The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

MA / One year degrees?

Hello everyone!
I am considering returning to Warwick to do an MA or another year of study.
At the risk of asking a silly question, do you have to do an MA in a subject that you have already studied and have a degree in? Or is there the opportunity to take up something new? Or if not for a full MA, is there another type of degree that offers this?
I'd love to do another degree or study further, but only for a year, and most undergrad degree courses are obviously 3-4 years long.
I am undecided at the moment whether I would want to study one of my own subjects further (English, for example), or opt for something else that interests me.

Thanks for any advice :-)
(edited 13 years ago)
There is no funding of course, unless you intend to try for a PhD.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Miss_Scarlet
Hello everyone!
I am considering returning to Warwick to do an MA or another year of study.
At the risk of asking a silly question, do you have to do an MA in a subject that you have already studied and have a degree in? Or is there the opportunity to take up something new? Or if not for a full MA, is there another type of degree that offers this?
I'd love to do another degree or study further, but only for a year, and most undergrad degree courses are obviously 3-4 years long.
I am undecided at the moment whether I would want to study one of my own subjects further (English, for example), or opt for something else that interests me.

Thanks for any advice :-)

PG Diploma if it's in an unrelated subject, and then move into an MA
Reply 3
Original post by Focus08
PG Diploma if it's in an unrelated subject, and then move into an MA

What? You can take up a different subject for an MA if you want, no need to do anything else.

To the OP, I'd check the requirements for the individual MAs themselves. For many of them, you don't need any previous degrees in that field, though it always helps, but there are some which demand you have done a BA in a similar subject.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Hylean
What? You can take up a different subject for an MA if you want, no need to do anything else.

To the OP, I'd check the requirements for the individual MAs themselves. For many of them, you don't need any previous degrees in that field, though it always helps, but there are some which demand you have done a BA in a similar subject.

Yeah, they're called PG Diplomas, which you have to do before proceeding to an MA
Reply 5
Original post by Focus08
Yeah, they're called PG Diplomas, which you have to do before proceeding to an MA

No, you don't. If Warwick demanded that, it'd be going against pretty much every other university system in the UK.
Reply 6
Original post by Hylean
No, you don't. If Warwick demanded that, it'd be going against pretty much every other university system in the UK.

Yeah, some MAs don't need a PGDip. For an MSc in Econ, if you haven't done a BSc at a top school, you need a PGDip. Int relations also have a PGDip if you haven't done a politics-related degree. LSE have a diploma in A&F for people who have done a history degree, for example.
Reply 7
Thanks everyone, I will check the individual course details!
Reply 8
I'm doing an MA at Warwick (Religious, Social and Cultural History, 1500-1750), and a couple of people on my course have undergraduate degrees in other subjects (including English). :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah you can definitely do an MA in something other than your undergrad degree. So long as it's a little bit relevant or it's stated in the entry reqs that they accept any discipline you'll probably be fine! No need to do a PGDip first unless you want to.

Latest

Trending

Trending