The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

nottingham economics offer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doughnuts!!
This may absolutely spiteful and mean (and there's not really any sensitive way to word this) but you haven't got a rejection from UCL yet?!?! There was a whole spate of rejections for L100 a few days ago and they were all given to candidates with straight A* at GCSE and straight A* predictions for A-Level. :confused:

Thanks....

Don't worry i didn't take this offensively, i agree with you. Such brilliant candidates were rejected. I don't know what's happening with my application, but no rejection so far.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!
Thanks....

Don't worry i didn't take this offensively, i agree with you. Such brilliant candidates were rejected. I don't know what's happening with my application, but no rejection so far.

Hmmm...maybe there's something they like about you! Or maybe your AEA Maths was considered such a valuable asset that they just felt the urge to give you an offer! :awesome:
Hmmm...maybe there's something they like about you! Or maybe your AEA Maths was considered such a valuable asset that they just felt the urge to give you an offer! :awesome:

Maybe.. now to achieve the AEA haha, but i don't have an offer yet. Still waiting.
Reply 23
This may absolutely spiteful and mean (and there's not really any sensitive way to word this) but you haven't got a rejection from UCL yet?!?! There was a whole spate of rejections for L100 a few days ago and they were all given to candidates with straight A* at GCSE and straight A* predictions for A-Level. :confused:

Maybe they thought they plagiarised their PS :s-smilie:

Also what is a 'whole spat', where these people from different schools, regions, countries, and finally how do you know this?
Reply 24
Original post by danny111
Maybe they thought they plagiarised their PS :s-smilie:

Also what is a 'whole spat', where these people from different schools, regions, countries, and finally how do you know this?

It's on the UCL applicants thread. I think there was a mix of people- there was certainly a mix of international and local applicants getting rejected. It also seems that people were rejected for different reasons, some for their PS, some on academic grounds, presumably less than 9 GCSE A*s as this was the cut off last year and the rejected apps had strong A levels. Still, it is very surprising that they would make such quick decisions with very strong candidates.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ray_Han
It's on the UCL applicants thread. I think there was a mix of people- there was certainly a mix of international and local applicants getting rejected. It also seems that people were rejected for different reasons, some for their PS, some on academic grounds, presumably less than 9 GCSE A*s as this was the cut off last year and the rejected apps had strong A levels. Still, it is very surprising that they would make such quick decisions with very strong candidates.

Thanks for answering for me!

I don't think that they were all cos of GSCE grades. A few people got rejected with straight A* at GCSE.
My friend has no A* at GCSE and has already applied to UCL but won't listen to my advice to change it something less risky!
Reply 26
Original post by Ray_Han

No, it's not.

>3000 applicants for ca. 185 places.

Even allowing for rejection of offers for LSE / Oxbridge, I bet the offer : applicant ratio is low.
****ing hell I still haven't applied and people are already getting offers :frown:
Reply 28
No, it's not.

Even allowing for rejection of offers for LSE / Oxbridge, I bet the offer : applicant ratio is low.

Well I'm not saying that it is surprising that they got rejected- I am saying it is surprising they got rejected this early. UCL can't have gone through that many applications, and will not have received every application yet, so I would have thought they would wait before committing to a decision, especially with 10A* + 4A* at a level predicted candidates.
Original post by violinist93
in case you haven't realised danny111 a hell of a lot depends on what school you go to. if you go to a run down state school, you'd probably get in most places :angry:

No i dont come from a state school, i come from a school where people are generally described as posh public school *****.
Reply 30
Original post by LethalResistant
Got an offer for straight economics 2 days ago

Well done man, what are your grades?
Didn't do GCSEs, got AAAAB for AS, A*A for A2 last yr.. Not really exceptional
Reply 32
No, it's not.

Are you saying UCL rejected the people they thought they knew would get into OXb/LSE :frown:
Reply 33
Original post by Ray_Han
Well I'm not saying that it is surprising that they got rejected- I am saying it is surprising they got rejected this early. UCL can't have gone through that many applications, and will not have received every application yet, so I would have thought they would wait before committing to a decision, especially with 10A* + 4A* at a level predicted candidates.

Are you pred all A*, and did you get all A* at GCSE
Reply 34
Original post by quizzo
Are you saying UCL rejected the people they thought they knew would get into OXb/LSE :frown:

No.

I said that even if they take into account that some people they make offers to will choose the others as first choice, those numbers still suggest a that the offer : applicant ratio will be low, hence not very surprising that they rejected strong candidates.
Reply 35
Original post by Ray_Han

But how many did they actually reject? 5, 10, 20? Do you know?
Reply 36
But how many did they actually reject? 5, 10, 20? Do you know?

I counted 8 on the UCL thread. I presume there must be more not on TSR. I accept that they have to reject strong candidates, what I am surprised about is that they are rejecting these candidates so early. I think they would make around 300-400 offers (Oxbridge is 250+ places, LSE is another 180, some people might reject for Warwick as well). In that case the applicants to offers would be around 7-10:1. This is still very competitive, but less than the 15:1 applicant:tongue:lace ratio. Now there is likely to be a significant number who are applying with far lower grades than some who got rejected, and also bad personal statements, so I would have thought they would wait before making the definitive decision to reject the people they did.
Original post by quizzo
Are you pred all A*, and did you get all A* at GCSE

Yes (apart from general studies), but I didn't get rejected from UCL L100 and am applying for L101 anyway. Why do you ask?
Reply 37
Original post by Ray_Han
I counted 8 on the UCL thread. I presume there must be more not on TSR. I accept that they have to reject strong candidates, what I am surprised about is that they are rejecting these candidates so early. I think they would make around 300-400 offers (Oxbridge is 250+ places, LSE is another 180, some people might reject for Warwick as well). In that case the applicants to offers would be around 7-10:1. This is still very competitive, but less than the 15:1 applicant:tongue:lace ratio. Now there is likely to be a significant number who are applying with far lower grades than some who got rejected, and also bad personal statements, so I would have thought they would wait before making the definitive decision to reject the people they did.

Yes (apart from general studies), but I didn't get rejected from UCL L100 and am applying for L101 anyway. Why do you ask?

Speculation.

I think these guys just didn't have a good enough PS (in what UCL sees as good, they do state this in the pdf for BSc Economics).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Ray_Han

whats the dfference between L100 and L101?
Reply 39
Speculation.

I think these guys just didn't have a good enough PS (in what UCL sees as good, they do state this in the pdf for BSc Economics).

Yeh you're probably right, some of them got feedback. Some of them were rejected due to a bad PS, some on academic grounds, which is suspect is a GCSE cut off.
Original post by angelic03
whats the dfference between L100 and L101?

L101 is the international programme, where you to North America in the 3rd year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending