Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When did you first realise your love for lawnmowers?

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always loved lawnmowers, ever since I was a small child and got a small unexplainable tingle in my....belly as I watched my dad push it to and fro in the garden. I just couldn't get enough of its cutting action, the way it just scythed down the grass fascinated me for hours. Then as a teenager I saved up for months for my first flymo, God it was glorious. It kept me entertained on many long and lonely teenage nights.

What about you guys?
    • 11 followers

I'm also into lawnmowers. There's something special about a really classic vintage one for me, something you have to shove over every little bump in your garden, and empty by hand into the bin. And by gad, do the trimmings smell good afterwards! Nothing else can give you that sensation quite like a vintage lawnmower.

If anyone else is interested in lawnmowers, vintage or otherwise, sign up here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1001
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it difficult to remember, it was so long ago.

Perhaps around 3 or 4? :dontknow: There's something strangely erotic about something so powerful being pushed around a garden, back and forth, back and forth. I can't explain it. Similar to a religious experience, there are just no words.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    my feelings towards lawnmowers confuse me. it's strange. sometimes euphoric and unbelievably satisfying. sometimes so frustrating and lonely. i'm scared, maybe i think i will have to look elsewhere for satisfaction .
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I was very young. First it was vacuum cleaners for me (but no longer!). Everything became a variation on a "hoover" so a lawnmower was clearly a grass-hoover. When I needed an X-ray the machine was a "light hoover" obviously.

It's only recently I've 'come out' about my love of all things mechanical. A petrol mower is leaps and bounds better than an electric one, although I loved the flymo and flicking the flex over it.

Starting a petrol engine with a sharp pull, the smell of petrol, the seeing how much you can cut on the dregs of petrol. All great fun.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    my feelings towards lawnmowers confuse me. it's strange. sometimes euphoric and unbelievably satisfying. sometimes so frustrating and lonely. sometimes i think i have to look elsewhere for satisfaction .

:hugs:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah why not.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is all quite peculiar.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

:sogood:

I especially love its ribbed roller
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm more of a 'vacuum-cleaner' type myself.
    lawn-mowers are just horticultural wannabes :u:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

We have this old boy and also a trusty hayter
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My dad were a caretaker for a school and took care of t'gardens too.
    I remember when he opened the big metal doors of the sheds at the back of the school and before me stood tall 4 different lawnmower.
    My favourite two were the small manual one and the one that's like a little tractor
    Smell of freshly cut grass...:sogood:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, lawnmowers :coma:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by $tar£reaker)
    My dad were a caretaker for a school and took care of t'gardens too.
    I remember when he opened the big metal doors of the sheds at the back of the school and before me stood tall 4 different lawnmower.
    My favourite two were the small manual one and the one that's like a little tractor
    Smell of freshly cut grass...:sogood:
    Haha thats cool, mmmm freshly cut grass is amazing and also was that little tractor orange by any chance? Orange Kubotas.....:sexface:
    • 11 followers

I'm so glad this group has been so popular so far. Lawnmowers ****ing rock!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_183)
    Haha thats cool, mmmm freshly cut grass is amazing and also was that little tractor orange by any chance? Orange Kubotas.....:sexface:
    Yeah it was orange lol!! Those were the days :moon:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do enjoy cutting the lawn - there's a certain element of creativity involved - you know, shall I mow horizontally or vertically. My fave part is mowing the neglected patches recklessly at the end in one last stand. Not a big fan of raking the lawn though, I think it's a bit queer.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by $tar£reaker)
    Yeah it was orange lol!! Those were the days :moon:
    Haha what a beauty, nice little Kubota with a 3 cyclinder diesel engine approx 15hp, pto, flail mower out the back.... Lovelyy
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    I'm so glad this group has been so popular so far. Lawnmowers ****ing rock!!
    Yeah totally buddy, miss mowing the lawn whilst being at uni ah well something to look forward to back home!!
    • 32 followers

My love for lawnmowers is inextricably linked to the smell of freshly cut grass. :coma:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: September 29, 2011
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.