The Student Room Group

Attending Two Colleges in Same Session

I am looking to go back to college in order to get more highers, as I have significantly changed my career plans. The problem is that the college I am looking to attend only allows four higher subjects to be taken at a time, whereas I was looking to take at least 5, maybe 6. I was therefore wondering if it is possible to attend two different colleges during the same session? For example one college with four subjects during the day full time, and then another college with two subjects on a part time evening basis. Does anyone know if this would be feasible?
Reply 1
It would be possible, but would it be worth going through all the admin/funding stress? I think ILA won't fund you for a nightclass if you're already getting funding for a day class.

The reason why college don't like you doing too many highers is because it's much harder to pass/get good grades there, as the support/teaching style is very different of that compared to school.

Will the other college let you do 5 highers maybe?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LuhLah
It would be possible, but would it be worth going through all the admin/funding stress? I think ILA won't fund you for a nightclass if you're already getting funding for a day class.

The reason why college don't like you doing too many highers is because it's much harder to pass/get good grades there, as the support/teaching style is very different of that compared to school.

Will the other college let you do 5 highers maybe?

I don't think the funding will be a problem, as six highers will cost approximately £828, and I can save enough between now and next session in order to cover that. The administration may be troublesome with regards to informing the SQA that I will be attending two centres instead of one, but I am willing to put up with that in order to get the right results.

I don't think getting good grades will be an issue as I've actually been studying the four highers that I'll definitely be doing at college for the last month or so, and if I keep up that rate of study then I should be in a good position. Also, as I will be 21 when I start my new highers, I'll definitely be a great deal more mature about it than I was first time round. Obviously the relationship with teachers/tutors at college is a lot different to that of
high school, but I can't envisage this presenting any significant problems.
Reply 3
Original post by andrew1990
I don't think the funding will be a problem, as six highers will cost approximately £828, and I can save enough between now and next session in order to cover that. The administration may be troublesome with regards to informing the SQA that I will be attending two centres instead of one, but I am willing to put up with that in order to get the right results.

I don't think getting good grades will be an issue as I've actually been studying the four highers that I'll definitely be doing at college for the last month or so, and if I keep up that rate of study then I should be in a good position. Also, as I will be 21 when I start my new highers, I'll definitely be a great deal more mature about it than I was first time round. Obviously the relationship with teachers/tutors at college is a lot different to that of
high school, but I can't envisage this presenting any significant problems.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying: are you at college right now or are you going next year? 6 highers is a bit excessive and time consuming.

Also, it is rather difficult. You don't get homework or anything like that so you always have to self study. I know you probably think that you can self-study well, but you need to take things into account like work, motivation and stuff. College can be pretty draining too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by LuhLah
Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying: are you at college right now or are you going next year? 6 highers is a bit excessive and time consuming.

Also, it is rather difficult. You don't get homework or anything like that so you always have to self study. I know you probably think that you can self-study well, but you need to take things into account like work, motivation and stuff. College can be pretty draining too.

Sorry, my original post was a wee bit vague there.

I am going to college next year. I have been studying in my own time for the last month or so. I understand fully the amount of motivation and effort required, which was part of the reason why I am starting to study at this early stage in order to prepare myself. I already have four highers and one advanced higher which are in arts subjects, however after gaining a Dip HE at university, I have decided that this type of career is not for me, and I have subsequently decided to go into science subjects, which is why I'm going back to college. I'm really hopeful of getting into medicine, which I know will be difficult, but I will give it my best shot.
(edited 13 years ago)