The Student Room Group

I need help choosing options (grades matching)

I've been predicted A*A*A(B), but I think I'm most likely to get A*AB. Would A*AB with the A in the chosen course subject get me in? Also, on the insurance end, if I were to get AAC, would I get into a course asking for ABB?

Thankfully I have a bunch of modules in January and the results of these modules will help me to decide my firm and insurance, but right now I'm just trying to figure out what to stick down for my 5 and how much range in the entry requirements I should have.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
into what?
Reply 2
Original post by connie93
into what?

Assuming you are asking the course, Economics. The A*s are Maths and Economics, the A in further maths and the B in History.
Original post by morrison11

I've been predicted A*A*A(B), but I think I'm most likely to get A*AB. Would A*AB with the A in the chosen course subject get me in? Also, on the insurance end, if I were to get AAC, would I get into a course asking for ABB?

In general, no, because you will not have met the minimum entry requirements of having all subjects at the grades the university wants. If they want ABB then they want all grades to be a B or above, regardless of what else you get, if you get a C then you're not showing that level of achievement. Similarly, an AAA university is saying the minimum they will accept is 3 As and getting a B is not attaining that minimum requirement.

It all depends on the university policy and how many other people make their offers and where you stand in relation to them. If enough people make their offer then regardless of how many A*s rather than Bs you have if you didn't meet the offer then they wouldn't be taking you. Some universities have policies that they will not accept people who miss their grades at all whereas others will do it on a case by case basis.

Thankfully I have a bunch of modules in January and the results of these modules will help me to decide my firm and insurance, but right now I'm just trying to figure out what to stick down for my 5 and how much range in the entry requirements I should have.

What are your AS grades? Are you likely to meet your predictions, or are your teachers being very generous? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by La Songeuse
What are your AS grades? Are you likely to meet your predictions, or are your teachers being very generous? :smile:

Good question: I have an A in Maths A2, 90 and 92 in my Economics modules, 75 overall in my History AS and I got 69 and 71 in my first two Further Maths modules. So as you can see, it's my other two subjects (F.Maths and History) that I'm worried about. Maths is guarenteed A and Economics is virtually guarenteed an A, but I'm worried about the third, and I'm not confident that I can make an A.
I would say just make sure you have a really good insurance choice ? Maybe ABB
Good question: I have an A in Maths A2, 90 and 92 in my Economics modules, 75 overall in my History AS and I got 69 and 71 in my first two Further Maths modules. So as you can see, it's my other two subjects (F.Maths and History) that I'm worried about. Maths is guarenteed A and Economics is virtually guarenteed an A, but I'm worried about the third, and I'm not confident that I can make an A.

I might be wrong but isn't 75 an A in the History AS? And a B in the Further Maths? Are you finding A2 difficult and you think you might drop a grade?

Entry requirements are a weird thing to be honest, you will probably find that A*AB does NOT equate out to AAA and your university will not accept you. (You should email undergraduate admissions and check with them because they might have a policy of accepting A*AB in lieu of AAA). Also - that applies for your insurance, double-check with your choices about whether they'd accept AAC instead of ABB... it's always really difficult to tell because it's pretty much university discretion!
Reply 8
Its okay to have one or two risky choices, and one or two "safe bets" Like ABB or BBB :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending