The Student Room Group

Torn between two courses.

Hey, I've been giving it a lot of thought as to which degree I'll end up doing if I get the grades and I'm just looking to know other peoples opinion on these courses.

http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/eeecs/ProspectiveStudents/UndergraduateStudies/CGDD/AbouttheCourse/

http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/programmes/programmes.php?code=00587&pg=6

Personally the module content of the Games Development course sounds more interesting but I don't know if I'd be worse off for doing it over the CS in Manchester. I'm from NI too and I would be interested in studying across the waters because I reckon it'll be a good experience to do.

Ultimately I would like to pursue a possible career in programming in the games industry but I hear that its usually more beneficial to have CS background.

I was also wondering what is more beneficial. Doing the BSc in Manchester with the 1 year industrial experience or the MSci. Queen's Masters is a sandwich course so I get the experience plus the extra year of course content.

Finally I'm curious about the difficulty to get into Manchester and if I should even consider the metropolitan as an alternative.
Currently I have an A in Maths, B in Physics and B in Biology. I also have a D in French and an E in Business from the first year I did AS which unfortunately I know I'm required to put down. (I flunked it coming out with DDDE before I repeated and took up Biology). I reckon I should be able to get my A* in my maths if I work hard as I'm sitting on 263. The Biology is 230 and I'm to repeat a module that I know I can easily grab a lot of marks from as it was astoundingly weak compared to my other two units. The Physics is smack bang between A and B at 225.

Any thoughts and help is greatly appreciated and I'm sorry for the wall of text lol.
Reply 1
I'd be more inclined to go with the Manchester course. If you do want to do a games course, then I don't suppose Northern Ireland is the best place to do it. I can only think of one games related company in Ireland (Havok), let alone any in Northern Ireland. It would probably be better to go somewhere with closer links to industry if you go down that path.
Reply 2
Manchester definitely.
Original post by Psyk
I'd be more inclined to go with the Manchester course. If you do want to do a games course, then I don't suppose Northern Ireland is the best place to do it. I can only think of one games related company in Ireland (Havok), let alone any in Northern Ireland. It would probably be better to go somewhere with closer links to industry if you go down that path.

I'm inclined to agree here. Of the two, I'd recommend Manchester, but if you are set on programming in the games industry as a future career, you might want to look further afield to a specific games course from a university with a good reputation in the industry.
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies so far.

I've just heard that Manchester has a good reputation and the general area just appeals to me. The course content looks excellent although less programming orientated than some others I feel that it could serve me equally as well in getting into that industry and perhaps a better choice overall as it leaves me open to more options.
Queens has links with companies outside of northern ireland as far as I am aware to help students get placements. Its just the module content in particular in their degree that looks very interesting. Albeit more specific. A lot of games dev degrees seem quite dubious and have too much content geared towards the design element and specific software packages that could very easily go out of date.

Does any one have any opinions on Manchester Metropolitan University? I would consider there but the the entry requirements seem a bit low and I'd be afraid of doing a mickey mouse degree at around 240-260 ucas points.

Are the University of Manchester quite picky also?
Reply 5
Original post by Metrobeans
I'm inclined to agree here. Of the two, I'd recommend Manchester, but if you are set on programming in the games industry as a future career, you might want to look further afield to a specific games course from a university with a good reputation in the industry.

Or not bother with a games specific course at all. Most people in the games industry didn't do a games specific course. It's not something most companies particularly look for.
Reply 6
Made a mistake here. Disregard! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending