The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cowsgoquack
Indian people are more clever and caring.

LOL spat my drink out at that one, good one to you sir, good one indeed if thats why you think they always do medicine.

Original post by Warrior King
True say but most if not all the (indian) doctors I know fit those categories...ok maybe except for broad-mindedness.

Wow strong generalisation....
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Being a doctor has been considered a particularly respectable job in Indian culture - more so than in many other cultures.

It's sort of a "family friendly" profession. After a while of being in the job, you can locate yourself wherever you want (doctors are needed everywhere) so you can be near the rest of your (probably large, close-knit family). You don't have to travel ridiculous distances, you can get very sociable hours if you want them, you can get part-time work if you want it etc. And with all that, it's still fairly decent money, considered "difficult" to get into by academic standards, and respectable work.

For many Indian people, it's everything you could want.

You mean to say there is actually something out there better than Medicine?

Oh my God I don't believe this, Nehru would be rolling in his grave if he hadn't been cremated.

I mean I once met Ricky Hatton and told him I was going to be a doctor and he seemed pretty envious and disappointed he wasn't clever enough to go to medical school. Sure he has more money than I have (or maybe ever will) but his brains have been bashed to a pulp and he's a junkie in rehab now so the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

:tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by SoaringStar
Why are they? i know its beacuse theyve been bullied by parents, but why? why are there so many indian doctors? so many Dr Mohammeds and Ali, I love cultural diversity, but just curious? they have high ratio between population in uk and consultant population?

ty

I'm not Asian but I have many Asian friends, and from what I see they're not being bullied into medicine. Asians tend to be very competitive and are raised in an environment where school is so important. One Indian boy I know told me he wants to do medicine because in his home country being a doctor is a big deal, not just because of status but also because one can help care for his or her own people.

Oh my God I don't believe this, Nehru would be rolling in his grave if he hadn't been cremated.

I mean I once met Ricky Hatton and told him I was going to be a doctor and he seemed pretty envious and disappointed he wasn't clever enough to go to medical school. Sure he has more money than I have (or maybe ever will) but his brains have been bashed to a pulp and he's a junkie in rehab now so the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

You are probably deluded if you believe Ricky Hatton is jelous of you because he wanted to go to Med School.

On my travels I've found that the only people who appreciate the amount of tenacity needed to get into and complete med school are the ones who are themselves applying, or have failed in applying.

No-one else gives a ****
Original post by WrigglyMammoth
You are probably deluded if you believe Ricky Hatton is jelous of you because he wanted to go to Med School.

On my travels I've found that the only people who appreciate the amount of tenacity needed to get into and complete med school are the ones who are themselves applying, or have failed in applying.

No-one else gives a ****

You can't get a joke can you?
Reply 45
all these asian docs...

and yet we've never had an Asian Doctor Who.....???

whats going on at the BBC and there 'no darkies' policy for casting the Timelord? Although, to be fair, they'd lose most of their audience if they did that, jut look how they reacted to poor Martha ...

you'll find most with the surname Mohammed or Ali tend to be Pakistani or Bangladeshi although it's worth remembering they were both part of India once.

They were part of the British Raj of India yes, but the country itself by every definition did not really exist pre-British rule.
So its somewhat distasteful to talk about Pakistan and Bangladesh as if the arey breakaways of a greater India.

Banladesh (east Pakistan) as a breakaway of Pakistan is a different matter...
Reply 47
Don't know why everyone is flaming the OP, it isn't an inherently racist question..
Reply 48
Cos we're really clever!
Reply 49

you prob are a med student isnt it???
They sort of saved the NHS back in the day.

Latest

Trending

Trending