The Student Room Group

A reformed character's personal statement

I have decided to go ahead with my application to University for next September to do nursing. I have filled in my UCAS form and made a spider graph as a start to my personal statement. I'm 36 and so have lived quite a bit of life up to now. To put it plainly I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder when I was in my mid 20's and I recognised I had an alcohol problem just over 15 months ago ( I'm 15 months sober today, :biggrin: ). But before that I had been in trouble and had some problems. I changed my life 15 months ago, but I got into trouble with the police on 1 occasion just over 2 years ago and ended up having to pay an £80 fine because of it. Since I stopped drinking I became a member of my local Church, I work with the kids and teenagers there and I have don't even recognise the person that I was before I stopped drinking. That was another side of me entirely and one that no longer exists.

My question is, do I mention the fact that I've had these problems and done so much hard work to improve myself. If the Uni check my CRB record the arrest might show up and if they get a medical check of me then my alcoholism and mental health problems are on there.
Reply 1
On UCAS you have to declare if you have a criminal record or not, and on a similar thread here I believe the verdict was you should notify the universities you're applying to - better that way than if they find you've been keeping it from them?
Reply 2
Oh I had no plans not to declare my criminal past (that sounds so awful). However what I wondered is should I devote a paragraph to how I've changed my life around?
Reply 3
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Reply 4
Original post by blef74
I have decided to go ahead with my application to University for next September to do nursing. I have filled in my UCAS form and made a spider graph as a start to my personal statement. I'm 36 and so have lived quite a bit of life up to now. To put it plainly I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder when I was in my mid 20's and I recognised I had an alcohol problem just over 15 months ago ( I'm 15 months sober today, :biggrin: ). But before that I had been in trouble and had some problems. I changed my life 15 months ago, but I got into trouble with the police on 1 occasion just over 2 years ago and ended up having to pay an £80 fine because of it. Since I stopped drinking I became a member of my local Church, I work with the kids and teenagers there and I have don't even recognise the person that I was before I stopped drinking. That was another side of me entirely and one that no longer exists.

My question is, do I mention the fact that I've had these problems and done so much hard work to improve myself. If the Uni check my CRB record the arrest might show up and if they get a medical check of me then my alcoholism and mental health problems are on there.

I had similar experience so I guess I can empathise. I thought I would mention it in my application but what I ended up seeing was that there was literally no room to talk about my past history in the PS apart from like 1 passing comment because it had to be so focused on the subject and why I want to study it. I'm guessing they will probably ask me some questions about my history at interview so that's probably the best place to discuss such issues.

You have to declare your CRB records on the UCAS form but I don't think the alcoholism or mental health problems will be visible to universities. However, if you feel it is relevant to your application - perchance your degree deals with such issues - then definitely mention that in your PS; otherwise I don't think you will have much space for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending