ years but it's what I most want to do right now. And then again, that's true for all subjects. Economics A Level, for example, is even worse. The theories have plenty of assumptions built in, such as consumers will behave X-way and this will lead to Y-outcome, but you're just supposed to take that **** and run with it.

If, God-willing, I get into any of my choices, I'd be very happy. It would take a lot, I think, for me to regret ever choosing psych, and since the courses look soo amazing, I don't expect to be let down either.

Original post by Pheebs1201
I am now having a MAJOR panic after reading this thread. Any positives anyone would like to mention?

LOL oh don't! Sorry you probably didn't expect a rant from GG and a sob story from me when you made this thread. But tbh there are positives and negatives to everything in this world. What do you love about psych?
(edited 13 years ago)

There tends to be a lot of chicks. So if you swing that way you'll love it.
Reply 25
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I suppose I was being a little too blanketting in my statements. What I mean to say, in terms of explanatory power, the neural code will trump all. Emotions, behaviours, beliefs, irrationalities etc will be reducable to neural language and ultimately mathematics.

However: An understanding of these from a behavioural perspective allows for intervention, whereas (short of some kind of nano-neurosurgery) the neural perspective does not (avoiding any kind of sci-fi longitudinal perspectives in which nanobots re-arrange synaptic weightings in accordance with a designed configration). I suppose that is where the value of certain areas of Psychology lies. Then again, even in modern psychology, the principal models explain meager amounts of behavioural variance and alternative versions are nothing more than re-interpretations of the same concepts.

The way I see it- other areas of psychology also have value in discovering the problems and issues that need to be looked at on a neurological level. Before you go hunting round the brain for answers you need some idea about what is 'normal', what is 'abnormal' and what the consequences of such behaviours are- basically, you need the bigger picture too.

My logic:

What is the problem? (psychology)---> Why does it occur? (neuroscience)---> Can it/ should it be treated medically? (medication/ surgery) ---> Is behavioural intervention/ types of therapies more suitable? (back to psychology)

Feel free to disagree!

LOL oh don't! Sorry you probably didn't expect a rant from GG and a sob story from me when you made this thread. But tbh there are positives and negatives to everything in this world. What do you love about psych?

Lol I didnt make the thread, just read it!

I dont know why I love it, I just do lol. I know thats not a very concrete statement but hey, Im tired! lol.

Nahh doubt my boyfriend would be too pleased If I had a sudden change of heart. However, you picked a laregely female subject in a largely female uni so you must have been very pleased with yourself!
Original post by Katie_louise
The way I see it- other areas of psychology also have value in discovering the problems and issues that need to be looked at on a neurological level. Before you go hunting round the brain for answers you need some idea about what is 'normal', what is 'abnormal' and what the consequences of such behaviours are- basically, you need the bigger picture too.

My logic:

What is the problem? (psychology)---> Why does it occur? (neuroscience)---> Can it/ should it be treated medically? (medication/ surgery) ---> Is behavioural intervention/ types of therapies more suitable? (back to psychology)

Feel free to disagree!

I can see how your example applies well for, say clinical psychology, but other areas come into difficulty when they attempt to translate psychological constructs into neural ones. For example, take a cognitive model of working memory. Yes, it reflects the behavioural nature of WM, but it does not neccesarily mean that there is a discrete neural network for a phonological loop which feeds into a discrete neural network for a phonological store.

Ultimately if a construct does not translate well into a neural language, it will provide little or any use for studying it at a neuroscientific level.

I suppose in some sense you are right. But I can't help but feel that psychological constructs should be defined based on their neural physiology and not the other way around. It's just that, we're not yet at the point in which investigative techniques are refined enough to do so. It will be, but not quite yet.
Nahh doubt my boyfriend would be too pleased If I had a sudden change of heart. However, you picked a laregely female subject in a largely female uni so you must have been very pleased with yourself!

I've got a gf. (Doesn't mean that I don't like a bit of eye-candy though :^_^: )

I think in my yeargroup of about.. 140? There are around 11 guys. The odds are good, but the goods like Psychology.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Because there are equally about 100 reasons in its favour? :wink:

Good- for a second I thought you were turning in to GodspeedGehenna mk II :tongue: We only really need one devil's advocate around here!
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey :smile: As you can see from my sig, I am applying to Sociology and Psychology at Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Edinburgh Napier and QMU. At first I only wanted to apply to Sociology but most Unis do them together, then I started doing higher psychology and i'm really enjoying it so luckily it seems doing sociology with psychology wont be too bad!
Knowing my luck i'll probably end up hating both subjects once I get to Uni but as long as I get there i'm fine and I will tackle that when I get to it, for now my choices seem good to me :smile:
Reply 32
Reading this thread is just feeding my doubts. Last few months I've been thinking if psychology is for me, I do love it, I just seem to lean towards cognitive neuroscience more and more these days and hating certain parts of psychology that shouldn't be associated with science. I did, however, think that these areas just existed in the A-level syllabus, but after looking over a few uni modules (Bristol have a psychoanalysis one -___-) and reading this thread I'm wondering if I made a mistake.
Reply 33

Ultimately if a construct does not translate well into a neural language, it will provide little or any use for studying it at a neuroscientific level.

I disagree, they give you something to look for, to prove right or wrong. The brain is a dangerous thing to play about with so theoretical assumptions (as long as you are not blinded by them) mean that you don't just have to get a stick and poke around a bit (like they used to :tongue:) It's like sending man to the moon without theorising about the atmosphere- you are better off considering everything first, even if it turns out to be incorrect (sorry about the tenuous analogy :tongue:). Even when looking at a scan, cognitive models help to explain what you are seeing.
Reply 34
Original post by Noodlzzz
Reading this thread is just feeding my doubts. Last few months I've been thinking if psychology is for me, I do love it, I just seem to lean towards cognitive neuroscience more and more these days and hating certain parts of psychology that shouldn't be associated with science. I did, however, think that these areas just existed in the A-level syllabus, but after looking over a few uni modules (Bristol have a psychoanalysis one -___-) and reading this thread I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

say you are the master of all neuroscience and understand what every neuron in the brain does, how they are connected, what deficiencies are causing problems...what now? Pure science is amazing (if not- currently- impossible) but what do you do with it next? You need to be able to apply that knowledge. Many applications of the science are , as you have heard, less than good (to put it mildly) but surely learning about them and criticising them is the next step forward? This is where psychology (and medicine) come in.
(edited 13 years ago)

I almost forgot that. Thanks for reminding(!)

Lol I didnt make the thread, just read it!

I dont know why I love it, I just do lol. I know thats not a very concrete statement but hey, Im tired! lol.

Have you heard back from any of your unis yet?

Did you apply to Oxford in the end? And I felt the way you did too, I even posted a thread on here about whether I was going against my gut feeling and so forth. Actually I still feel a bit uncertain, as you can probably tell from what's been posted here. But I think it's normal to have last-minute jitters and to feel apprehensive (after all it's a big commitment we're making here). It's also too late to do anything about your app (now I am presuming you applied to Oxbridge), so keep on with the process, keep doing more research course- and uni-wise, keep working hard. If you find that you really really don't want to do psych then withdraw/ leave and reapply next year with a better idea. But just in case it is what you want to do, I would continue to try and 'rediscover' why you 'love' it. No-one can tell you whether you made a mistake, can you try visiting the uni departments and seeing if you'd want to study there?
(edited 13 years ago)

Noo only acknowledgements. Im actually having "5 rejection" nightmares. Plus everyone on TSR seems sooo much more intelligent than me and have said "oo you're aiming a bit high aren't you" :angry: the meanies! :tongue:

How about you? :smile:
Noo only acknowledgements. Im actually having "5 rejection" nightmares. Plus everyone on TSR seems sooo much more intelligent than me and have said "oo you're aiming a bit high aren't you" :angry: the meanies! :tongue:

How about you? :smile:

Ohhhh dw about them :smile: People have said the same thing to me as well, and the way I see it, is if I really like the uni, really like the course and technically have a chance of getting in then ofc I'm going to apply! I think the key is to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
I've got a conditional offer from Sheffield, and been acknowledged by all the rest but Birmingham. That'll be cause I substituted it for Notts slightly past the 14-day deadline (but it fell on a Sunday soo. Got lucky I spose :wink:)
Reply 38
I almost forgot that. Thanks for reminding(!)

Did you apply to Oxford in the end? And I felt the way you did too, I even posted a thread on here about whether I was going against my gut feeling and so forth. Actually I still feel a bit uncertain, as you can probably tell from what's been posted here. But I think it's normal to have last-minute jitters and to feel apprehensive (after all it's a big commitment we're making here). It's also too late to do anything about your app (now I am presuming you applied to Oxbridge), so keep on with the process, keep doing more research course- and uni-wise, keep working hard. If you find that you really really don't want to do psych then withdraw/ leave and reapply next year with a better idea. But just in case it is what you want to do, I would continue to try and 'rediscover' why you 'love' it. No-one can tell you whether you made a mistake, can you try visiting the uni departments and seeing if you'd want to study there?

Yup applied for Oxford. I really like the look of the course, it seems to emphasise the science part a lot and it has quite a few modules in philosophy and neuroscience which is pretty sweet. I think I just get sick of it when I have to Frued's theory of why diets fail and constant crap like that everyday, I kind of loose sight of the parts that I do enjoy.
Yup applied for Oxford. I really like the look of the course, it seems to emphasise the science part a lot and it has quite a few modules in philosophy and neuroscience which is pretty sweet. I think I just get sick of it when I have to Frued's theory of why diets fail and constant crap like that everyday, I kind of loose sight of the parts that I do enjoy.

How much does Oxford's Experimental Psych course actually differ from just plain old Psych courses? Or is it just Oxford being a bit snooty?

Latest