The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilickbatteries
GCSEs - B, C, C, C, C, CC, D, E, EE
AS - A, A, C
A2 predictions - A*, A, C

This leaves me with a bit of a predicament.

My GCSE grades aren't really university standard. I mean, they're not 'poor', I got at least a C in English, Maths and Science but for universities that place emphasis on GCSEs (LSE and Durham, for instance) they're certainly not good enough.

The C at AS also leaves me in a state of confusion as to where to apply to. If I got A*, A, C at A2, would a BBB university take me on, or would I have to apply to a BBC university?

I'd really appreciate some help from someone who knows UCAS a lot better than I do, or someone who has been in this situation before.

Thanks.

If you're willing to risk fees increasing, bearing in mind they also might not, in your situation it might be worth doing your A-levels this year and applying for uni next year. Reason being, whilst some BBB unis will be flexible and accept A*AC as meeting the offer, there's no guarantee that they'll be the ones you're interested in, and it might be that the ones you like won't accept it as equivalent - I agree, it seems ridiculous that someone who (for example) got A*A*C in maths, further maths and geography wouldn't get their BBB offer for maths, whilst someone who got BBB in the same subjects would, because I know which one is the better mathematician ... but there you go, 'tis the system (don't agree with applying before knowing our grades either, but that's a different story.)

However, if you were able to get a B in the C subject (English, did you say it was?), you could apply for BBB universities without much fear. LSE (and maybe Durham; don't have any experience of them, though) might still be out of reach because they love GCSEs, so have a high chance of discounting you unless you have mitigating circumstances ... but places like Warwick and Queens aren't. And if you do get a C at it, at least you know where you stand and could perhaps concentrate on a resit or two, rather than the current situation where you're applying to unis you might not be happy with and wondering if you're actually going to do much better than they want.
Doubt it. My English teacher doesn't really rate me :redface:

To be honest your teacher really shouldn't make much difference to your grade. Maybe its an easy excuse to blame the teacher but to be honest I've found that I tend to do better when the teacher's **** because I do more by myself.

Edit: I got BCC so I'm not claiming I'm perfect by any means but I know that I got the grades I deserved based on my work (and personally, I was happy with my grades, maybe not TSR standard but I was happy none the less) If you continue to blame others for the relative weakness we all have in certain areas then you'll never improve those areas :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MALIK HAMID
To be honest your teacher really shouldn't make much difference to your grade. Maybe its an easy excuse to blame the teacher but to be honest I've found that I tend to do better when the teacher's **** because I do more by myself.

Edit: I got BCC so I'm not claiming I'm perfect by any means but I know that I got the grades I deserved based on my work (and personally, I was happy with my grades, maybe not TSR standard but I was happy none the less) If you continue to blame others for the relative weakness we all have in certain areas then you'll never improve those areas :smile:

I'm not blaming my teacher for my poor English results, I was responding to someone who asked if I could get the prediction moved up a grade. I doubt he would predict my higher than a C as he doesn't really rate me.
I'm not blaming my teacher for my poor English results, I was responding to someone who asked if I could get the prediction moved up a grade. I doubt he would predict my higher than a C as he doesn't really rate me.

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about what you thought you would get rather than your teachers predictions. :facepalm2:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Fair enough, I've just been going off what I've been told by my college tutors.

We were told that grades level out. Seemed believable because it's much fairer than what you're saying it's actually like. I'd be absolutely stotting if someone who scraped BBB got in, if I got A* A C and didn't get in. Seems ridiculous that a C in an unrelated subject would cause me to miss my offer. Then again UCAS is pretty ridiculous at the best of times :frown:

I'm pretty gutted at the thought of being rejected by universities asking for BBB. Especially when I've been told to aim higher than that. I'm going to assume that despite the fantastic references I've been given, that won't change a thing?

I've been reading through this thread, and repeatedly it has been said that getting a C in a supposedly "unrelated" subject shouldn't matter. We can all agree that it does matter, but I also think that it should, because they want people who are academically able, and a C does not reflect this. That is why the C matters, and it doesn't matter that you are not going to be studying the subject that you got a C in.
Original post by Planar
I've been reading through this thread, and repeatedly it has been said that getting a C in a supposedly "unrelated" subject shouldn't matter. We can all agree that it does matter, but I also think that it should, because they want people who are academically able, and a C does not reflect this. That is why the C matters, and it doesn't matter that you are not going to be studying the subject that you got a C in.

Yes dear, of course I'm not academically able.

I'm sure the two As I got in my other subjects must just have been flukes ey? :rolleyes:

Fortunately, you don't work in admissions. Royal Holloway said my grades are good enough so that's you kicked into orbit. Unlucky sonny!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MALIK HAMID
I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about what you thought you would get rather than your teachers predictions. :facepalm2:

Nee bother pal, we all make mistakes :tongue:
Original post by oxymoronic
Your A levels are more of an issue than the GCSEs - the A* will not filter out the fact you also have a C. Universities that want BBB will not be willing to take your A* in lieu of a B because they want all Bs and above, which you do not have. Therefore you need to be looking for ABC universities or ones that work in UCAS points if you can not get the C moved to a B. LSE will reject you as you're not predicted what they want at A level before they get to filtering people out for their GCSEs and other universities will do similar.

Not actually true. Most universities will balance out A* A B as AAA and likewise A* A C (I got this last year, I'm now on a gap year as I did them a year early) at AAB. I spoke to one of the admissions tutors at Sussex and he said that although he can't say anything for definite, had I applied for his course last year, despite the entry requirements being AAA I would have had an offer. I understand varying universities have varying standards and Sussex are more lenient as they make their entre requirments higher than they really ought to be, but he said that an A* generally cancels out a lower grade.

Although I have already got my grades so I'm applying for an unconditional so it works differently, but you might wanna work really hard in English this year and get a B. Would have made my life so much easier if I'd done the same with French but I was feeling fairly disillusioned with life at the time. I'd strongly recommend aiming for AAB if anything though, as a C just confuses matters.
Reply 48
Yes dear, of course I'm not academically able.

I'm sure the two As I got in my other subjects must just have been flukes ey? :rolleyes:

Fortunately, you don't work in admissions. Royal Holloway said my grades are good enough so that's you kicked into orbit. Unlucky sonny!

No one is saying you aren't academically able, but if a university asks for ABB, it doesn't mean they'll consider you with AAC - simply because they see a C grade as too low and having an A or even A* may not counter that. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you'll get into some great universities, but don't kid yourself into thinking that ABB = AAC.
Original post by Eloise987

Not actually true. Most universities will balance out A* A B as AAA and likewise A* A C (I got this last year, I'm now on a gap year as I did them a year early) at AAB.

Please read my comments in the rest of the thread.

Your situation is different to the OP because if you are given an offer with your grades it will be unconditional. The OP is discussing whether come results day, universities will accept a C in lieu of a B which is a different matter entirely. If they accept your application and give you an unconditional offer even though you technically don't have the grades, that's one thing, having them give out a conditional offer of AAB and then not meeting it with A*AC is a different thing entirely. This is because it is completely dependent on how many other people meet their offer and how many people they then have as unconditional offer holders in comparison to the number of places they have funding for, as I explained in every other post in the thread.

However, were you to apply to certain universities already named in this thread with A*AC for courses with minimum entry requirements of BBB or above then you would stand to be rejected even though you already have your grades so in that respect, your situation is similar to the OP.
Original post by oxymoronic
Please read my comments in the rest of the thread.

Your situation is different to the OP because if you are given an offer with your grades it will be unconditional. The OP is discussing whether come results day, universities will accept a C in lieu of a B which is a different matter entirely. If they accept your application and give you an unconditional offer even though you technically don't have the grades, that's one thing, having them give out a conditional offer of AAB and then not meeting it with A*AC is a different thing entirely. This is because it is completely dependent on how many other people meet their offer and how many people they then have as unconditional offer holders in comparison to the number of places they have funding for, as I explained in every other post in the thread.

However, were you to apply to certain universities already named in this thread with A*AC for courses with minimum entry requirements of BBB or above then you would stand to be rejected even though you already have your grades so in that respect, your situation is similar to the OP.

Please read the rest of my post before you try and patronise me. Thanks.
Original post by Wookie42
No one is saying you aren't academically able, but if a university asks for ABB, it doesn't mean they'll consider you with AAC - simply because they see a C grade as too low and having an A or even A* may not counter that. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you'll get into some great universities, but don't kid yourself into thinking that ABB = AAC.

That's the thing, I'm hearing so many contrasting views, I don't know what the definitive answer is, if there even is one.

Lancaster and RHUL have said that they'd consider me with the grades I have, some people on here are saying theres absolutely no way I'd get into a BBB university because I have a C at AS.

We were told at college that grades average out, which is why I held the belief that A*AC was generally seen to be as good as AAB. Now I know that that isn't strictly the case, it just confuses matters, as my grades are obviously better than a BBC university but not good enough for BBB according to some people.

I need clarification directly from the universities involved, so I've taken to contacting them to resolve this.
That's just it, there isn't a definitive answer. I sent off my application a few days ago and judging by the comments on here I'll be getting five rejections :|

I suppose I'd just better hope my mitigating circumstances make them a bit more sympathetic.

Please read the rest of my post before you try and patronise me. Thanks.

I did read it. My post was confirming that what you said about it being different in terms of unconditional offers is true as what has happened in your situation with Sussex may not happen in the context of the OPs situation.
Reply 54
GCSEs - B, C, C, C, C, CC, D, E, EE
AS - A, A, C
A2 predictions - A*, A, C

This leaves me with a bit of a predicament.

My GCSE grades aren't really university standard. I mean, they're not 'poor', I got at least a C in English, Maths and Science but for universities that place emphasis on GCSEs (LSE and Durham, for instance) they're certainly not good enough.

The C at AS also leaves me in a state of confusion as to where to apply to. If I got A*, A, C at A2, would a BBB university take me on, or would I have to apply to a BBC university?

I'd really appreciate some help from someone who knows UCAS a lot better than I do, or someone who has been in this situation before.

Thanks.

There's a chance you might get unconditionals with an A*AC at A2 (if you reapply on a gap year), but the chance is small and the chance of you even getting a conditional of BBB and higher with those predicted grades is even smaller.

I got A*AC; I'm not about to take the risk of applying to ABB and higher universities with just my grades, so I'm taking an extra A Level in my gap year. I hope to bring my grades to A*A*AC or even A*AAC. To me, the C is underachievement, but it's because I was stupid to take Biology in the first place. You live and learn.

Also, universities will be stricter on results day than at the time of application, I'd imagine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 55
That's the thing, I'm hearing so many contrasting views, I don't know what the definitive answer is, if there even is one.

Lancaster and RHUL have said that they'd consider me with the grades I have, some people on here are saying theres absolutely no way I'd get into a BBB university because I have a C at AS.

We were told at college that grades average out, which is why I held the belief that A*AC was generally seen to be as good as AAB. Now I know that that isn't strictly the case, it just confuses matters, as my grades are obviously better than a BBC university but not good enough for BBB according to some people.

I need clarification directly from the universities involved, so I've taken to contacting them to resolve this.

Good stuff, you're definitely doing the right thing. As you say, some universities allow you to average it out, whereas some don't. Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending