The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RamocitoMorales
There are countries who have options. For example, Cyprus could have chosen to be a part of the European, Asian or African continents, regarding sporting tournaments for example.

Regarding Spain, the country was ruled by Arabs and North Africans for many many centuries, and its history is intrinsically linked with them. The long standing Ummayard Caliphate and the Moors spring to mind. Spain is still tainted by the Arabs and Islam, despite its best efforts to destroy such history.

Nonetheless, those two territories you mention are not the homeland of the people. Whereas the Turks of Eastern Thrace have a long standing historical connection with the place.
The former capital of the Ottoman Empire, Edirne (Adrianope) was in Thrace. If we talk about the Turks in the purest sense, then they don't belong to Anatolia, Asia Minor, or the 'Middle East' either. They migrated from Central Asia. But through time, migration, conquest and cultural integration, they've become the established 'home owners' of Asia Minor.

What, that's ridiculous the Spanish conquered Ceuta fifty years after the Turks captured Constaninople so you're argument is null. Edirne was captured in 1365, again hardly an argument there.
Original post by domino0806
Sorry I didn't say it stole Byzantine culture, merely Byzantine land.

Not, it did steal Byzantian culture, and Fatih Sultan Mehmet actually crowned himself as 'Cesar' after the conquest of Constantinople. There are also examples of architecture, and lifestyles of the monarchy.

Istanbul was also recently (2010) crowned the 'European Capital of Culture'.

domino0806
Russia is clearly the inheritor of Byzantine culture.

Russia was the inheritor as leader of Orthodox Christendom, not of Rome.

domino0806
Turkish is not a European language

I know, it's a Turkic, Altaic language.

domino0806
turkish people are not European, they're turkic, like Uzbeks, Kazakhs, etc.

You do realise the Hungarians (Magyars) also came from Central Asia? Yet they're considered to be a European nation.

ak56
You are such a dumb****. Malta is more south than nearly half of Tunisia and is a part of the EU, most of Siciliy is more South than Tunisia. Likewise the Northern part of Morocco is more south than both Malta, therefore parts of these countries are in European territory.

The continent of Europe has nothing to do with longitude. It's a landmass, which is also linked with Asia.
Reply 82
Britain. Otherwise France
Badass Romania. The language is like a Latin, French, Slav, Italian hybrid. The History is immense. Beautiful landscape. Vampires. And the ladies are :dance: What more could you want?
Reply 84
G e r m a n y !
Reply 85
Original post by Indigenous Scoti
Turkey is not European, its people are not European, nor its culture or values

Geographically and politically it's European. I small part of it is situated in Asia nonetheless.
Not, it did steal Byzantian culture, and Fatih Sultan Mehmet actually crowned himself as 'Cesar' after the conquest of Constantinople. There are also examples of architecture, and lifestyles of the monarchy.

Istanbul was also recently (2010) crowned the 'European Capital of Culture'.

Russia was the inheritor as leader of Orthodox Christendom, not of Rome.

I know, it's a Turkic, Altaic language.

You do realise the Hungarians (Magyars) also came from Central Asia? Yet they're considered to be a European nation.

The continent of Europe has nothing to do with longitude. It's a landmass, which is also linked with Asia.

Oh I know he "crowned himself" the Emperor of Rome, so what? How do you think the rulers of Russia derived their claim to the title of Tsar(Emperor)? Culturally Russia is clearly the inheritor of Byzantium. Hungarians are Finno-Ugric, along with Fins and Estonians, not Turkic. Also Hungarians had a hobby of decapitating Turks, which I find ever so amusing.
Germany because im part German and because of my familys history fighting for Germany in wars plus its economy is great at the moment.
Reply 88
Austria seems a nice place to live too. It has history, culture, architecture and people's standard of living and quality of life are relatively high.
Reply 89
The scandinavian countries such as Denmark, Sweden, Norway or Finland are ****ing awesome.

I mean, Finland produced this guy :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWuyrlXI7nA
Original post by domino0806
Also Hungarians had a hobby of decapitating Turks, which I find ever so amusing.

Hungary was ruled by the Turks for centuries. Not the other way round. We also took Europeans as slaves, used them as concubines and sometimes even turned them against their own kinsmen, the Jannisaries being an example.

The Battle of Mohács. :sogood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0yK2PLlGBk

Absolutely slaughtered the forces of the Kingdom of Hungary, Kingdom of Croatia, Kingdom of Poland, Kingdom of Bohemia, Holy Roman Empire and the Holy League all in one go. :hahaha:
(edited 13 years ago)
Germany
Original post by dnumberwang
Deutschland :smile:

But Italy has the best women imo

Spanish women. :coma:
Hungary was ruled by the Turks for centuries. Not the other way round. We also took Europeans as slaves, used them as concubines and sometimes even turned them against their own kinsmen, the Jannisaries being an example.

The Battle of Mohács. :sogood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0yK2PLlGBk

Absolutely slaughtered the forces of the Kingdom of Hungary, Kingdom of Croatia, Kingdom of Poland, Kingdom of Bohemia, Holy Roman Empire and the Holy League all in one go. :hahaha:

Battle of Vienna is all I'll say.
Reply 94
My favourite country in Europe? Well i'd have to say my home nation,

The United States of America!

(joke :P)
Original post by SpiritedAway
Really, I find Greek people to be really nice. It's funny you should say that, because my bf said it's Greek girls who are unfriendly :p: (he is Greek btw). But I dunno, they seemed nice to me :smile:

As for the best country. I can't just pick one, so many countries have their highlights, and all of them have their problems.

Im not talking about people you will meet over coffee or something, I am talking about people you'll have to encounter when you are trying to get a job done. Every day, when I go to uni, when I try to get some paperwork done, when I need to go to a public service, I will have to deal with grumpy people who just can't be arsed to work. This is a fact about Greece, to the extent that if you meet a friendly person in a public service for example you 'll tell your friends about it and they won't believe you. God, when we were trying to collect the paperwork to apply for erasmus there was this one woman who was actually helpful, we couldn't believe our luck!! Most times they don't pick up phones, they don't answer emails, even face to face they ignore you. This has never happened to me in England. People actually dread dealing with public services in Greece....anyway....

Now, I'm sure these people will be lovely when they are out relaxing with their friends, but why would this matter? They are payed to do their job and they don't do it properly.

As for your bf, he seems to be generalising quite a lot. I can mention many situations where men have been unfriendly obviously...At least women don't spit in the middle of the street like savages!
Reply 96
Original post by Xristina
Im not talking about people you will meet over coffee or something, I am talking about people you'll have to encounter when you are trying to get a job done. Every day, when I go to uni, when I try to get some paperwork done, when I need to go to a public service, I will have to deal with grumpy people who just can't be arsed to work. This is a fact about Greece, to the extent that if you meet a friendly person in a public service for example you 'll tell your friends about it and they won't believe you. God, when we were trying to collect the paperwork to apply for erasmus there was this one woman who was actually helpful, we couldn't believe our luck!! Most times they don't pick up phones, they don't answer emails, even face to face they ignore you. This has never happened to me in England. People actually dread dealing with public services in Greece....anyway....

Now, I'm sure these people will be lovely when they are out relaxing with their friends, but why would this matter? They are payed to do their job and they don't do it properly.

As for your bf, he seems to be generalising quite a lot. I can mention many situations where men have been unfriendly obviously...At least women don't spit in the middle of the street like savages!

Original post by Xristina

I've been to Greece twice and I have to say they're definitely the nicest nation of people I've ever met, they're very sociable and helpful
Original post by Lewis :D
I've been to Greece twice and I have to say they're definitely the nicest nation of people I've ever met, they're very sociable and helpful

Im sure you know better :tongue::wink:

I feel abit guilty trying to persuade people we are lazy bastards because obviously there are people who are exactly as you say they are and cause I wanna count myself as one of them, so I'll leave it to that :biggrin:

I just really hate the public servants (who are a very big percentage in Greece) but as I said tourists won't have to deal with them as much, so please do come again :smile:

we have nice food :biggrin:
Personally, I adore France. I went to Paris when I was younger but wasn't really old enough to really appreciate it; their culture and language fascinates me. I'd love to again in the future :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
Well I've only been to the UK and France, in terms of European countries, and I'll have to say, of the two, United Kingdom.

Latest