The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Germany.

Strong economy, good location within Europe, brilliant from a historical point of view and quality beer.

It's perfect from a football point of view as well. The choice of sitting or standing, being able to have a pint on the terraces and fans aren't forced to pay rip off prices. Germany also has one of the best international teams in the world. What i'd give to have all that here.
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Turkey. :p:

Turkey's got more land in continental Europe than the United Kingdom has, and this land is home to approximately 10 million people or more. That's a larger population than some European countries. Also, much of Eastern and Central Europe was part of the Turkish empire for centuries. It is very much a part of Europe and its history.

Turkey is not a European country.
Original post by sr90
Germany.

Strong economy, good location within Europe, brilliant from a historical point of view and quality beer.

It's perfect from a football point of view as well. The choice of sitting or standing, being able to have a pint on the terraces and fans aren't forced to pay rip off prices. Germany also has one of the best international teams in the world. What i'd give to have all that here.

One could question that.
Denmark :smile:
Original post by domino0806
Turkey is not a European country.

Strong argument. :sigh:

An argument would be superfluous in this situation. It simply isn't.
An argument would be superfluous in this situation. It simply isn't.

I don't think you realise the definition or concept of Europe. Geographically speaking, the British Isle are not a part of the European continent. For centuries, Scandanavia was considered to be outside of the Christian European world. If you cannot define something, or state its existence, then you have no pretext in which to comment.
Reply 67

95% of Turkey's population lives outside of Europe, are you suggesting Egypt, Tunisia and Moroco are also European because tiny parts of their territory lie in Europe?

Should Spain and Italy be members of the African Union because minute parts of their territory lie in Africa?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ak56
95% of Turkey's population lives outside of Europe, are you suggesting Egypt, Tunisia and Moroco are also European because tiny parts of their territory lie in Europe?

No, they do not. :facepalm2:

ak56
Should Spain and Italy be members of the African Union because minute parts of their territory lie in Africa?

Why don't you take a visit to your local primary school and have a sit down while the teacher starts teaching geography to the little children...
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think you realise the definition or concept of Europe. Geographically speaking, the British Isle are not a part of the European continent. For centuries, Scandanavia was considered to be outside of the Christian European world. If you cannot define something, or state its existence, then you have no pretext in which to comment.

Bleurgh, what is this waffle, why are you so desperate to be considered European? Can't you embrace your little culture and stop being ridiculous. And the small part of that country that is geographically in Europe was stolen from Byzantium anyway.
Reply 70
I like Germany.
Reply 71
Belgium, Scandinavian countries, Netherlands and Russia, yes RUSSIA.

Why don't you take a visit to your local primary school and have a sit down while the teacher starts teaching geography to the little children...

Oh have you not heard of Ceuta and Melilla then?

Google it :wink:
Reply 73
As I am dutch, I am compelled to say... Holland (The Netherlands). We reclaimed our land from the sea, hehe cummon, thats awsome :P
Bleurgh, what is this waffle, why are you so desperate to be considered European?

I'm not European. My parents are from Cyprus and Anatolia. But there are quite a lot of Turks who are European, both ethnically and geographically.

domino0806
And the small part of that country that is geographically in Europe was stolen from Byzantium anyway.

Yes, we stole the culture of Byzantium, whom in turn stole the culture of the Romans. The Turks who stole the culture of Byzantium stole the culture of the Arabs beforehand. The Turks who stole the culture of the Arabs stole the culture of the Persians beforehand. The Turks who stole...

I don't think you have the slightest clue about Turkey or the Turks and I'd advise you not to comment on them in the near future unless you're willing to educate yourself on the subject.

Let us also not forget that English culture also has a very varied history, with the exchanges in culture between the Celts, Angles, Saxons, Norsemen, etc. The same can be said of most peoples and countries.
Original post by Xristina
are you from greece or something?? I just can't see how people would say that if they weren't greek. the people can be nice but they are mainly rude and not helpful at all (Im not talking about a tavern owner, Im talking about the actual people, those you need in your everyday life (taxi/bus drivers, public workers etc), the food is indeed good (souvlaki ftw) but the country has so many problems. It needs a radical change in ideology, organisation, education etc.

anyway, as a greek myself I love the country, I wouldn't change being greek, I would however change many things in greece. I think that only people who trully love their country have the courage and the ability to criticise it.

Really, I find Greek people to be really nice. It's funny you should say that, because my bf said it's Greek girls who are unfriendly :p: (he is Greek btw). But I dunno, they seemed nice to me :smile:

As for the best country. I can't just pick one, so many countries have their highlights, and all of them have their problems.
Reply 76

You are such a dumb****. Malta is more south than nearly half of Tunisia and is a part of the EU, most of Siciliy is more South than Tunisia. Likewise the Northern part of Morocco is more south than both Malta, therefore parts of these countries are in European territory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceuta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melilla

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicily

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lampedusa
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm not European. My parents are from Cyprus and Anatolia. But there are quite a lot of Turks who are European, both ethnically and geographically.

Yes, we stole the culture of Byzantium, whom in turn stole the culture of the Romans. The Turks who stole the culture of Byzantium stole the culture of the Arabs beforehand. The Turks who stole the culture of the Arabs stole the culture of the Persians beforehand. The Turks who stole...

I don't think you have the slightest clue about Turkey or the Turks and I'd advise you not to comment on them in the near future unless you're willing to educate yourself on the subject.

Let us also not forget that English culture also has a very varied history, with the exchanges in culture between the Celts, Angles, Saxons, Norsemen, etc. The same can be said of most peoples and countries.

Sorry I didn't say it stole Byzantine culture, merely Byzantine land, Russia is clearly the inheritor of Byzantine culture. Turkey is quite simply is not a European country. Turkish is not a European language, turkish people are not European, they're turkic, like Uzbeks, Kazakhs, etc.
Oh have you not heard of Ceuta and Melilla then?

There are countries who have options. For example, Cyprus could have chosen to be a part of the European, Asian or African continents, regarding sporting tournaments for example.

Regarding Spain, the country was ruled by Arabs and North Africans for many many centuries, and its history is intrinsically linked with them. The long standing Ummayard Caliphate and the Moors spring to mind. Spain is still tainted by the Arabs and Islam, despite its best efforts to destroy such history.

Nonetheless, those two territories you mention are not the homeland of the people. Whereas the Turks of Eastern Thrace have a long standing historical connection with the place. The former capital of the Ottoman Empire, Edirne (Adrianope) was in Thrace. If we talk about the Turks in the purest sense, then they don't belong to Anatolia, Asia Minor, or the 'Middle East' either. They migrated from Central Asia. But through time, migration, conquest and cultural integration, they've become the established 'home owners' of Asia Minor.
Norway and Sweden. Hawt chicks.

Switzerland is pretty cool too.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending